The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy

LDaniel7

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
With the numbers 6 and 6.5 million per year being thrown around for resigning Hartline, I just have to post regarding the limitation that will bring Miami's offense.

For sake of argument, let's say Miami signs Wallace [Note: the argument gets even more powerful if Miami doesn't sign Wallace, more on that later]. Anyway, say Miami signs Wallace, a WR that MUST be double-covered in some fashion, if the opposing team hopes to hold the Phins in check. However, that weapon is nullified to extreme degree IF the number 2 WR on the other side of the field can EASILY be single-covered and poses no threat to gash the D down the field. Which, of course, is exactly what Hartline is: He'll be paid excellent NUMBER 2WR money, without the ability to be a number 2 that can make opposing teams pay for single coverage.

Not only that, whenever you pay an extremely mediocre WR that much money, you rob yourself of money that could go toward greater talent -- say Wallace at WR or Cook at TE.

Do the numbers:

Which tandem would you rather have? Which would put the most pressure on opposing teams? Wallace + Hartline for 19 million per, together. Or, Wallace + Cook for 21 million per, together?

Laugh. It ain't even close. Hartline with his slow-foot, non-physical, non-separation, non-leaping, non-redzone, poor catch-radius ability just ain't maximizing anything for the O. It's a waste of money AND a waste of a number 2 skill position that DEMANDS speed and talent, leaping ability and physical play and great catch radius, if not great speed. Hartline has NONE of those things.

And one thing is certain: If Hartline gets signed for anywhere near 6 mill w. guaranteed money involved, you might as well fold up that money and smoke it, if a number 2 playmaker is your goal. The Fins will have necessarily COMMITTED themselves to mediocrity at that position -- AND wasted money that could have gone for Cook, etc. -- OR, passed on potential gamebreaking WRs in the draft and skill/potential in lower rounds because they already "filled" that position.

WRONG. Waste of money and a number 2 roster space.

Please send Hartline and his 6 million dollar request on his way. Instead, sign Wallace and Cook and start from there, in the draft...

Sincerely,

LD

Okay, so you create this post about how Hartline needs to be sent away, yet you don't discuss any replacements for him? Matthews? Bess in the slot as a #2? Reach at 12? Or expect a 2nd/3rd round rookie to immediately go beast mode week 1? Smh. Supposedly you know more than ESPN analysts who have the guy as a top 5 free agent receiver this year. I am against signing him $6m +, but would ink him for around $5m.

With the numbers 6 and 6.5 million per year being thrown around for resigning Hartline, I just have to post regarding the limitation that will bring Miami's offense.

For sake of argument, let's say Miami signs Wallace [Note: the argument gets even more powerful if Miami doesn't sign Wallace, more on that later]. Anyway, say Miami signs Wallace, a WR that MUST be double-covered in some fashion, if the opposing team hopes to hold the Phins in check. However, that weapon is nullified to extreme degree IF the number 2 WR on the other side of the field can EASILY be single-covered and poses no threat to gash the D down the field. Which, of course, is exactly what Hartline is: He'll be paid excellent NUMBER 2WR money, without the ability to be a number 2 that can make opposing teams pay for single coverage.

Not only that, whenever you pay an extremely mediocre WR that much money, you rob yourself of money that could go toward greater talent -- say Wallace at WR or Cook at TE.

Do the numbers:

Which tandem would you rather have? Which would put the most pressure on opposing teams? Wallace + Hartline for 19 million per, together. Or, Wallace + Cook for 21 million per, together?

Laugh. It ain't even close. Hartline with his slow-foot, non-physical, non-separation, non-leaping, non-redzone, poor catch-radius ability just ain't maximizing anything for the O. It's a waste of money AND a waste of a number 2 skill position that DEMANDS speed and talent, leaping ability and physical play and great catch radius, if not great speed. Hartline has NONE of those things.

And one thing is certain: If Hartline gets signed for anywhere near 6 mill w. guaranteed money involved, you might as well fold up that money and smoke it, if a number 2 playmaker is your goal. The Fins will have necessarily COMMITTED themselves to mediocrity at that position -- AND wasted money that could have gone for Cook, etc. -- OR, passed on potential gamebreaking WRs in the draft and kill/potential in lower rounds because they already "filled" that position.

Please send Hartline and his 6 million dollar request on his way. Instead, sign Wallace and Cook and start from there, in the draft...

Sincerely,

LD

OH reeeeeally I will take a 1,000 yard reciever as my number #2 and he did that as our best WR last year. Also, I live in TN and see a lot of Titans games and you guys in love with Cook are in for a rude awakening. Does he suck? nope... but is he all that? no greatly under performs

You replace Hartline with Wallace, and you go from there. You DON'T overpay for mediocre number 2 money just to have a roster space filled!

It's pretty simple really.

Draft is full of potentially good to great number 2 WRs. Draft two.

LD

Note: AFCMiamiEast, this was in reply to your post. Forgot to press the reply.

You replace Hartline with Wallace, and you go from there. You DON'T overpay for mediocre number 2 money just to have a roster space filled!

It's pretty simple really.

Draft is full of potentially good to great number 2 WRs. Draft two.

LD

Note: AFCMiamiEast, this was in reply to your post. Forgot to press the reply.

I'm sorry man but your reply is just a fail all around. So you say Wallace would replace Hartline, but can't even say a #2 replacement by name? There is no meat to your argument man, let's hope Ireland picks on whats-his-face in round 2/3 who somehow will put up better numbers than 1,000 yards and 4 TDs his rookie season. It's a lock, right?

OH reeeeeally I will take a 1,000 yard reciever as my number #2 and he did that as our best WR last year. Also, I live in TN and see a lot of Titans games and you guys in love with Cook are in for a rude awakening. Does he suck? nope... but is he all that? no greatly under performs

I'm not "in love" with Cook. I was only comparing what Cook would bring at TE compared to Hartline at number 2 WR.

Personally, I'd be just as happy with Kelce at TE. Or Bennett in FA. All these guys are HUGE, HUGE upgrades over what we currently have. Fasano? Are you kidding me?? He puts as much pressure on a D as Hartline does: Zero.

I'm saying that your number one and number two WRs have to be able to create on their own, beating man coverage straight up and owning the redzone. Hartline isn't there. Therefore he doesn't deserve anywhere near 6 mill + guaranteed money.

LD

I'm saying that your number one and number two WRs have to be able to create on their own, beating man coverage straight up and owning the redzone. Hartline isn't there. Therefore he doesn't deserve anywhere near 6 mill + guaranteed money. LD

But "whats-his-face" in round 3 is a lock to do better? Mmkay.

Lets just crown you GM then! You seem to have it all figured it out huh?

I'm sorry man but your reply is just a fail all around. So you say Wallace would replace Hartline, but can't even say a #2 replacement by name? There is no meat to your argument man, let's hope Ireland picks on whats-his-face in round 2/3 who somehow will put up better numbers than 1,000 yards and 4 TDs his rookie season. It's a lock, right?

Replacing Hartline will not be hard at all. How many draft picks has Miami spent in rounds one thru three on WRs the last how many years? And how many UDFA have they brought in? Seriously??

If they had even dared to drafted WRs in the top rounds the last few years, Hartline wouldn't be considered a number two on this team.

Personally, I'm sick of watching a supposed number one or number two WR have to make double and triple moves to even get one yard of separation -- that or run back toward the LOS in order to get separation!!

Man, do me a favor. Look at how many times 1. Hartline has to run back to the LOS to make a catch! or, 2. Has to run parallel to LOS to make a catch. or, 3. Makes a catch where a decent WR would take it to the endzone, and he gets caught instead. or, 4. Makes a catch where there are YAC waiting to happen, but no! nothing much at all. Or, 5. Cannot outjump, outphysical or separate in the redzone. Man! If you made a list of those things just from this year alone, it would be a long list.

The only TD hartline scored was on blown coverage. Period. He didn't create ANYTHING else, simply because he doesn't have the talent to do so. he's not a number 1 or 2 WR. Period.

Anyone drafted in the first three rounds this year by Miami. Anyone. Will. Be. Better -- 90 percent chance, I'd put the odds at.

LD

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Lets just crown you GM then! You seem to have it all figured it out huh?

Well, I'd fix the team in one year or die trying! I'd hire CK for the draft and FA review, and boom! Suddenly Miami is dominating the AFC East as in days of yore, and playoffs are something to be expected. Like NE.

LD

Do the numbers:

And one thing is certain: If Hartline gets signed for anywhere near 6 mill w. guaranteed money involved, you might as well fold up that money and smoke it, if a number 2 playmaker is your goal. The Fins will have necessarily COMMITTED themselves to mediocrity at that position -- AND wasted money that could have gone for Cook, etc. -- OR, passed on potential gamebreaking WRs in the draft and skill/potential in lower rounds because they already "filled" that position.

Sincerely,

LD

Mannnnnnn just off the 35 page thread on the hartline issue, im not gonna rehash that the 6.5 made me angrier that I have been in a while, I have argued it down, but whats done is done,

Ireland did a terrible job with this one

Love people who know nothing about football

Ahem.

The reason I'm not happy with mediocre players is that I have seen and expect better. On the field, and coaching.

LD

Do the numbers:

Sincerely,

LD

I don't disagree. I've said all long that we should let Hartline walk, sign Wallace and find a replacement for Hartline in the draft. I would love to see a receiving corps of Wallace/Keenan Allen/Bess/Swope/Matthews.

1000 yards by default really doesnt count man, He was the BEST receiver on our team and that says something about how desperate we are at wr, not at how good he is as a player...being the ony option makes people look pretty darn solid

but agin just remember that 50 percent of his production came from 3 games, and he had 1000 yards...he was SHUT DOWN 15 games

1000 yards by default really doesnt count man, He was the BEST receiver on our team and that says something about how desperate we are at wr, not at how good he is as a player...being the ony option makes people look pretty darn solid

but agin just remember that 50 percent of his production came from 3 games, and he had 1000 yards...he was SHUT DOWN 15 games

The. Truth.

Football people -- watch the film on this guy and tell me he's a number two on a good team? Or tell me he's not more of a backup 2 -- ie. a number 4? -- not even a slot WR?

LD

Back
Top Bottom