The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy

didn't Hartline get 1000 yards going against the best defenders often times double-covered? yeah, pretty sure he can handle single coverage by the opponent's #2 DB

Really?!?!?!? cuz he sure as hell couldnt do it with Marshall here as a number #2 WR.

Everyone talks about Hartline having only 1 td last season and are quick to make excuses blaming
everyone but Hartline and his inability to get into the end zone. The same people need to get another excuse for
Hartlines 1 td in the previous 26 games before this past season...Now your talking 2 tds in 42 games

Just take a look at the points the Dolphins have scored in the past 42 games
2012...288 pts
2011...329 points
2010...186 points....last 10 games

That's 803 points the Miami Dolphins have scored in the past 42 games
Hartlines contribution over the same 42 games has been scoring 12 points

12 points out of the last 803 scored

He is responsible for .014% of our total point output

I cant for the life of me figure out how many of you would even entertain for 1 second paying this guy $6-$7 million a year

I can't either. Our fanbase is in love with this guy. I don't understand the infatuation. He only had 3 good games last year out of 16. He struggles when he is pressed at the line of scrimmage and he is a non threat to win one on one battles in the red zone. He is the definition of mediocre. He's not a bad player but he's not worth more than $3 million per year. Plain and simple. I'll name some Wrs in the draft that are better than him. Allen, Patterson, Wheaton, Woods, Patton, T. Williams, Hunter, Austin, Bailey. They would also cost the Dolphins $6 million less per year than Hartline.

Let's look at Hartline over the years with a speed threat (Ginn) and then marshall as his no. 2, then compare that to someone who's been the #2 to Wallace..Jerricho Cotchery Stats--2 years in pittsburg..2 TDs, high of 237 yards, Antonio Brown Stats : 3 years 7TD's, high of 1000 yards. (2nd year),
Emmanuel Sanders Stats: 3 years, 5TD's, high of 626 yards this last year and they played with Big Ben as QB..Hartline is pretty much equal with them. When you look at Hartline with a speeder as the other receiver he avg 16.3 yards a catch..even by himself last year he still avg. 14 yds. So he'll do just as good as any other #2 with Wallace in fold.

Receiving Stats
SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
2009------ MIA 16-- 31-- 56-- 506- 16.3- 67-- 3- 26- 0-- 0
2010------ MIA 12-- 43-- 73-- 615- 14.3- 54-- 1- 27- 1-- 1
2011------ MIA 16-- 35-- 67-- 549- 15.7- 41-- 1- 30- 0-- 0
2012------ MIA 16-- 74-- 128- 1,083 14.6 80- 1-- 48- 1- 1
Career--------- 60- 183-- 324- 2,753 15.0 80- 6- 131 2- 2

U know what i see when i read those stats?? They all scored more TDs then Hartline has in 3 years!!!! All of them. The problem is not that Hartline cant catch its that he doesnt score points... Those guys can get in the endzone alot more then he can... Hell Sanders was the #3 guy and did what hartline did as a #2 with marshall here. Sorry but Hartline is not a good #2 WR and def not worth 6+ mil.

U know what i see when i read those stats?? They all scored more TDs then Hartline has in 3 years!!!! All of them. The problem is not that Hartline cant catch its that he doesnt score points... Those guys can get in the endzone alot more then he can... Hell Sanders was the #3 guy and did what hartline did as a #2 with marshall here. Sorry but Hartline is not a good #2 WR and def not worth 6+ mil.

I've seen Hartline get behind the D a number of times over the years and our QB's missed him..he would have way more TD's than this if he was hit on those open times..if you guys watched you would know he was over or under thrown a lot of the times, I
remember the first pats game this year alone, if he's hit on that bomb, we win.

Actually, 5 to 6 million is market rate for a solid #2 and Hartline is a solid number 2. So if that is market price for him, Miami actually IS NOT overpaying. Its all economics. Some people understand it, some people dont.
You replace Hartline with Wallace, and you go from there. You DON'T overpay for mediocre number 2 money just to have a roster space filled!

It's pretty simple really.

Draft is full of potentially good to great number 2 WRs. Draft two.

LD

Note: AFCMiamiEast, this was in reply to your post. Forgot to press the reply.

Really?!?!?!? cuz he sure as hell couldnt do it with Marshall here as a number #2 WR.
I didn't say he would get 1000 yards as a #2. I said he wouldn't be easily shut down by single coverage from their #2, like the OP claims

also, Marshall didn't exactly stretch the field...

LD, you look silly by now lol.

Hartline faced (usually) the other team's best corner last year and was probably doubled once in awhile. And he still got yards and moved the chains for us. So why would he do less damage against inferior talent? That's where I'm confused by your logic. I mean if you want to argue that he gets no YAC or TDs, fine, but this is just asinine lol

I believe Hartline + Wallace would benefit from each other. Hartline is a great route runner to compliment Wallace's pure speed and attention he'll take away. We saw how he and Tannehill loved the comeback/curl last year lol. Throw in Bess, Matthews and some rookies and the offense isn't so bad.

Actually, 5 to 6 million is market rate for a solid #2 and Hartline is a solid number 2. So if that is market price for him, Miami actually IS NOT overpaying. Its all economics. Some people understand it, some people dont.

Had 3 good games out of 16 last year as the team's #1 WR. How does that mean he is a solid #2? He's a 3 in my opinion. In today's NFL, 1's and 2's are WR's that can win most of their matchups. Hartline would be a 3 on most teams. Look around the league. Most teams' 1 and 2's are better than Hartline. I think people that say Hartline is a solid #2 are outdated and stuck in the old days, much like Parcells.

LD, you look silly by now lol.

Hartline faced (usually) the other team's best corner last year and was probably doubled once in awhile. And he still got yards and moved the chains for us. So why would he do less damage against inferior talent? That's where I'm confused by your logic. I mean if you want to argue that he gets no YAC or TDs, fine, but this is just asinine lol

I believe Hartline + Wallace would benefit from each other. Hartline is a great route runner to compliment Wallace's pure speed and attention he'll take away. We saw how he and Tannehill loved the comeback/curl last year lol. Throw in Bess, Matthews and some rookies and the offense isn't so bad.

3 good games out of 16. 3 good games out of 16. 3 good games out of 16. 3 good games out of 16......maybe if I type it enough times people will read that FACT.

I've seen Hartline get behind the D a number of times over the years and our QB's missed him..he would have way more TD's than this if he was hit on those open times..if you guys watched you would know he was over or under thrown a lot of the times, I
remember the first pats game this year alone, if he's hit on that bomb, we win.

Great point. Give him a full training camp with Hartline and let's see if they start to connect.

As far as for when we had him and Marshall? Well, that was a different coaching staff, they forcefed Marshall pretty sure, and most of all it wasn't Tannehill throwing the ball back then either.

Had 3 good games out of 16 last year as the team's #1 WR. How does that mean he is a solid #2? He's a 3 in my opinion. In today's NFL, 1's and 2's are WR's that can win most of their matchups. Hartline would be a 3 on most teams. Look around the league. Most teams' 1 and 2's are better than Hartline. I think people that say Hartline is a solid #2 are outdated and stuck in the old days, much like Parcells.

#3 receivers generally don't get 1000 yards period. Hartline's not the fastest, but he's sneaky fast, he shouldn't have gotten as many yards as he did last year, but he did, and that's coming in not on the best of legs. remember.. I'm in love more with Hartline's hands, they're like Bess, pretty reliable and that moves the chains..and that's what a good #2 should do, and I trust Hartline to do that. And btw, let a db sleep on Hartline, watch what happens.

First lets see what happens he may never sign and we do no know what the figures are until after the nasty deed is done. So far I see one guy we have brought back Starks that everyone basically agrees on and the rest has been a lot of second guessing over nothing. Lots of folks must not have much of a life.

#3 receivers generally don't get 1000 yards period. Hartline's not the fastest, but he's sneaky fast, he shouldn't have gotten as many yards as he did last year, but he did, and that's coming in not on the best of legs. remember.. I'm in love more with Hartline's hands, they're like Bess, pretty reliable and that moves the chains..and that's what a good #2 should do, and I trust Hartline to do that. And btw, let a db sleep on Hartline, watch what happens.

He was the team's primary WR. How in the world is he not going to get 1000 yards in today's pass happy league? The most concerning thing is he was shut down during the second half of the season because teams started to press him at the line and he couldn't get separation. Look at the tape. Just look at it. The difference between Hartline and real 1's and 2's is that 1. he can't get off the line of scrimmaged when pressed and 2. he doesn't win contested catch battles. How can anyone argue this? This is the reason he doesn't score TD's more than anything else. This is the reason why he was shut down the second half of the year. This is the reason he should NOT get #2 WR money. Disagree and delude yourselves all you like but facts are facts, and the facts I stated are indisputable.

Number 2 with no number 1 simply stated. Also #3's do not receive for 1,000 yards even if they get every pass thrown to them so that is a moot point on your part.

In all honesty, you are the one who needs ot look around the league . What #2's receive for 1,000 yards? Tell me how many #1's receive for 1,000 yards.. Boldin-not 1,000 yards, Flloyd-not 1,000 yards, Johnson -less yards than Hartline, Maclin-not 1,000 yards, Bowe, not 1,000 yards, Fitzgerald, not 1,000 yards, Brown-not 1,000 yards.. Shall I continue.. These are all number 1 WR's who didn't receive for 1,000 yards... See the point... Hartline is a #2, forced into the challenge of a #1 role, and hung with the the leagues elite in terms of yardage. Would have liked to see more TD's however to say he is not a solid #2 and is only a #3 shows how little you really know about the position and what a #1, #2 and #3 receiver is.

Oh.. Do I also need to mention he did this with not one minute of mini camps, training camps or preseason, with a brand new playbook, coaching staff, playcallers, and QB, with the defenses best CB lined up against him.. I guess that accounts for nothing.. :chuckle:

I think 5 million is a fair price for him, but if we have to spend only another million, then so be it. If he were asking for 7, thats a different story now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Number 2 with no number 1 simply stated. Also #3's do not receive for 1,000 yards even if they get every pass thrown to them so that is a moot point on your part.

In all honesty, you are the one who needs ot look around the league . What #2's receive for 1,000 yards? Tell me how many #1's receive for 1,000 yards.. Boldin-not 1,000 yards, Flloyd-not 1,000 yards, Johnson -less yards than Hartline, Maclin-not 1,000 yards, Bowe, not 1,000 yards, Fitzgerald, not 1,000 yards, Brown-not 1,000 yards.. Shall I continue.. These are all number 1 WR's who didn't receive for 1,000 yards... See the point... Hartline is a #2, forced into the challenge of a #1 role, and hung with the the leagues elite in terms of yardage. Would have liked to see more TD's however to say he is not a solid #2 and is only a #3 shows how little you really know about the position and what a #1, #2 and #3 receiver is.

Oh.. Do I also need to mention he did this with not one minute of mini camps, training camps or preseason, with a brand new playbook, coaching staff, playcallers, and QB, with the defenses best CB lined up against him.. I guess that accounts for nothing.. :chuckle:

I think 5 million is a fair price for him, but if we have to spend only another million, then so be it. If he were asking for 7, thats a different story now.

You have to analyze the quality of the 1000 yards. Do you think he could sustain that if he was the teams' #1 again this year? Very doubtful. He had a once in a lifetime season because of 3 huge games where teams played very soft coverage which played into his biggest strength. What you need to take a look at is the second half of the season. Teams adjusted and he couldn't handle press coverage. He wasn't even double teamed because the safeties were in the box shutting down the run. Just watch the tape. That's all I'm asking. WATCH THE TAPE.

Back
Top Bottom