The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters
I don't have an issue with the audible. I want my QB to want to have the game in his hands when it's on the line.

The execution just sucked. Blame whoever you want, I don't care. It's all the ****ty QB's fault, it's all the ****ty right tackle's fault, it's all the ****ty offensive coordinator's fault, it's all Jeff Ireland's fault.

But if you are afraid to call a quick pass play because your right tackle is so ****ing bad that you don't even trust him to impede the progress of the defensive end, then what the **** is the point of even having him out there?

What kind of front did he expect to see with a one point lead and the ball at the fifty. Let Miller and thomas do what they get paid to do.

Mr Tannehill you are not the game manger you think you are.

Why the **** would you call a pass against an eight man front thats 3 players short of an all out blitz.

The 8 men in the box is designed to stack the line and stop the run, not to rush the QB.

Well this changes everything. My apologies to the coaching staff for ranting and screaming on them about the play call. They got the call right, but the young QB, changes the play, based on the defensive formation. Tannehill has B***S, I'll tell ya that!!! Perhaps it will be a learning experience for him? And the Blame is TOTALLY on his shoulders. I don't have a problem with how he handled the situation. Most QB's in that situation, who have audible options, would have done the same thing. IMO, it would have been better for Tannehill to stick to the call and let some Time Run Down. It speaks volumes for the confidence the coaching staff has in Tannehill, to allow him that much control at the LOS to audible. Miami lost the game he's going to have to live with that. But, this is a situation where it can push forward Tannehill's learning curve. In-Spite of the loss. I'm still a Believer that Miami has a Franchise QB in Tannehill. It still doesn't change the need for better OT's and better play from the O-Line overall in a situation like that.

Now imagine if the Dolphins run the ball, fail to pick up the first and the Bills get the ball back with a good amount of time on the clock timeouts and the 2 minute warning. With the way the defense was playing on 3rd downs the could have easily gone down and scored a FG. IF they did everyone would be whining about to conservative play calling...."need to put teams away"....Fans will whine about anything...

Yeah, but the Bills would have most likely been pinned inside their 20, and they had only one drive the whole game for the length they would have needed to get into reasonable field goal range. Considering the fact that the running game was actually working yesterday, just seems like a bad time to pass. Grind the clock and/or force the Bills to use their timeouts, then use one of the best punters in football to pin them deep.

While I now understand that he checked off the run and went with the pass, Clabo still needs to make a play. Yes Mario Williams was on the field and he did his job, that's to be expected. But my God can you keep Williams at bay for just the one time and see what happens?

Well, it was obviously a bad audible when you look at the results. But I just recall how many times under Dave Wannstedt and Tony Sparano this team would have been content to just run the ball into an 8 man front and then punt it away -- playing not to lose -- and how frustrated that made me. I remember thinking then that I'd rather watch the team take a chance and try to win the damn game than just curl up into the fetal position and wait to see if the other team would make plays to pull it out.

I'm happy that the team played to win, but I'm not happy with the results.

Regarding the poll in the OP, Tannehill changed the play because that is what he is coached to do. If he sees a certain front, he's supposed to make the call. If he doesn't call a pass play, its because he doesn't recognize the defense. Its really a stupid poll considering he was just doing his job.

It was a horrible decision. Plain and simple. In that situation at mid field you are playing the clock and that's it. You don't attempt a pass for fear of incompletion and the clock stopping. What happened was the worst possible scenario. A pick 6 would of been better since we'd had a lot of time with the ball back. I would of been completely fine if we had to punt it away with 2 min or less remaining. Pin Lewis and the Bills inside their 10? Yes please. I like aggressive calls to but I'm not going to lie to myself to make me feel better about Tannehill after that choice. It was a flat out bad decision. It's not like we were facing Brady or Manning. It was Thad Lewis. I have plenty of confidence in our defense to win the game at that point.

Regarding the poll in the OP, Tannehill changed the play because that is what he is coached to do. If he sees a certain front, he's supposed to make the call. If he doesn't call a pass play, its because he doesn't recognize the defense. Its really a stupid poll considering he was just doing his job.
Uh, then shouldn't you just vote yes? :unsure:

QB's check out of plays all the time and fail or succeed...it is part of the game...I have no problem with him being aggressive at this point in the game...pick up the first and put the game away.

Now imagine if the Dolphins run the ball, fail to pick up the first and the Bills get the ball back with a good amount of time on the clock timeouts and the 2 minute warning. With the way the defense was playing on 3rd downs the could have easily gone down and scored a FG. IF they did everyone would be whining about to conservative play calling...."need to put teams away"....Fans will whine about anything...
Unlikely. The Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game just prior to the fumble. Just after the fumble that number plummeted to 33%.

Uh, then shouldn't you just vote yes? :unsure:

I did vote yes, but you are unfairly misleading people in that Tannehill had a choice in not doing what he was instructed to do. You might as well rephrase the poll to ask, "Should he have done his job the way he was coached to do?". That's probably a more fair question instead of trying to pin it on Tannehill's decision making.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Unlikely. The Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game just prior to the fumble. Just after the fumble that number plummeted to 33%.

:bs:

Back
Top Bottom