The Difference Between Jennings and Wallace | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Difference Between Jennings and Wallace

juicifer1269

Starter
Reaction score
The only way the Dolphins can get out of paying $8-$12 million a year for a "play-making" WR is to get one in the draft. I feel most fin fans complain about not having and want a play maker at WR, but i feel like most scoff at the idea of paying that much $ for one. I'm definitely not saying that Wallace is worth the $, but he is the best WR on the market. I don't think Wallace is a great fit in the west coast offense, but I think he is the best WR available this off-season. Jennings and Wallace's career stats are very similar although in very different offenses. Jennings is likely the better fit for our team due to his production in the west coast offense, but his age (30 in September) and recent injury history are red flags. Wallace's red flags are his least productive season season came in his 1 year in the offense that we run. Jennings is likely to receive between $8 and $10 million a year and Wallace between $10 and $12 million a year this year in free-agency. This is only my opinion, but I feel if we are going to sign a "big name" WR this off-season, that Wallace is the better signing and we should all hope that part of the reason for his production last year was due to his holdout.
That being said, I think the team is better served by drafting 2 WR in the first 3 rounds and re-signing Hartline. If we were only a WR away from being a legit Super Bowl contendor, I think signing Wallace would be the correct move. Although, if we do sign a WR this year, Wallace should be the one.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

This thread is in response to the reports that Wallace is the intended target for the Dolphins

I’m not sure Ireland has the luxury of relying solely on the draft to add WR help. The offense needs to take a clear step forward next season and rookie WR’s rarely make a big impact their first year. Even if we add Wallace or Jennings we should still look to add another WR and/or TE but at least we won’t go into the draft in desperation mode.

It’s always a risk when you put that kind of money in a player and I have some reservations that Wallace won’t perform up to his contract but he is the most explosive WR available. Players of his caliber rarely hit the open market in their prime.

Jennings will give you 1000 yards 7 td's...but wallace helps the whole offense with his speed even if he doesn't get 1000 yards he is younger and faster than jennings..jennings has won superbowls probowls..go with the hungrier guy.

Ireland needs too put a winning product on the field NOW - he doesnt have the time too let a rookie wr to devolop. Look at blackmon -#5 last yr didnt do anything -
Wallace 6 yr - 60 million lots garuntee $$ - Draft BPA at 12 then the 2nd round get another young player for the next position.
Wallace - Rookie - Bess - MAtthew - is good
Wallace - Hartline -bess -matthews - is very good
Jennings - in place is good an you need too respect that he is an exprobowl player - but he is 30 and not the speedster he was 4 yrs ago, is he worth the 8-10 million ?
will he be a good Wr for 4 yr 30 million -with Wallace at 5 yr -60million- 20 mill in 2 wr? hmmm- -- depends on how you look at it?
the falcons have Jones and White at a large cap # and went far into the post season.
Wrs win games now not the RBs not the overpaid defenders - Score points and you win...
Irelannd knows this and so does ross - Irelands job and Career depends on this season...

The thing about Wallace on the Dolphins is this...

..Last year, with wide receivers that got little seperation, Ryan Tannehill was able to make plays. No deep threat, so the safeties stayed close and played tight, yet Tannehill was still able to make plays throwing into small windows. If you add Wallace into the mix, his mere presence requires the corner and safety's attention almost at all times. If the defense cheats, he bails, and all Tannehill has to do is throw it as far as he can. Thats what big ben did, and Tannehill doesn't have Big Ben's cannon (i don't think). His route running isn't as crisp as Greg Jennings, but he scares the defense into giving him space to work. If we get a seam threat tight end, both he and Davone Bess will put up monster #s alongside Wallace. Lamar Miller on checkdowns and screens, will have one less safety to worry about. Whoever plays opposite of Wallace at Wr#2 will be going against a 2nd tier corner. When Ryan Tannehill rolls outside the pocket, Wallace and him can improvise. Once Tannehill rolls out, the defense will gravitate towards Wallace, so a guy like Charles Clay could slip past at anytime. Once you hit Wallace deep once, play action will be that much more effective, and i expect that if we sign Mike Wallace, Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller will become positively dynamic.

Mike Wallace opens up the entire offense. To me, he changes the entire dynamic. Sign Mike Wallace.

Ireland needs too put a winning product on the field NOW - he doesnt have the time too let a rookie wr to devolop. Look at blackmon -#5 last yr didnt do anything -
Wallace 6 yr - 60 million lots garuntee $$ - Draft BPA at 12 then the 2nd round get another young player for the next position.
Wallace - Rookie - Bess - MAtthew - is good
Wallace - Hartline -bess -matthews - is very good
Jennings - in place is good an you need too respect that he is an exprobowl player - but he is 30 and not the speedster he was 4 yrs ago, is he worth the 8-10 million ?
will he be a good Wr for 4 yr 30 million -with Wallace at 5 yr -60million- 20 mill in 2 wr? hmmm- -- depends on how you look at it?
the falcons have Jones and White at a large cap # and went far into the post season.
Wrs win games now not the RBs not the overpaid defenders - Score points and you win...
Irelannd knows this and so does ross - Irelands job and Career depends on this season...

Looking at Justin Blackmon and I see 64 rec, 865 yds, and 5 tds. I would say he "didn't do anything" In fact he overachieved considering he was playing on a bad Jacksonville team with no QB.

Patterson will be our #1. Greg Jennings is our #2 and we'll pay him like it. book it. hell be perfect for Patterson's development and tannehill.

yea he finished the year with some stats - with a crappy team - i had him in FF and he didnt do much for me all season - i didnt look at his "real stats" only my FF -

Get both.

nba_g_rileyring_gb1_576-1.jpg

Ireland needs too put a winning product on the field NOW - he doesnt have the time too let a rookie wr to devolop.

Irelands job and Career depends on this season...

How can he not have enough time to let a rookie WR develop when our QB was a rookie himself this year?

I agree that Ireland's job could depend on this season, but only if we take a step backwards. We're not exactly poised to make a run at the Superbowl. We have a very young QB with a lot to learn and plenty of holes to fill.

We may have to overpay for him, but wallace helps our entire offense. His presence on the field means the safeties and corners need to back off. Which will open up the underneath for bess and running game for whoever our back is when the season rolls round. Admittedly wallace is not a perfect fit for our system but i still prefer him to jennings. I think he just brings a lot more to the offense. I think we sign him, resign hartline, bess in the slot and then matthews, binns and maybe a second or third rounder battling out for the other positions.

I think we should stay away from Wallace. He originally wanted $100M from the Steelers. Vincent Jackson got 5 years $55.55M last off season so you know Wallace thinks he's better than that & will command 5 years $60M or 6 years $70M. He's not a top 3, 5, or 10 receiver. I mean look at the numbers, there was a nine game stretch last year where he only averaged more than 10 yards per catch twice. Our top receiver can not disappear like that. Then comes the news yesterady from Antonio Brown that the locker room was divided with me first players. You know who the head of that table was?? Wallace. Once he get paid he's not going to do anything, he doesn't have the desire. Give me Greg Jennings & draft a hungry WR in the first two rounds.

How can he not have enough time to let a rookie WR develop when our QB was a rookie himself this year?

I agree that Ireland's job could depend on this season, but only if we take a step backwards. We're not exactly poised to make a run at the Superbowl. We have a very young QB with a lot to learn and plenty of holes to fill.

I think he was eluding to the fact that if Miami finishes at or below .500 again this season, Jeff's ass, Ross's boot and the door knob will all become familiar with each other.

Back
Top Bottom