The Importance Of T.J. McDonald | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Importance Of T.J. McDonald

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
The last time that the Miami Dolphins secondary created a cause for concern to opposing teams was in 2003. Patrick Surtain, Sam Madison, Brock Marion and Sammy Knight dawned the aqua and teal and created a sense a fear around the NFL.

Since then, the Dolphins have been trying to find players to fill those voids. The closest they came was during the 2009 NFL draft, the Dolphins drafted both Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, but had no legit safety combination that created any ounce of fear.

More at LINK: http://phinphanatic.com/2017/05/18/importance-t-j-mcdonald/

Your thoughts? ---

I love McDonald problem is we don't have him for 8 games

Good thing is, the 8 games we have him for are the more important one's.

I am cautiously optimistic when it comes to McDonald. He's either a non-factor and we've lost nothing or he's a solid contributor that we got for peanuts.

It was worth signing him.

TJ is a great double insurance policy. Jones gets hurt and we have a very good replacement. Nate Allen gets hurt or just plain sucks over the first half, we have an upgrade at mid-season.

Davis, Smith, Bell, Clemons was a decent secondary.

Anyway. TJ is the signing of the offseason imo.

Still not convinced about our corner group and esp at slot.

TJ was a nice signing, minimal risk high reward. I don't have much, if any confidence in Nate Allen, so I really hope McDonald can be productive for us in the 2nd half of the season.

I remember a Pats player got his reduced ladt Year..... why can't we have that done

I think that Reshad is actually underrated in coverage and as a rangy center fielder in the deep secondary. Our best bet might be having Reshad in that role as more of a classic FS and TJ as our in the box classic SS in the final 8 games.
If we're going to go more classic "Tampa 2" then those are not 2 guys you want to have splitting the field in the deep secondary.

I think that Reshad is actually underrated in coverage and as a rangy center fielder in the deep secondary. Our best bet might be having Reshad in that role as more of a classic FS and TJ as our in the box classic SS in the final 8 games.
If we're going to go more classic "Tampa 2" then those are not 2 guys you want to have splitting the field in the deep secondary.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

We have all seen reshad run down some of the fastest Rbs and receivers in the league.

He definitely has the range, catching ability, and play recognition. Wasn't he a FS coming out of college?

TJ Mcdonald may be the msot underrated signing in the NFL in general.

The guy is big, fast, and a sure tackler.

I'd experiment with him in many different situations.

We could move him to FS and also let him play the small Lber role that every team seems to have but us.

Our FO was smart enough to sign this guy and deal with the 8 games suspension.

They must really think he's an impact maker. He's a pro bowl talent that seemed forgiving for his behavior.

Doesn't hurt to give him a shot and see what happens.

Lol Reshad at FS. You gotta be kidding me. He's a much better player than he was his first stint at free but that was meh. He's definitely best coming forward, reading the play, and clicking. I'd love him as a 4-2-5 will but we don't have the gap eaters to keep him clean. So strong safety and cover 3 box safety with occasional man responsibilities in the slot. Limit his deep over the top exposure.

Lol Reshad at FS. You gotta be kidding me. He's a much better player than he was his first stint at free but that was meh. He's definitely best coming forward, reading the play, and clicking. I'd love him as a 4-2-5 will but we don't have the gap eaters to keep him clean. So strong safety and cover 3 box safety with occasional man responsibilities in the slot. Limit his deep over the top exposure.

Not disputing that Jones is better at strong, but with McDonald as our other best safety option, we just don't have a great rangy, true, classic coverage FS on the roster. Jones at FS and McDonald at SS might be our best option. Perfect should not be the enemy of good.

Ya I don't think anyone's disputing that he's one of the best Safeties overall in the game lol

I do believe he has the ability and knowledge to be a FS. He was at Georgia

I don't believe our FO picked up TJ for $hits and giggles.

They understand he's a big, fast, thumper that could play a vital role on our defense.

Why waste talent? What if Reshad can play FS? It'll keep him younger absorbing less hits which will keep him around longer.

Mcdonald is a bigger player that shouldn't be taken for granted. He's a pro bowl talent.

When Reshad played FS, he was young and definitely not the player he's turned out to be.

That was awhile ago. A secondary of Howard, Mcdonald, Jones, and Maxwell isn't too shabby.

Whether it will work out or not is why there's training camp. Maybe Reshad is capable..

I've seen signs that Reshad can play any S position. He probably has the best acceleration on our entire D.

Reshad's body needs a real break. Mcdonald is the perfect SS to fit the role.

They'll explore the possibility. Nobody's saying it will work but it's at least worth the chance lol

Davis, Smith, Bell, Clemons was a decent secondary.

Anyway. TJ is the signing of the offseason imo.

Still not convinced about our corner group and esp at slot.

Where do you think TJ will play (when he can) or what we will do with him?

Alan Branch had his suspension reduced right before the season started. It is possible to get reduced to 4 games

Back
Top Bottom