The Goat's Second Mock Draft. (Now with third-person reference AND more realism!) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Goat's Second Mock Draft. (Now with third-person reference AND more realism!)

The Goat

Escape Goat
Club Member
Reaction score
...also my last mock this year. (And there was much rejoicing)

Thanks for the feedback on my first attempt. The more I look at this year's class, the more I think we're in an absolutely perfect spot, with the perfect amount of draft picks. There are playmakers to be had here, and I'm mocking as if I'm running the team.

Because...let's face it. We have NO idea what Ireland's gonna do. Is he drafting to make a splash and trying to save his job? Is he going to go after a corn-fed lineman? Everyone has an opinion.

Please not that I am NOT reflecting the potential Albert trade here. I am also working under the assumption that if we do not trade for Albert, we will sign Winston.

1) Tavon Austin, WV - I strongly considered Eifert here, but believe the upgrade over Bess in the slot is greater than the upside of pairing Eifert with Keller. That's pretty much what it came down to. In watching tons of highlights and game clips on plenty of players in this draft, there are only a handful of players that made me lean forward in my chair, play back footage over and over again, and say "Holy ####." The only two that play offense are Cordarelle Patterson and this kid.

2a) Alex Okafor, Texas - Does not stop. Love him on the edge opposite Wake. Note - if for whatever reason Tank Carradine is still here at this point, please forget I said anything about taking Alex Okafor.

2b) Eric Reid, LSU - I know there are plenty of people who look at Clemons and say, "You know, he wasn't really that bad last year". I tend to agree. However, that is not a sentence you want to say about your Free Safety in the same division as Tom Brady. I love Reid, and he just seems to have a nose for the ball. If for whatever reason Ertz is still here at this point...well, you know. This pick is one of the main reasons I do not like the thought of shipping it to KC. There's going to be SO much talent still available at this point.

3a) Tyrann Mathieu, LSU - Yep. Right here. In my (semi) humble opinion, you need to do four things very well to win in this league 1) Protect the passer 2) have offensive playmakers 3) demolish the opposing QB 4) defend the pass. Matthieu is short, and had disciplinary issues last year. If not for those two things, he'd be the first corner taken. You know what? I don't care. The kid is an absolute freak, plays bigger than his size, and he's so damned fast it's ridiculous.

3b) Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina.

Yeah, I know. Look at it this way...how much production did we get out of our 2012 third-round pick?

4) Tavarres King, Georgia - Amongst all the wide receivers in this class, THIS is the guy I look at as the one 31 other teams will look back at in five years and say "How the heck did Tavarres King slip that far?" In the right system, with the right coach, could really shine.

5a) Jelani Jenkins, Florida - Yeah, okay, so I apparently like guys coming off injuries.

5b) Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky. Yeah, okay, so I apparently like guys coming off injuries.

7) Best. Kicker. Available.

Your feedback, as always, is welcomed.

Interesting. I think Reid is too late. I think Lattimore is too early (and your reasoning moot). You and I are 180 on Tyrann. I like the King pick a lot though.

It's hard to argue with a draft that starts with Tavon Austin. I would like to see Miami get him or Tyler Eifert at #12. Eric Reid is also one of the players I love in this draft, but I think he is moving closer to a top 20 pick. There is no way he makes it to the 2nd round IMO. I think Slimm's mock that had Eifert and Reed going 1-2 makes a ton of sense. You get a mismatch, redzone guy and a safety who can matchup well with the more athletic tight ends. At this point, Miami would need to trade back up for Reid.

Would love those first three picks, but I feel like Okafor and Reid might both be out of range at 42. Would love to get either in addition to Austin, but I'd strongly prefer Reid.

okafors not getting buzz....hard to tell where he comes off but i like the value at #42....appears reid will be long gone by #56....all your first 4 round picks i have as targets for miami...so i like the players and fit

I like the overall concept - playmaker heavy. Reid could drop as I wouldn't be surprised to see a run on OL/DL in the first and WR's/TE's in the 2nd - could force some DB's down a bit.

Loving the Lattimore pick, real high character guy that sits well with Philbin - complete opposite though with Mathieu, he doesn't fit with either Philbin or Ireland.

As for Kicker, if you want one of the top two, I suspect they will go in round 5.

Also - agree completely with Carradine over Okafor, but Okafor is a talent also, and with a similar motor to Wake could make 'Relentless' the buzzword for the DE position next year.

I like everything but Lattimore.

Love the guy but just don't think he's going to have a productive NFL career. Why buy a used car that's been in a couple of wrecks (Lattimore)...when you can buy new (i.e. a back with no knee surgeries).

I like everything but Lattimore.

Love the guy but just don't think he's going to have a productive NFL career. Why buy a used car that's been in a couple of wrecks (Lattimore)...when you can buy new (i.e. a back with no knee surgeries).

Because it's a Ferrari. On sale.

Projecting Mathieu to us will never happen. Ireland & Philbin remove players with serious character concerns so he's not even on our board.

Back
Top Bottom