The Dolphins spend time with Hurricanes’ prospects this week. Experts had this to say

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Some Dolphins nuggets and thoughts on a Friday:

▪ Among the players with whom the Dolphins met at the Senior Bowl this week, according to a source:

UM prospects Chad Thomas and Chris Herndon.

Thomas, a defensive end and potential mid-round pick, “put on a show and displayed powerful hands during one-on-ones,” ESPN said after his first practice. “It’s an important start for a player whose tape doesn’t always match his ability.”

NFL Network identified Thomas as one of the players “who made money this week.”

The Dolphins are in the market for a No. 4 defensive end and also another developmental prospect to challenge Cameron Malveaux, who they like.

Herndon, coming off a major knee injury in November, isn’t able to practice but interviewed with teams, including Miami — which is looking for a tight end.

Rest at the link-

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article196845619.html

Jerrysanders likes this.
  2. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I think there’s a real possibility Miami selects several of the Hurricane prospects this year. Both Thomas and Herndon are mid to late round prospects that actually fit a Dolphins needs. Berrios could be on the radar if Landry leaves?

miamiron likes this.
  3. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I really like Herndon. Good blocker which is hard to find in rookies. Underrated as a receiver. I'd rate him a little above Dion Sims in that regard

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I’m interested in thomas in a mid round way

5. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

Get berrios!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

That last part of the article that about depth was right on......depth is good but we need to start with the actual starters and they're just not that good. We really need some upgrades at several positions

Ozzy rules!!

cullenbigcstill and joenhre like this.
  7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Thomas has loads of talent . . . But is his heart in football or music. I know he can do both but for a guy with his ability he just sometimes doesn't show up. Round 4 for me . . . OV territoryish.

I would definitely take a flyer on Herndon in round 6 or 7.

Malveaux looked good last year . . . Would be something to see him take a few more steps forward in 2018.

fininpsl likes this.
  8. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Thomas is a diamond in the rough. He’s done well at both all star practices. He’s got enormous upside. I think he’s a possibility in round 3 and an even more likely pick in round 4. Herndon is a developmental type, who’d be a great #3-4 TE on any team. As for Berrios, I absolutely love his game. Perfect for the slot, KR and PR duties. Fearless competitor.

9. Albert Romano

We say this every year and then- well then they don't usually do it seems like,, Berrios - totally agree with on and I think there might be some real interest there from MIA side depending on round etc of course.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  10. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Don't like Berrios that much athletically. Certainly capable to come in and make a team but I think he is a UDFA type. Wanna say he is a smart player but flashbacks of the Georgia tech game and that onside kick haunts me lol.

Much rather Carroo and Parker and Grant getting those missing slot reps if Juice leaves.

Avigatorx likes this.
  11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Thomas is steadily adding a bit more wiggle. He's always had wiry strength. I've been thinking third round for him. Anything deeper would be good value and seemingly a good fit.

We've mentioned Herndon many times. Someone will get a solid smart versatile player.

The grad transfer Dee Delaney should receive a look also. He was highly rated at Citadel but quickly fell out of favor with the Canes. Then late season he finally started to look like the feisty cornerback Miami was expecting.

12. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Donator

If we do lose Landry, then this guy BERRIOS I would draft, even if we draft him higher than expected. He is a leader. A great slot, and special teamer. DO IT.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Berrios doesn’t look like all that great an athlete to me.

Not to mention 5 foot 8 and 1/2 in the slot is a tiny target

Chase Thomas came in a full 6 foot 5 and 275 plus with big features

That may be the safest play in the 43 de class value wise. I’m just not that impressed with the de group from what I’ve seen

Draft Thomas put him in the 2 deep rotation

Avigatorx and Pandarilla like this.
  14. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

To me Herndon looks like Ronnie Brown....they look the same side,build and running style. Looks like Thomas may go in late round 2

15. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

Dolphins staying away from Hurricanes players has always been a puzzler for me...

sinPHIN and J. David Wannyheimer like this.
  16. Danny

He's taller than Grant....lol

Ozzy rules!!

17. Danny

And when they did draft them, they have gotten the wrong ones. I wanted Wilford but instead they took Vernon Carey....smh

Ozzy rules!!

CedarPhin likes this.
  18. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Good to see they're taking a close look at TE Goedert from South Dakota State. His game looks translatable.

Danny likes this.
  19. Danny

Lets keep it quiet. He's the guy we want at 42

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R and Pandarilla like this.
  20. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

I don't know about Berrios. How many small receivers can one team carry? We already have Grant at 5'6". Berrios is 5'7" or 5'8". I love Berrios. If we would not have Grant I would say go for it in the later rounds. I now we have had very little accomplishments over the years but I am not sure of the title "team with the smallest receiving corp" is one I would want to go for. :laugh

Albert Romano likes this.
  21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Would have been nice to see him this week. I wasn’t impressed with Ian Thomas. No burst

They said goedert carries that 260 well that’s an impressive weight if he carries it well. 260 whoof

Fumagalli locates the ball well late but I think that Mayock Ertz comparison is awful. Ertz was much quicker and smoother in and out of cuts.

Gesicki covers ground in a hurry. There’s a point I’m interested in him but it’s not 43 I know that. Big bird frame hard to project the ability carry weight on that

The breneman kid evidently had two major knee injuries while at penn state. I will pass on that given the prior medical til late day 3 at least

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Pandarilla likes this.
  22. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Most people say that he might go late 6th round or 7th round but he will definitely picked up by a team post draft.
    I do agree with Caroo, Parker and Grant. And let's not forget that Drake will get some of Landry's catches as well. That's why I say that we don't lose much from a production POV if we lose Landry. And if you get a decent TE with some catching ability the 12-14 Mill/year for Landry is a waste for us. But what we gain with a Landry departure is the ability to run a full playbook and a QB who doesn't have to be concerned about Landry lining up correctly. Let someone else overpay.

Csonked Out likes this.
  23. Danny

Fugamalli struggled on the one on ones this week. Goedert really looks the part. We passed on Gronk before but I hope we don't make the same mistake again. If he's there at 42 which is a big if, they should run the card up. He makes catches with one hand look very easy. He'll fight for the ball unlike JT and with that size he'll be hard to cover. I'd actually use one of the extra 4 that we have to move up from 42 to make sure we get him. Last great receiver we had at TE was Keith Jackson

Ozzy rules!!

phish and Austin Tatious like this.
  24. Albert Romano

Man its still so early and why do I already get the feeling I will be disappointed come draft day.

Although I have to admit I wasn’t a fan of he Drake and Grant picks especially in the same draft but they are contributing.

Danny likes this.
  25. Albert Romano

Attack of the smurfs! Remember that?

Ray R, Pandarilla and phins_4_ever like this.
  26. Kdawg954

Last two drafts have been good. Not excellent or anything, but still early to make a final verdict on them. Need a third just like those 2.

Ray R likes this.
  27. Pandarilla

Yeah, Gesicki is tempting. Pretty much agree on Goedert. Neither would feel right at 43...The draft is littered with talent. So is the league. I believe Gase can run an offense with even mediocre talent. Last year was a stellar TE draft. I almost feel like I'd just rather have an extra linemen than continue the disappointment.

28. Pandarilla

Troll 2...

29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Herndon looks to me like he's going to be a good player, but the knee will scare teams.

Stoobz likes this.
  30. joerobbie

joerobbie FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Maybe I didn`t quite get the point, but Brown was a 6-0, 225 RB and Herndon is a 6-4, 255 TE and i see no real similarities in their running style .But i agree that Thomas may go late in the 2nd round

31. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Is everyone forgetting Notre Dame's TE?

fininpsl and Danny like this.
  32. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

How high do you draft a player with 1 year production?

33. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Rudy...but he wasn't a tight end :)

Stoobz likes this.
  34. Danny

They could turn out to be excellent if at least 2 of those players reaches elite status. At this point Howard stands out with that kind of potential. We don't know about RM yet but he's a good prospect. The drafts have been solid but need some stars. I agree is still too early to tell but there is potential there.

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R likes this.
  35. Danny

I'm not. He had a great week of practice. Was catching everything on the drills and beating every defender. I couldn't want the game but saw that he did pretty good there too

Ozzy rules!!

Stoobz likes this.
  36. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

Durham Smythe. He's got tons of tape as a blocker. He'll be there for our first fourth. If we don't get a blocker before the draft, he'd be in the mix.

Danny and Stoobz like this.
  37. Danny

I know that no matter what the FO does not everyone will be happy. I've been wanting us to draft a TE like Goedert for so long. You watch his tape and see him making one handed catches and beating guys for the ball. I'm not saying he'll be the next Gronk but he reminds me of him. Who knows, maybe I'm totally wrong about him but I'll say this. It's not often I say that a player will be much better than people think. The only time I said that before was Ajayi. I really wanted us to draft him and now I really want us to draft this TE

Ozzy rules!!

phish, Avigatorx and Ray R like this.
  38. Danny

Yeah that's what he did in college but now that he's gotten a chance to catch the football he's shown that he can do it

Ozzy rules!!

Stills&Landry likes this.
  39. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

When do you recall the last time a Miami TE abused the defense?

He looked good ;)

40. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I mean we are like the TE breeding grounds for the nfl, but meh on him. He’s okay