the front office's plan or just a mistake with are FA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the front office's plan or just a mistake with are FA?

allsilverdreams

Starter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
i have really thought about this for some period now and really cant decide what really happened.
did our front office allow this many players( starters ) to all be FA at the same time or was it a lack of planning.did we drop the ball on this offseason or was this the plan all along?
with so many key starters set to sign else where BUSH,LONG,STARKS,HARTLINE,SMITH,CLEMMONS,FASANO thats 7 starters from last year that may be playing on another team come September.i know we have a new coach and he runs things so diffrent than our last coah but that is a boat load of change for one offseason.
is this a good thing or bad?

You got to remember that we have younger, cheaper replacements waiting in the wings + where did we go with these guys last year anyways? Bush- replaceable with Miller....Starks- replaceable with Odrick....Long- replaceable with Martin.... We will resign Hartline, Fasano (although he will be signed cheap and then we go FA/draft route for our TE playmaker... Smith- get him out of town, he does nothing for us, we can upgrade easily with FA/draft here. Clemons- jury is still out on him if he comes back(would have to be on the cheap though). I am all about building this team back up with new, exciting playmakers through the draft and then compliment with FA. Do this right and my money is on contending this year!

I agree with JC.

There are certainly a few guys who can easily be replaced with some of our younger guys, if not with other FAs. WE have a lot of solid draft picks and A LOT of cap space. Ireland said in an interview that it was not a coincidence that this offseason looks the way it does. I think they are going to be smart this year and bring the right players in. I too, believe that they will contend this season, probably as a Wildcard team.

I think Ireland is a great talent evaluator, just a terrible person. Maybe he has gotten a worse rep than he deserves, but his vibe does come off pretty douchy. I have faith though that he will clean up in the draft this year. I do not blame Ireland for Parcells' mistakes, it wasn't his fault entirely, although the Dez Bryant thing was pretty embarassing for us fans. I will just chalk that one up as a strike, and hope that they keep him from dealing with players so much anymore. From now on it should be Philbin interviewing players, let Ireland study stuff and find gems in the rough. They just have to have a buffer for him, like middle management.

i have really thought about this for some period now and really cant decide what really happened.
did our front office allow this many players( starters ) to all be FA at the same time or was it a lack of planning.did we drop the ball on this offseason or was this the plan all along?
with so many key starters set to sign else where BUSH,LONG,STARKS,HARTLINE,SMITH,CLEMMONS,FASANO thats 7 starters from last year that may be playing on another team come September.i know we have a new coach and he runs things so diffrent than our last coah but that is a boat load of change for one offseason.
is this a good thing or bad?

I think it was by design, because the team has plenty of cap room to bring them all back if they really wanted to. I still think they will re-sign a couple of them back, but I think the plan is to try and improve the team with some pieces that better fit a Joe Philbn team.

I think Ireland is a great talent evaluator, just a terrible person. Maybe he has gotten a worse rep than he deserves, but his vibe does come off pretty douchy. I have faith though that he will clean up in the draft this year. I do not blame Ireland for Parcells' mistakes, it wasn't his fault entirely, although the Dez Bryant thing was pretty embarassing for us fans. I will just chalk that one up as a strike, and hope that they keep him from dealing with players so much anymore. From now on it should be Philbin interviewing players, let Ireland study stuff and find gems in the rough. They just have to have a buffer for him, like middle management.

I've never met Jeff Ireland so I have no idea what kind of person he is. I disagree with you on the talent evaluation stance, i think he is an average at best talent evaluator.

A good free agency period and good draft will clear up a lot of things. I think that is more of a concern than having so many free agents. We could let them all walk, but that does us no good if we don't find better options at better values (via draft). I still think a guy like Reggie Bush is so valuable to what is certainly going to be a young team we put on the field next year. I'm not a fan of how he has been treated throughout the season and into this offseason. The guy has been a class act and a true leader on and off the field and it feels like we are keeping him in the dark about his future. He is our only true legitimate playmaker and a fan favorite . . . people can talk about him not getting north and south enough, and sure he has moments where he can be frustrating, but there is no question he is the most talented skill player on offense and for a team lacking skill players we need to ensure we keep our best one.

Great talent evaluator? If that was the case we wouldn't be stressing our current free agents or the high priced ones on the market because after 5 years there would be an abundance of talent waiting in the wings. Our WR group is Marlon Moore, Davone Bess and Rishard Matthews. Our CB group is Carroll, Mccann, Wilson and Patterson. Our RB group is Thomas and Miller. Our TE's are Clay and Egnew. We don't exactly have any earth shattering skill players that get me excited to lose a Reggie Bush or even a Brian Hartline, Anthony Fasano or Sean Smith. The Dolphins have dumped more money into their oline than any other team since 2008 and the damn thing still feels like it needs fixing.

It is great that he hits on a guy like Reshad Jones or shows interest in a Cam Wake or drafts a solid OC in Pouncey . . . but the current dilemma we are in says more about the job he has done and that ONLY gets turned around by making the right decisions this offseason. If he doesn't he IMO has been a complete failure of a GM.

Back
Top Bottom