The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters
What is there to learn? You run the ball, protect the ball with a 1 point lead. Let the Bills take their time outs. He had pretty decent protection until the 4th quarter. He should have been aware of that. The only objective the Bills had was: stack the box and go for a turnover.

I agree that you need to run the ball, but on the other hand, with 2 and a half minutes still to go, and the Bills having all their timeouts, they could have stopped the clock enough times to get the ball with about 2 min on the clock to play for the win.

I agree that I would have no problem putting it on the defense if Miami was not able to get a 1st down, but the coaching staff has been yelling they want an aggressive offense, and if Tannehill had been able to get a completion, it would have been a back breaker for the Bills, and everyone would have been yelling about brilliance the Coaching staff/Tannehill.

Tannehill's fault, knowing how bad the O-line had played, but no matter what, everyone on the O-line needs to do their job, if someone can't, he needs to be replaced. If Tannehill had been given that extra time, he would hove gotten rid of it, that is why it came out to easily, Tannehill was getting ready to throw it.

You dont put everything on the line when in control when you know damn well they are bringing the house.

They didnt bring the house though. Clabo lost 1v1. They had 8 in the box but that doesnt mean they rushed 8 guys.

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 12m
Asked Philbin again about Mike Sherman's call on fumble. Went through extensive explanation of thinking. Bottom line, he agreed w/ Sherman.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 12m
Philbin said he heard the 2nd-&-8 call, didn't think it was risky. In back of his mind he thought of Thad Lewis game tying drive week before

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 13m
#Dolphins HC Joe Philbin defends OC Mike Sherman's decision to pass late in the game on Mario Williams' sack/fumble.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 14m
"This is a test of character we have and how much faith we have in 1 another," Philbin said.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 14m
Philbin on Tannehill physically: football players get hit. Until he can't practice or can't play, I think he's fine.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 15m
"We're all professionals. Its easy to come into work when everything rosy," Joe Philbin said.

James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerNFL 15m
#Dolphins HC Joe Philbin: "We're all professionals. This is what we signed up for...It's easy to come to work when things are rosy."

bottom line is we need to use our blocking TE's more. That is the bottom line. Sherman doesnt get it.

Amazing the breadth of knowledge and predictive accuracy that can be acheived by "knowing how football works," yet at the same time, "knowing how football works" is presented as so simple and something most everybody has. :unsure:

what's amazing is how much you argue when it's obvious you have no knowledge of this game...painfully obvious...guy doesn't even know checks at the los and kill calls etc

you really are a troll

They didnt bring the house though. Clabo lost 1v1. They had 8 in the box but that doesnt mean they rushed 8 guys.

I watched everyone creaping up at the snap. I remember thinking why are we in shotgun? I smelled trouble. Then it happened. I knew it was coming. Thats how I know I am not wrong. And we dont use two TE's at all and we dont keep out QB behind center.

Did anyone watch Luck last night? He played the first half behind center most of his big plays. got that Sherman? When Kaepernick was having trouble early, they were in shotgun all the time and then they fixed everything by being behind center. The defense cannot read whats coming if you are a good playaction team. Which we would be one, but we dont set up for it. at all.

bottom line is we need to use our blocking TE's more. That is the bottom line. Sherman doesnt get it.

So, you take Gibson out for Sims or Egnew? Glad Sherman doesn't get it.

Amazing the breadth of knowledge and predictive accuracy that can be acheived by "knowing how football works," yet at the same time, "knowing how football works" is presented as so simple and something most everybody has. :unsure:

it must not be simple enough, as you seem to have no clue how it works, unless you have some statistic in your face.

what's amazing is how much you argue when it's obvious you have no knowledge of this game...painfully obvious...guy doesn't even know checks at the los and kill calls etc

you really are a troll

Enough Hoops, behave and make your VG points without the pointless attacks. I do enjoy what you have to say but, you are very far from perfect. Ease up.

I have not read all the posts (too busy). I have watched many years of the NFL, and believe I can say, with a degree of certainty, that any VG QB over the year would have made the same call as RT did. The one's managing a game in playing not to lose wold have stuck with a run.

RT, Philbin, and Sherman, in their very brief history, have gone for a win as opposed to playing it safe. This is not always agreed with by fans but, it is the way to get the FRACK out of being a bad to mediocre team. "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."
The problem with that analysis is that Tannehill isn't a "very good" quarterback. He's average, and he's inexperienced.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

you really are a troll
I don't think you have any idea what I know and don't know, nor is that anything near what we're here to discuss. :)

if Tannehill had been able to get a completion, it would have been a back breaker for the Bills
How so? It was 2nd down.

On the one hand, "time wasn't really running out yet," and on the other hand, a first down (on a 2nd down) would've been a "backbreaker." That doesn't compute.

They were creeping up to play the run, hence the audible. They weren't creeping up to blitz. You don't want to blitz an anticipated run play.

You have not watched enough football if you have not heard of a run blitz. It mostly happens on the goalline or short yardage.

The steelers especially TP have excelled at this for years.

Back
Top Bottom