The “For Real?” Files: Xavien Howard | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The “For Real?” Files: Xavien Howard

is Xavien Howard for real? Is this a member of the “young nucleus”?

• Yes

Votes: 76 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
884897760.jpg.0.jpg

There’s only one question to answer in this off-season series: do you think this young guy is for real?
We’ll start with Xavien Howard.
And you might be surprised, but I’m not going to break down tape or share stats in this series. YOU watched the games just like I did, so I don’t necessarily care if your perception derives from a hard look at the metrics and data or you simply have a feeling about the guy (although I’d like to hear about your take in the Comments Section).
You saw the ups (having the flu and picking off Tom Brady twice) and you saw the downs (getting picked on early in the season, both giving up sizable plays and getting flagged for big penalties).

What does that question even mean?? We traded up for him in the early 2nd round, which means we probably had a 1st round grade on him. Has he played like a 1st or early 2nd round draft pick? Hail no!

Will he in the future? Man I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. Cordrea Tankersley has more going for him imo. Lippett remains a mystery. Will his body respond to the pressure and stress of obtaining elite conditioning??

I’m hoping he - as his fellow defensive backs - was held back by the defensive backs coach we just replaced.

884897760.jpg.0.jpg

There’s only one question to answer in this off-season series: do you think this young guy is for real?
We’ll start with Xavien Howard.
And you might be surprised, but I’m not going to break down tape or share stats in this series. YOU watched the games just like I did, so I don’t necessarily care if your perception derives from a hard look at the metrics and data or you simply have a feeling about the guy (although I’d like to hear about your take in the Comments Section).
You saw the ups (having the flu and picking off Tom Brady twice) and you saw the downs (getting picked on early in the season, both giving up sizable plays and getting flagged for big penalties).

First, by "nucleus," I don't require eventual All-Pro - just solid and able to be a part of a top 10 secondary. Yes, I think he is, particularly if he's allowed to play more press

The main thing he may need to improve on is reducing penalties. Without a consistent pass-rush and lack of LB's who could cover, I think these guys did good. I am very optimistic about Lippett as he is still learning and has not reached his ceiling.

What does that question even mean?? We traded up for him in the early 2nd round, which means we probably had a 1st round grade on him. Has he played like a 1st or early 2nd round draft pick? Hail no!

Will he in the future? Man I hope so, but I'm not counting on it. Cordrea Tankersley has more going for him imo. Lippett remains a mystery. Will his body respond to the pressure and stress of obtaining elite conditioning??

Tankersly has a lot of work to do, he was pretty bad after his injury.

I believe he is a member of the "young nucleus" of this team. I like this kid and I also like how the Phins are slowly but surely changing the personnel..........get them young, coachable and hungry.

This should really say he hasn't played up to your expectations of a 1st or 2nd round pick. I bet there are a number of teams in the league that would trade their first or second round picks from the last few years for Xavien Howard. Corners understandably have a transition period into the NFL, and Howard still has a lot of learning ahead of him, but I would disagree that so far he hasn't played up to reasonable expectations. He has big physical tools, under-rated recovery speed, and confidence.

The question is if he is a part of our nucleus moving forward. That answer is an absolute yes.

“No idea” should have been an option. He is the same as DeVante Parker. He shows he has the talent to be a probowler, but hasn’t been able to put it together for a full season. Hopefully he starts next year where he ended 2017, but who knows. A consistent pass rush helps every CB play better. The constant in the 2 games Howard was great(Denver and New England) was we had consistency getting to the QB.

Howard has been more a victim of our **** scheme early in the season rather than his own abilities. When given the opportunity to play tight coverage the kid has played VERY well.

Yes, he is for real.

“No idea” should have been an option. He is the same as DeVante Parker. He shows he has the talent to be a probowler, but hasn’t been able to put it together for a full season. Hopefully he starts next year where he ended 2017, but who knows. A consistent pass rush helps every CB play better. The constant in the 2 games Howard was great(Denver and New England) was we had consistency getting to the QB.

Did you just compare DVP and Howard? One guy that actually make plays in big games and from what I recall has been available for every game vs. one guy I haven't seen make a play since his rookie year and has also missed a ton of time year to date.

Wow!

Did you just compare DVP and Howard? One guy that actually make plays in big games and from what I recall has been available for every game vs. one guy I haven't seen make a play since his rookie year and has also missed a ton of time year to date.

Wow!

Howard missed 9 games his rookie season. Parker has missed 5 games in 3 years, but both have been hampered by nagging injuries, and are have trouble playing well with them. Xavien was consistently ranked in the bottom of the league in CBs the first 10 games of 2017, and consistently in the top cb in the final 6 games. It was very reminiscent of Parker’s rookie season.

Back
Top Bottom