the Dolphins & Peyton Manning (another "Manning" Thread)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Predaphin, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

I, like almost everybody else in here, would love for Peyton Manning to go to Miami, but in all honest truth, I just dont see it happening......I sure do hope Im wrong, but coming off an MVP year he's gonna want some big $$$$$$ (mula), and there will be other teams out there who will be willing to take it to the extreme for a QB like that.....However I dont see the Colts trying to hard to keep him, as a matter of fact, theyre known to let go of some of their key players even when theyre in their prime, For example Marshall Faulk, I can see Manning playing elsewhere, but I doubt its gonna be in Miami....Id like to think he really has a great chance of being a Dolphin, but I dont want to set high expectations only to be very dissapointed when he signs with someone else....but like I said, I Hope Im seriously wrong.

2. kasaba13

kasaba13 Seasoned Veteran

If Indy does let him go we have an advantage because coming out of college he said playing for the Dolphins or Broncos would be his dream. The Broncos have Plummer and we have an opening.

3. iceblizzard69

iceblizzard69 Banned Hammered

The Colts will do everything in their power to keep him. If they can't, some other team will offer him a ton of money, a lot more than Miami could ever come up with. There is no way that Peyton Manning will be on the Dolphins next season.

4. Prime Time

Prime Time Screw You Guys..Im Goin Home!!!

If Peyton indeed does become a FA. I see these teams making a serious run at him.

Arizona (Has Money)
    Oakland (Will have Money)
    Washington (Has Money)
    Dallas
    San Diego
    49ers (If they lose Garcia)
    Tampa Bay

5. Prime Time

I forgot to add, Bills. If they cut Bledsoe...watch out.

6. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

49ers will use Rattay. They have less money than us and big FAs to re-sign. Not just Owens.

7. Prime Time

Good point. But while we are talking West Side, I could seriously see Oakland making a push. With Tuiasasopopopopop LOL bumming out and Gannon probably having a career ending injury and with many old guys on the verge of retirement/releasement (Is that a word?) they could afford him. Manning to Porter would be a good combo...damn good combo.

8. Section126

Section126 FinHeaven VIP

Raiders have a ton of dead money I heard...All those old guys make cash......

we have a real shot.

9. Regan21286

Regan21286 Wa Wa Wee Wa

The only way Peyton goes to Miami or elsewhere is if Colts don't win a playoff game. I'm pretty sure he's tired of the "good player, but no playoff win" tag. Fins are his best hope in fixing that (We did beat Indy in 2000 in the playoffs). Of course, I'd like to see Peyton in a Dolphin uniform but we can only hope.

10. Phinzone

Phinzone FinHeaven VIP

I understand this, but here's what I see.

First of all, don't take this the wrong way, I'm a total fins fan.........but I've always seen the Colts as being monumental underachievers. I always thought they had the most talent in the NFL, but they just couldn't put it together.

And Manning has to see that. Remember the begininng of the season when they were saying he was in the process of getting a new contract? And THEN they were close to signing a new contract mid-season?

Where's that contract now? Something's amiss. Why hasn't he resigned? They'll pay what he wants, they'd be stupid not to. But why hasn't HE locked up the deal?

I'm not saying it's likely, but there are weird things going on within the colts organization.

11. Fisticuff

Fisticuff hm mmm, peanut butter and crack sandwich

they didn't want to focus on that during the season (smart move) but can turn out to be really dumb if they get beat in the playoffs again.

GO BRONCOS.

theres just to much evidence (i guess it's all about how you look at the evidence) that PM would go elsewhere if given the chance.. and since the colts are gonna have cap issues, and can't afford to give manning a ton of money (i believe EJ's contract is comming up, and they need a lot more D). i think PM will try and take full advantage of being a UFA. this doesn't mean miami is getting him, but out of all the teams who need a QB our situation looks best.

12. Fresh

Fresh Banned Hammered

That would be THEIR choice.

13. relive1972

relive1972 Premium Member

I think this whole Manning to Miami story is a farce, something someone cooked up just to divert attention away from extending Wannstedt's contract when the majority in S. Fla. wanted him gone. What better way to get people excited about the team again when disappointment and disgust is at an alltime high.

Doesn't it seem strange that none of the national media has picked up on this, I mean Manning to Miami would be as big a story as any in the NFL these days. And wouldn't this whole process be something the GM would decide to do? We don't even a GM yet and they're already saying they're going to do what they can to make a run at Manning?

Even Hank himself is backtracking, saying it could be done, "if they step up". Methinks Hank realized he was used as a tool. And it worked, somewhat successfully, some are buying it and talking Super Bowl and Miami in the same breath again.

I'm not saying Miami won't show interest and won't inquire about Manning IF, (and that's a big IF), Manning does become a FA. They'll at least do that much to appease the fans. But in the end they'll say they just didn't have the cap space available to make a deal and it just wasn't feasible to pull off what with other areas on the team needing attention also. And then, much like Gandy last year, people will be applauding them for at least trying.

I'll belive it when Manning is actually a Dolphin. Until then, I'll believe it's nothing more than a PR move trying to get disgruntled fans excited about Dolphin football again.

14. Section126

Section126 FinHeaven VIP

It is real....trust me......Now will they get him? Like I said it is 40/60 at best right now......

Alot of things have to happen first......

15. ZOD

ZOD Ruler of the Universe

Let's be honest here. That's the only team that has the money and we all know he's not going there.

16. MIADolFan

MIADolFan Starter

-----ALL SPECULATION-----
    Well, if we were to try. I'm Sure Griese and Fiedler could be cut... (Or take a huge pay cut) Sage can be a decent backup I think. He has had time to develop to a backup level. Are there any contracts up on D on players that make a decent $$$ that are expendable? Theres a way to do anything... its a matter of what lengths the team is willing to do to get there.

Trade a good defensive player to a team for great picks (releasing us of that salary and still getting good picks in return. Who knows, sometimes you can get rookies who can start)

Only time will tell... anything can happen. But It would take a miracle with the cap situation anyways

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2003
  17. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

He won't want to go to Arz (who does?) Oakland is old and full of problems, Washington sucks, and so does San Diego. The 49ers have TO but he's getting older, and Peyton might be concerned about TO's anticts (maybe not). So our real competition will be:

Dallas - That's an attraction. Good young team who will get better and a great coach.

Tampa Bay - Peyton would easily put them over the top again.

Our advantage? A good (although overrated) D, and Chris Chambers who is only 25.

Thoughts anyone?

18. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

I was thinking the same thing. That's why we should root hard for the Broncos when they play the Colts! Let's hope they kick their azz like last time! :)

19. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

come on guys , there is no way peyton manning will be a dolphin, although i would love it....:lol:

20. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

Good point, but we're underacheivers also. And yeah, something is definitely amiss because you lock up a marquee player like that during training camp. Could you imagine the fan revolt if the Fins let RW even sniff free agency?

21. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

There's the spirit. GOOOOOOOO Broncos! :cool:

22. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. I always dismiss stuff like this, especially this early, but consider the source. Hank has a proven track record of reporting the right stuff over many years, so automatically, there's something to the story. Hank doesn't just go off of "rumor mill" stories (which he doesn't bother with anyway). He talks to people in the league.

23. iceblizzard69

iceblizzard69 Banned Hammered

Washington has a young QB in Ramsey and definitely does not have the money to sign him. The 49ers will stick with Rattay. The Bucs won't sign Manning because they have Johnson and he is still good. All of those other teams could sign him though.

The truth is that Miami does not have the money to sign Peyton Manning and there is NO chance that he comes here.

24. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

I know we're strapped, but the Fins want him bad enough, as they should, they'll do what it takes. If it means restructuring guys, prorating bonus money, or whatever. There are ways to manipulate the cap. Teams do it all the time.

25. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

No sense in speculating now anyway, but I love the way some of you talk. You have no idea what the money situation is, the point being is that if our team wants him bad enough they will find a way. If not, then too bad. I say wait and see what happens.

26. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

We are not on your list> I thought you were confident we would make a run at him. Of those I see this
    AZ new coach and poor tradition-no way
    OK- could be same coach problem though
    Dallas- Def possibility however does payton want the ability to control the field and will the tuna allow it. Tuna usually likes average QBs with smarts and ability to take orders. Thats not payton.
    San Diego- Maybe but no coach again and the only wr in ?????
    9ers- Could see that
    TB- Could see this also. Good D, Good coach, prob get a RB in the draft this year. But again no WR
    MIA- only if he cares more about playing for his fav teams (DEN & MIA) along with the chance for a ring, more than the cash. Could be. We can hope.

What would be the time line before we know if these lofty hopes are dashed or not?

27. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

Wont happen there. They are pertified of the staue like QB afetr bledsoe.

28. akfinfan

akfinfan FinHeaven VIP

I heard all these No Way In Hell we could get Ricky Williams threads 2 years ago, and BAM, look what happened. We have a good chance at either Peyton or Eli Manning. Bottom Line Changes are coming, and are needed.

29. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Pro Bowler

Peyton? Yes. I don't know about Eli. He'll be gone prob top 3.

30. Bowl_Bound

Bowl_Bound A True Fan

To get Eli we would need to get a 1st and 3rd for Ugon and trade both 1sts and maybe more picks to get number one everall.

31. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

take it for sure he wont go to Arizona.....I watched a show on the cardinals on how they are in danger of losing some fans, and they interviewed the president of the organization, because the owner declined an interview, and most people say hes greedy, he said he wasnt gonna pay a big time player big time money until they had a new staduim they can settle into.....So i dont think Az will be going anywhere anytime soon....Besides I think manning will want to go to a team that has SOME kind of shot.

32. relive1972

relive1972 Premium Member

Big difference between Ricky and Manning----Ricky was making minimum salary when we traded for him. Miami has shown a propensity over the last few years not to pay a lot for new players.

33. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

I agree with the originator of this thread.
    To sit here and dream about dressing Manning in Aqua and Orange is borderlind delusional at this point.

Just like everyone is stating that Miami could work around the cap to get him here, don't you think the Colts will try to do the same?

I guess they are prepared to ditch the Manning Era for the Brock Huard one? Give me a break!
    Recognize speculation for what it truly is and move on.

Miami does not have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to the cap as compared to some other candidates who will go after Manning should he become available.

34. jbond

jbond Pro Bowler

5 or 10 million over the course of a few years in "salary" doesn't compare to what he could make off of royalties, commercials, and everything else if say......he was the last piece of the puzzle to get our offense into overdrive.....with our D and him leading an improved offense....it's be pretty damn tough to not see us repeat SB champs I would think....and IF he does become a FA I'm sure that will weigh in his mind.

Then again......i doubt it if that happens.

35. P4E

P4E Cogito, Ergo FinFanum

Beating the cap is easy... we sign Peyton to play for us for the vet minimum. Then Blockbuster or Waste Management or whatever Wayne owns these days pays him $40 million a year to do commercials.:)

36. pats4life

pats4life Bill Belichick

Not to metion free rentals and waste removal :lol:

37. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

Salary cap is a farce until it comes back to haunt you. Even teams over the cap can always come up with something as long as your ready to ditch players a year or 2 down the road.

I believe Peyton will make it to FA cause lets face it if Indy was going to get something done they should have by now. I can't see Peyton not seeing what is out there in FA. It's going to be a contract for the ages though.

38. Stamos

Stamos Banned Hammered

The chance of Eli Manning falling to us in the first round is VERY slim...

But getting Eli is about 100 times more likely then getting Peyton.

Hell signing Peyton is about as likely as signing Archie...ain't gonna happen.

39. canadainfin-fan

canadainfin-fan Well-Known Member

i will start to pray for this if it will help:D