The GM Challenge – Run Miami’s Day 1 Draft Board

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by APhinnity, Nov 5, 2004.

1. APhinnity

APhinnity Scout Team

Last year, the Chargers traded their 1st round pick (No.1 overall) to the Giants and received the Giants 1st (No.4 overall) and 3rd round (No.65 overall) picks and a 1st and 5th in next years draft. I’m going to do the same thing and when I’m finished, my first day picks will look as follows:

This year - 1st (Pick #4), from the trade
    This year – 3rd (Pick #64), our original 3rd rounder
    This year - 3rd (Pick # 65), from the trade
    Next year - 1st and 5th

Last year, Detroit traded its 1st round pick (No. 6) to Cleveland for the Browns' 1st and 2nd-round picks (Nos. 7 and 37). Again, I’m going to do something as close to this as possible so that I can pick up a 2nd rounder. Here’s what my first day selections look like now.

This year - 1st (Pick #7)
    This year - 2nd (Pick # 37)
    This year – 3rd (Pick # 64), our original 3rd rounder
    This year – 3rd (Pick # 65)
    Next year – 1st and 5th

Now, I’m ready to raise some h3ll!

1st Pick, #37 overall, DT - Anttaj Hawthorne or Rodrique Wright, DT

Announcer: In the 1st Round with the #7 pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Anttaj Hawthorne (or Rodrique Wright), Defensive Tackle.

Who else hates playing the Jets in the Meadowlands on Monday night? I know Curtis Martin and Lamont Jordan are tired ‘cause they’ve been running through my mind all week! Time for a change.

2nd Pick, #37 overall, LT - Michael Munoz or Chris Colmer

Announcer: In the 2nd Round with the 37th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Michael Munoz (or Chris Colmer), Left Tackle.

What do Wade Smith and Damien McIntosh have in common? If you answered that one correctly, I’m sure that you agree that we absolutely need a new left tackle.

3rd Pick, #64 overall, RB - DeAngelo Williams, Cedric Houston, or Kay Jay Harris

Announcer: In the 3rd Round with the 64th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select DeAngelo Williams (or Cedric Houston or Kay Jay Harris), Running Back

Lamar Gordon, Sammy Morris, and Travis Minor are excellent #2 guys but starters they are not. Although Houston is a bit of a hypochondriac and Kay Jay Harris hasn’t had the monster year that everyone predicted, both are extremely talented with a lot more upside than anything we currently have on our roster. If Williams enters the draft and he’s available here, he’s my pick though.

WR - Airese Currie, Fred Gibson, or Jason Anderson

Announcer: In the 3rd Round with the 65th pick in the draft, the Miami Dolphins select Airese Currie (or Fred Gibson or Jason Anderson), Wide Receiver

Now here’s a golden opportunity for us to turn a position that hasn’t scared anyone for years into an absolute beast! Gibson and Anderson remind me of Brett Favre’s new favorite receiver: Javon Walker. Currie, on the other hand, is smaller speed guy like Laveranues Coles or Santana Moss. Either way, we could use this pick to make this position stand out.

Well fin fans there you have it. I got us extra 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and an additional 1st and 5th next year. Plus, I’m trying to dump ole Slick Rick Williams and get something out of him too. It's a hard sell, but you never know.

If you were the GM, how would you handle Day 1?

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Well-Known Member

ummm.....Fire you!

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Well-Known Member

I think you have to address the O-Line which you didn't....and with that 1st rounder, if there is a franchise type QB available such as Rodgers or Leinhart then you have to take them or trade down a little. I would prefer to get Rodgers, then address the line. No way do we draft a WR!

4. DanMarino13

DanMarino13 #1 Dolphins fan

Yeah, and no way we draft a DT with our #7 overall pick, regardless of how bad our run defense is this year. OFFENSE PLEASE!!!

5. feelthepain

feelthepain Banned Hammered

Seems to me everyone would be happy if we just give everyone away on the D side of the ball for nothing and draft nothing but offense. Well I guess having a great D all these years has done the to these spoiled fans as Dan did when he was here. You people.... do you watch football or do you watch just O side of the ball? We need some help on D people I might not spend the first pick on DT, but we need help there. If you people ever want to see a SB you better hope and pray we spend some picks on the D side of the ball.

6. Nicky Napoleon

Nicky Napoleon We'll Miss You Nubs

If Im the GM I trade down with SD for the 2 first round picks that they have(both look to be in the 20's) This is dependant on FA if we address the LT position there with either Jones or Samuels. If we do my first pick is Elton Brown G UVA, with the second pick I am taking Ronnie Brown RB Auburn. Now Im going to make a move that alot will not like, but I think is necessary. I would trade Surtain for a 1st or a 2nd and a 3rd. Also swing Ricky for a 3rd this year and a conditional pick next year. So we now have a second and 3 3rds. I wont use players but positions. With these 4 picks we need to address DT, C, G, and a QB(most likely Fiedler and Sage are gone) so we have 2 holes on the roster there.

7. arge

arge Scout Team

First Round-Trade Down but stay in the top 10(pick up a 2nd rounder for doing so). With the first pick, get Rodgers or the best o-lineman available. We should try to get a RB in free agency, and I would not take a WR in this round.
    Second Round-Address DT. We hate to do it, because we want the sexy pick, but we are getting gashed on our run defense, and having Chester back after a year out on injury will not suffice.
    Third Round-We have addressed QB and RB and DT. Now we must look at solid depth or surprise starter. We could look at WR or Safety. To be honest, we could even look at LB. I think Moore blows, Bua is far to small to play LB full time, and Greenwood is marginal, at best. Pope may step in, and I think Seau is done. Lots of questions here unfortunately. We may have to look at the best player available, hopefully WR or LB.
    Fourth Round-If we haven't already, we should look at bringing in a Safety. Usually there are good ones available in the late 2nd round and/or 3rd round, but we had other holes to fill. If we can't get a good one, look at OL again. We still need a guard and a center. If we can't get a RB in free agency, then we damn well better have gotten a OL (ie. Jones, Samuel, Pace-doubt it, but you never now). If this is the case, then we could look at a lot of areas. We need help everywhere except CB. Sad but true.

8. APhinnity

APhinnity Scout Team

This Team is So Ragged . . .

We could draft a left tackle, a quarterback, a running back, or a defensive tackle in the first round, and it would be hard to argue any of those moves. Still, I feel like DT is the spot hurting the most . . . literally. Bowens is done and Chester will be coming back from major knee surgery. If we don't fix this spot, it won't matter who's on the other side of the ball. If you win by running the football and stopping the run, then the positions that need to be addressed first are running back and defensive tackle. Since quality DTs are much harder to find, it makes sense to go there first.

Someone mentioned drafting a QB. Cool. Now what do we do with Feely? Cut him, carry the "dead money" on the books, and waste the 2nd rounder we gave up for him too? Man that's expensive! Should we keep him and have his backup QB be a rookie QB fresh out of college? Nah, I think we should watch the waiver wire and not let the next Warner or Garcia pass us by again! Then we could let Feely continue the learning process.

I wouldn't mind an OT in the first round but who do we cut then? McIntosh just got a huge contract and cutting him would seriously hurt the salary cap. Wade Smith? As bad as he's been, he's still just a 2nd year guy who may still get better with more time in the weight room and film room. Carey? St. Clair? Draft an LT and one of those guys have to go and we probably won't get anything for him except for younger and less experienced.

Someone said, "no way we draft a receiver." Why not?! Sure Chambers and Booker are good, but do you really want to go into another season depending on either David Boston or Derrius Thompson as our 3rd receiver? Boston is coming off of knee surgery (an injury that usually takes 2 years to heal completely) and he's a bit of a headcase too. If he comes back and turns out to be all that we had hoped, great. Look at Tom Brady's receivers: Givens, Johnson, Brown, Patton, and Branch! Plus they have two tightends (Graham and Fauria) that catch the ball. Why should we feel be happy just because our starting receivers are good. We need a third and fourth receiver!

Fellow fin fans, Wanny's put us in a hole so deep that it's gonna take more than one offseason to fix. We need a QB, LT, DT, and RB! With Seau's career in jeopardy and Zach getting up in age, some might argue that we need a LB too! Imagine what this unit might look like if Zach got hurt and Jr. doesn't make it back from his injury. Scary! I'm afraid the only way to rebuild this team is to trade down and acquire as many day one picks as possible. Jimmy made it work in Dallas and the Patriots make it work every year! I don't even have to look and I know they have more than three picks on day one this upcoming draft.

9. ronin

ronin Que ti pica?

1st Round QB,
    and if we do trade are 1st for 2 1st rounds then we get QB (Rodgers) and LB such as Derrick Johnson or another TOP LB.

DT and O-Line we address on FA. Walter Jones from Sea and Shawn Rodgers from DET would be awsome but i doubt we can afford both of them.

By the way any news with Ricky? :goof:

And no we do not cut AJ he'll be the starter and the QB we draft will learn from him. If AJ gets injured or doesn't step up, the rookie will take over his place.

10. Fritz27

Fritz27 Seasoned Veteran

We gotta take Alex Barron if we pick anywhere from 4-8.

11. gator_sensation

gator_sensation Pro Bowler

Our first pick will be QB hands down

12. gator_sensation

gator_sensation Pro Bowler

13. aqua vita81

aqua vita81 uzeeee

Lets Trade

Dolphins (1st round overall)/ Redskins(Patrick Ramsey+1st round)

14. Halfpint

Halfpint Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too!

I think that the Redskins might have the second to fith pick in the draft and I doubt that they would make that trade. I like your thinking but I think trade down for more picks and take QB Charlie Frye out of Akron or Brad Gradkowski from Toledo if he declares himself eligable. That way we get a QB and more draft picks to attend to other problem areas and team needs.

15. DolphanD

DolphanD A True Fan

Best player available. Stick to the draft board. Trade down if need be. Mel has Mike Williams as #1. Take him and release Boston is an option and hope for Orlovsky to drop to us (so much can happen between now and the draft) Or another direction Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson 1st round or Ronnie Brown. OR Alex Barron if he can plat LT. Ther are so many different directions we could go but I think we will do well. My ideal coach and GM? Jim Johnson (Philly) and Randy Mueller.

16. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

The trade down scenario is the best option. teams like Indy, KC, Green Bay and Dallas will all be looking to get up for Antrel Rolle. Miami can be shrewd and shift down for players like Alex Barron, Elton Brown, David Baas, Ben Wilkerson. Wilkerson will fall further because of his knee injury.

As for Antajj and Rodrique Wright, unless the defensive scheme changes dramatically, they are essentially too small for our system.

As for DeAngelo Williams - the guy is not a 3rd round pick. Way too low.

I don't see us taking Mike Williams either, when we have too many holes elsewhere.

I do see us taking a QB but not in R1. OL and DL are too porous for us to take a passer, especially as there is an untested 2nd rounder on the roster.

17. NCDolphan

NCDolphan FinHeaven VIP

DT is not a first round need. and Why are we drafting a WR, that is not the problem. WE can not run or pass block, and we can not throw the ball. I think between Morris, Gordon, and Minor we are OK in the Back. It is our line. I know it sounds silly but I almost would draft OL ny first three picks and try to duplicate what KC and GB Have, 3 and 4 year lines that play together. Free agency can help us out elsewhere. Think where we would be with a stellar O-Line this year. above .500 at least. We may also have to trade away some D talent like Freeman, Knight, or even a CB (although I doubt it right now). We can pick up a DT, maybe an end in the remainder of the draft. Oh yeah all that IMO!

18. D-bolt

D-bolt Starter

I am personally all about trading down and trading vets to accumulate picks for young talent. I wouldn't seeing us pickup a Chris Samuels as a FA because this would give us a little more of a chance of signing a Shaun Rodgers opposed to if we signed Walter Jones. I know I'll get ripped for this, but here it goes anyways.
    1st- we trade Surtain and our first to the Panthers for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year.

2nd- we trade bong boy for a the Raiders 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd that can eventually be a second next year based on production.

3rd- Final trade:D we trade the third overall pick to the Ravens for the ravens 21st overall first round pick and their 2nd round pick and a pick next yearTBD.

First day draft
    Round 1- Elton Brown UVA or Ben Wilkerson LSU
    With more consistent effort, Brown could be terrifyingly good. His physical tools are outstanding, and he seems to be getting better with experience. And although he still has room for improvement, Brown should be the first guard taken in the draft. Won the 2003 Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the ACC's top blocker and is a beast on the line. Has colossal size and is strong enough to handle a bull rush. Has massive legs and can open huge holes in the running game. Has above-average agility and can reach the second level. Is mobile in pass protection and can swallow smaller defenders.

Round 2a- Lance Mitchell ILB OU
    Mitchell’s draft status rests almost solely on whether he can come back as the same player he was before the knee injury. If he shows that he is healthy and continues his production, Mitchell may be a great find in Round 2. Is a fiery competitor who relishes contact. Has good speed and has improved coverage skills. Tackles solidly and can play sideline-to-sideline. Is adept against the run with enough strength to regularly shed blockers. Shows superb athleticism with size, strength, agility and toughness.

Round 2b- Chris Canty DE UVA
    Has tremendous physical ability and makeup with a marvelous blend of size, bulk, speed and agility. Shows great recognition skills. Is unyielding in pursuit. Uses long arms and hands well to separate and disengage from blockers. Shows enormous strength and makes solid tackles. Wingspan and athleticism also allow him to bat down passes at the line.
    Round 2c- Dan Orlovsky Qb UCONN Or Deangelo Williams if he declares
    Has prototype NFL size. Compensates for average arm strength with superior accuracy and timing. Has enough athletic ability to make plays on the run, and shows great leadership skills.
    Round 3a- Lorenzo Alexander DT Cal.
    Has good size and bulk. Is a very effective run stopper. Generates solid initial power and has the strength to knock back offensive linemen. Shows great lower-body strength; can play in either a two- or one-gap system. Works tirelessly and competes with high energy. Has started since sophomore season with impressive durability. Alexander has improved with every season for the Golden Bears. While he isn't an eye-popping athlete, he understands his strengths and plays every down as if it is his last. If he continues to progress as a senior, he will be a Day 1 pick.

Round 3b- Jason Campbell QB Auburn
    Is a good athlete who posses great size and strength, and has the ability to scramble. Has the arm strength to make NFL throws downfield. Shows great character, and works hard. If he continues to improve his accuracy, he has the physical abilities to possibly be a late-Day 1 pick.

Does this draft look decent or not? All opinions welcomed:D

Player Info is provided by TSN.

19. Phishstix

Phishstix Finheaven's Fattest Pimp

a guard in the first round? they aren't gonna do that again. and canty in the 2nd with a torn up knee? i smell hoo :lol:

the fins' first day draft if phishstix was gm (projected):

trade- mia 1 (2) for dal 1 (9), 1 (16), and 3 (74)
    1 (9)- Matt Lienart QB/USC
    1 (16)- Jamaal Brown OT/OU
    3 (65)- Jason Brown C/UNC
    3 (74)- Ronnie Fields DT/Miss. St.

20. D-bolt

D-bolt Starter

As I said the mock I made up was dependent on if we were able to sign a good LT in FA. If we did that I don't see any reason for not drafting Elton Brown with the first pick, unless we get an impact Gaurd in FA. Also didn't realize Canty tore up his knee, but the potential is there. If Dallas did do that trade which I doubt with both of their picks being pretty high I'm still not sold on Leinart, but Rodgers would be nice if available. Thanks for the insight though I like see others perspectives:)

21. Phishstix

Phishstix Finheaven's Fattest Pimp

yea, my draft is a bit optimistic w/ the trades, and i'm thinking that rodgers is gone at 9, so that's why they'd go with lienart. imo these are the areas they need to address- ot, c, qb, and dt, and hopefully they can take care of all of that on day one

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

We need a QB and a running back....yes I think we should trade down and see if we can get some extra picks...there may not be a "franchise" QB in this draft but there are 4-5 guys that are way better than Fiedler/Feeley and we also can pick up a very nice RB. Then take the best O Lineman we can.:)

23. Phinsdude

Phinsdude Pro Bowler

Drop to us where, we have no 2nd round pick. We screwed ourselves.

24. Nicky Napoleon

I think SD is a more likely candidate to trade down with, as it sits they look like they will have two picks in the 20's. The 9th, 16th and a 3rd is an extremely high price. I love the Elton Brown pick and think if we are picking in the second half of the draft he may very well be the choice. He is one of those guys that would more than likely step in and play from day one. He would give us a VERY GOOD right side.

Secondly every thing I have read projects Brown as a RT, and since we just took Carey so I dont think he is the choice.

25. miamirw

miamirw Pro Bowler

Okay, I trade from the top overall pick to Dallas for their two first rounders. I get the #11 and #15 overall picks. I then trade the #15 pick down to the #20 pick and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, giving me: 1 (11), 1 (20), 2 (45), 3 (67), 4 (97) for the first day of picks.

Here's how I draft:

1 (11) - Dan Orlavski, QB
    1 (20) - Marcus McNiel, LT
    2 (45) - Elton Brown, OG
    3 (67) - Anthony Bryant, DT
    4(105)- Matt Roth, DE

In free agency I pick up the best center available. A solid veteran ala LeCharles Bentley or Kevin Mawae. Spend the money, whatever it takes. I also pick up a cheap veteran QB NOT NAMED Fiedler, and stick with Ricky Williams if at all possible. If we can get an equitable trade, then I use whatever pick we get in return for Ricky (likely a late first) on the best Running back available. JJ Arrington looks very good to me.

So....How'd I do?

26. miamirw

miamirw Pro Bowler

Where do you get average arm strength. From what I can tell, he's got the strongest arm of all the QB's.

Plus, I don't believe there's any way Orlavski falls to the second round. He'll likely sneak up into the top 15 like Rivers did last year.

27. D-bolt

D-bolt Starter

Calm down there Cowboy don't know if you noticed, but at the bottom of my I noted that the info. about the players came from The Sporting News (TSN):yell:

28. finjim123

finjim123 Premium Member

We need a DT bad

29. FinsNYanksFan13

FinsNYanksFan13 Banned on Points Hammered

Anthony Munoz is injury prone and couldn't carry his father's jock strap!!

30. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

All I know is that either Donovan Raiola or Greg Eslinger who are both Jrs Centers.They should be on the Radar if they declare.....I like Raiola.

31. GatorsFins23

GatorsFins23 Don't act like you're not impressed....

I'd trade down with SD and pick up Orlovsky and Ronnie Brown, unless Rodgers comes out.

32. Nicky Napoleon

Why is everyone trying to draft Orlovsky in the first. I can only find ONE site that has him that high while I can find countless others that have his value in the late second early 3rd. He would have to pull off something greater than Rivers pulled last year. I like the guy and think he has very good arm strength, size, and presence but he can be had later in the draft. Plus I dont think we will take a QB in the first, especially if we dont see more of AJ this year. I think if we trade down it will be either with Dallas for their two 1sts, or a team in the top 10 for a second this year and a 1st next year. I just checked the value chart and if Dallas is picking where someone said at 11 and 15, they would have to include their 2nd and 3rd for the value to be equal. If we stay in the top 10 Barron should be the pick if we dont get a LT in FA. If we get a LT via FA we should trade down again, I hope to around 20 and take Elton Brown, this is a future star at RG. I wouldnt be opposed to a DT with the 2nd first, as this is quickly becoming a huge need for us. Orien Harris wouldnt be bad.