The Dolphins’ Jarvis Landry has some cryptic tweets. Let’s try to make sense of them

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Or if he doesn't have the option to throw dump offs to a slow slot WR he may get better..Replacing Landry with a more explosive slot WR would be ideal..especially at 14 million..If his demands were reasonable then by all means bring him back.

DolfanDuBbZ~, Danny and NBP81 like this.
  2. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Lol. NE is not paying him his asking price. Zero chance.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  3. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

This is what people keep missing. You have to look at what you’re foregoing by paying him. There may be better value for that $$ out there.

rickd13 and Ray R like this.
  4. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

We'll see. I'm over talking about it to be honest. I'm at the let him walk, watch it go disastrously, and wait for the 'if Thill only had _____' threads phase.

Landry is crap only on this forum. I just hope everyone realizes that.

Avigatorx and ForksPhin like this.
  5. Phinatic8u

Let me say it one more time..

I like Landry, I don't like his antics. "heart and soul of the offense" is the dumbest thing I've seen people say about a player, how many other offenses is the slot WR or the WR in general the heart of the offense. He does nothing great, he's slow, lazy with routes and has a anger problem that costs us more yards per game than points Miami can score and that guy wants 14+ million a year.

At 10? I'd love to bring him back, but if he's not gonna drop that price then throw the transition tag on him and see what the market dictates..doubt it'll be anywhere near 14 million.

Ray R likes this.
  6. Phinatic8u

That's because we see him every game..The common fan knows him as OBJ's bestie.

7. Phinatic8u

I'd even take Ridley to man the slot and watch Miami's offense go up a notch in terms of explosiveness..

Danny likes this.
  8. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

all you guys saying you dont care if he is back or not or he is this or that will miss him if he is not here

Avigatorx likes this.
  9. SmokyFin

SmokyFin Starter

I don't want to lose Landry or greatly overpay to keep him but if he does leave maybe it's possible that Caroo shows he really does have something. The same way that once Drake finally got a chance to really prove himself he showed that he was better than Ajayi.

kevphin and Ray R like this.
  10. Miami 13

Miami 13 Pro Bowler

Love that when it seems like we will lose Landry he is suddenly hated by all of FH. Give me a break. Guy plays his heart and soul every week for the Fins and wants to win. He is setting NFL records and always brings his 100% each game. But now fans hate him and want him gone?

Avigatorx and superphin like this.
  11. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Not as much as I'd regret overpaying him and adding yet another bloated contract to the payroll, crippling the team's ability to improve in other areas.

Beach Bum 91, rickd13 and Ray R like this.
  12. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Funny how all of the Landry supporters never mention the money, aside from implying they'd give him whatever he wants.

Nobody here wouldn't keep Landry at a reasonable salary. Landry wants more than a reasonable salary.

13. Phinatic8u

BINGO!

DolfanDuBbZ~ and Ray R like this.
  14. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

There have been a lot of people critical of Landry, or less than enamored with Landry, for a while now. Even though I think his personal foul antics are certainly worth considering, let's put those aside for the moment and look solely at his play as a receiver during the whistle.

I think he's a good player, but I'm very open to the idea that Miami could allocate the cap resources the team would spend on Landry to another position on the team, and then see what Grant or Carroo -- or a draft pick -- could do in the slot. For instance, if you told me right now that we would draft Braxton Berrios (and note: I am not a UM fan), I'd say "Good luck, Jarvis." Why? Because I think that player can run the same routes we ask Landry to run, and we probably won't lose much effectiveness, and he's projected as a 4th(?) round draft pick.

So no, I don't feel that the role he plays is irreplaceable, or even close to it. Good player? Yes. Worth 12+ million dollars annually against our cap as a guy who runs crossers, flares, and screens? No!

15. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

That's the main obstacle the way I see it at this point, so I'm assuming some are for franchising and paying that huge amount.?

16. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

I want him at a fair price which in my eyes would be top slot plus incentives to make more...for instance yds, td, etc. No way he gets top 3 wr bucks, no can do.

Beach Bum 91 and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  17. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

It won't even be 12 JDW if he signs long term IMO. again we all know its about the guaranteed monies etc.. but I bet he won't sign for that..

sign me up for a Braxton-

btw did anyone see this..

Ryan McDowell‏Verified account @RyanMc23 31 Dec 2017
    Texans RB Lamar Miller has been a rumored cap cut. He has one carry while Alfred Blue has 14 touches and a touchdown.

18. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

Kinda hard with him being a free agent, but perhaps we could shop him around for no less than a 2nd and if we find a buyer we can do a sign and trade.

19. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Landry is gone. And I doubt we miss him one bit. Ask yourself what is truly special about his game? The fact he breaks a few tackles or makes a highlight reel one handed grab on a 4 yard crosser? He gets the lion's share of targets and therefore generates yardage at a dismal average. Remember even Brian Hartline had two 1k seasons when he was getting most of the targets.

Paying Landry is setting yourself up for the same plodding offense that is forced to run through him, not to mention hamstringing the team from acquiring other talent.

And for those concerned about NE signing him, yeah, it's possible, if Landry is willing to take 8-9M/yr to play for a championship. I highly doubt that.

finomenal and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  20. J. David Wannyheimer

If Dion Sims and Lamar Miller get cut, I'd love to bring them both back to Miami.

21. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0, Peach Bowl Champions Donator

I could see San Fran being in the mix

22. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Dion Sims was a very underrated player in Miami...HE could easily upgrade what Fasano did.

Albert Romano and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  23. J. David Wannyheimer

I felt like Sims really blossomed in 2016 when we did a better job of getting him space in the passing game (i.e. he wasn't stuck holding hands with 3 other guys running shallow crossers) and he had the chance to get the ball in his hands and run with it. The first couple of times he looked confused, like "Wait a second, I have green grass here?" but then you could really see him just rediscover how to run north and south and use his size. Watching him truck DBs down the sideline was glorious.

1 dol fan likes this.
  24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

they already tried jakeem grant in the slot the year before last in camp etc and it was a massive failure. gase basically said in a much nicer way his football iq wasn't high enough for it

option routes and 2 way goes aren't for everybody

25. J. David Wannyheimer

Well he's said that about Landry, too.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

he said juice has a low football iq?

wow...I don't see it anywhere near that way

Avigatorx likes this.
  27. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I just read earlier today Gase saying that you can play Grant "outside, inside or even line him up at RB"

Ozzy rules!!

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well last year he said it was too much thinking for him or something along those lines...maybe things have changed

Danny likes this.
  29. J. David Wannyheimer

Well, remember when Gase in his presser said his "best players" didn't take their work home and study football? And that was after the game where Landry took a couple of option routes straight into coverage and Moore actually threw em correctly, so they were way off?

And then we saw that Gase admitted he was dumbing down the offense because "his best players" couldn't be trusted with the offense but he wanted to get them the ball? Look at how we use Landry with all the damn screens and flares just to get him the ball.

All I'm saying is, I think there's a strong correlation there. More than the dumb personal fouls or perceived value, it's the reason why I'm OK with the team moving on from Landry. If the choice is between Gase running his offense to its highest potential, or Miami having 'sparkplug' Jarvis Landry, I think I am going to choose Gase on this one.

I guess where I'm at on this subject is that I agree Jarvis Landry is a good football player, but i don't think he is a great one. But he wants to be paid like he is...

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I'd like to see the gif evidence of those plays with moore where juice ran the wrong option route

anybody has the gifs please provide them

I couldn't delete this years game tapes fast enough

1 dol fan, Avigatorx and Ray R like this.
  31. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

LeBron James has made it impossible to try and dissect an athlete's mind on social media. Not touching this one with a ten foot pole.

I don't even understand the purpose of that click bait article. There's one tweet in there that has room for discussion. Everything else doesn't even need an explanation.

Our sports media people are the ****tiest in the nation. By far.

Vaark likes this.
  32. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

A major indicator here is that the FO did not resign him last year. If they thought he was gold, they would have inked him.
    I'm either way with Landry AND his expected salary. For all his antics and penalties, he has much better upside than down.
    This is all going to come down to money. He wants to get paid. And there's not a thing we fans can do about it except for wait and watch.

33. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Our ever changing team. He even said today that he likes Stills inside too. Imo just because somebody lines up inside doesn't mean we have to run the bubble screen for them. I like having Parker, Stills and Grant all out there at the same time because all 3 can score from anywhere. That's not normally the case with Landry

Ozzy rules!!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  34. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

Look, I think Landry is an exceptional player. I truly do. But I also think he shouldn't be paid 14 mil a year. Davante Adams got a new contract but Landry isn't as dynamic as Adams. If we could get a true #1 to pair with Landry that would be ideal. But honestly we aren't going to get a true #1 if we are paying Landry 14 mil. He essentially becomes our #1 WR. A WR that doesn't run deep routes or even deep-ish intermediate routes. He doesn't have the long speed nor long strides to break away at that distance.

And Grant can't play the slot. He's an X or Z. A True #1 would be Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, etc. Bryants a little old but he was open a lot with Prescott throwing terrible passes. IF we paired someone like that with Landry, he would be amazing for us. I would take Keenan Allen over Landry 10/10 times as well.

DolfanDuBbZ~ and Adam Strange like this.
  35. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

He was talking about Landry, I believe. Still has extremely high IQ and usually runs his option routes/reads coverages correctly.

36. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Lol I don't care enough nor have the patience to break down his tweets. If he wants to go, he can go. How's that for analysis? No need to handle your business in public. These millenials, man.

Danny and Sarnics13 like this.
  37. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

[​IMG]

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  38. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

If he keeps at it he might become president one day...

39. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I'm a huge Grant fan, but we will definitely miss Landry if he moves on.

IMHO, the plan isn't going to be to replace him with another slot per set. I think the plan would be to build up the TE position and play 1 TE most of the time and 2 TE's fairly often. Gase wants a seam mismatch at TE, and he needs a versatile guy with size who can pass-protect, run block, and be a red zone target. I think that Gase wouldn't have ever drafted Landry because he is speed-limited. But, he's a heck of a player, with strong motivational leadership skills, so Gase used him to the fullest. But, I will not be at all surprised if Gase phases him out in favor of a seam threat TE and a lot of 2 TE sets.

Prepare to invest in the TE position in both the draft and free agency. Just a hunch.

GreenMts and NBP81 like this.
  40. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

Gase was talking about Ajayi in that presser.