The Importance Of T.J. McDonald

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Perfect72, May 18, 2017.

1. Perfect72

Perfect72 It's Only Happened ONCE!

The last time that the Miami Dolphins secondary created a cause for concern to opposing teams was in 2003. Patrick Surtain, Sam Madison, Brock Marion and Sammy Knight dawned the aqua and teal and created a sense a fear around the NFL.

Since then, the Dolphins have been trying to find players to fill those voids. The closest they came was during the 2009 NFL draft, the Dolphins drafted both Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, but had no legit safety combination that created any ounce of fear.

More at LINK: http://phinphanatic.com/2017/05/18/importance-t-j-mcdonald/

Your thoughts? ---

2. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I love McDonald problem is we don't have him for 8 games

3. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Good thing is, the 8 games we have him for are the more important one's.

I am cautiously optimistic when it comes to McDonald. He's either a non-factor and we've lost nothing or he's a solid contributor that we got for peanuts.

It was worth signing him.

4. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

TJ is a great double insurance policy. Jones gets hurt and we have a very good replacement. Nate Allen gets hurt or just plain sucks over the first half, we have an upgrade at mid-season.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Davis, Smith, Bell, Clemons was a decent secondary.

Anyway. TJ is the signing of the offseason imo.

Still not convinced about our corner group and esp at slot.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  6. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

TJ was a nice signing, minimal risk high reward. I don't have much, if any confidence in Nate Allen, so I really hope McDonald can be productive for us in the 2nd half of the season.

7. phazer

phazer Well-Known Member

I remember a Pats player got his reduced ladt Year..... why can't we have that done

8. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

I like the McDonald signing. The guy hits like a truck. Sucks we only have him for 8 games.

9. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I think that Reshad is actually underrated in coverage and as a rangy center fielder in the deep secondary. Our best bet might be having Reshad in that role as more of a classic FS and TJ as our in the box classic SS in the final 8 games.
    If we're going to go more classic "Tampa 2" then those are not 2 guys you want to have splitting the field in the deep secondary.

10. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

That's exactly what I was thinking.

We have all seen reshad run down some of the fastest Rbs and receivers in the league.

He definitely has the range, catching ability, and play recognition. Wasn't he a FS coming out of college?

TJ Mcdonald may be the msot underrated signing in the NFL in general.

The guy is big, fast, and a sure tackler.

I'd experiment with him in many different situations.

We could move him to FS and also let him play the small Lber role that every team seems to have but us.

Our FO was smart enough to sign this guy and deal with the 8 games suspension.

They must really think he's an impact maker. He's a pro bowl talent that seemed forgiving for his behavior.

Doesn't hurt to give him a shot and see what happens.

Pandarilla and insomnia411 like this.
  11. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

Lol Reshad at FS. You gotta be kidding me. He's a much better player than he was his first stint at free but that was meh. He's definitely best coming forward, reading the play, and clicking. I'd love him as a 4-2-5 will but we don't have the gap eaters to keep him clean. So strong safety and cover 3 box safety with occasional man responsibilities in the slot. Limit his deep over the top exposure.

12. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Not disputing that Jones is better at strong, but with McDonald as our other best safety option, we just don't have a great rangy, true, classic coverage FS on the roster. Jones at FS and McDonald at SS might be our best option. Perfect should not be the enemy of good.

13. JakeemThe Dream

Ya I don't think anyone's disputing that he's one of the best Safeties overall in the game lol

I do believe he has the ability and knowledge to be a FS. He was at Georgia

I don't believe our FO picked up TJ for $hits and giggles.

They understand he's a big, fast, thumper that could play a vital role on our defense.

Why waste talent? What if Reshad can play FS? It'll keep him younger absorbing less hits which will keep him around longer.

Mcdonald is a bigger player that shouldn't be taken for granted. He's a pro bowl talent.

When Reshad played FS, he was young and definitely not the player he's turned out to be.

That was awhile ago. A secondary of Howard, Mcdonald, Jones, and Maxwell isn't too shabby.

Whether it will work out or not is why there's training camp. Maybe Reshad is capable..

I've seen signs that Reshad can play any S position. He probably has the best acceleration on our entire D.

Reshad's body needs a real break. Mcdonald is the perfect SS to fit the role.

They'll explore the possibility. Nobody's saying it will work but it's at least worth the chance lol

14. JakeemThe Dream

Where do you think TJ will play (when he can) or what we will do with him?

15. phazer

phazer Well-Known Member

Alan Branch had his suspension reduced right before the season started. It is possible to get reduced to 4 games

16. mjsexton

mjsexton Rookie Finheaven VIP Donator

I hope TJ gets his head on straight during the suspension and makes an impact this year and going forward. It's a gamble with not much to lose now, and hopefully a lot to gain later...we'll see....

17. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

I think it has something to do with a previous DUI charge
    that he agreed to. Not sure where I read that.

18. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

Plus the PLAYOFFS!!!!!!

HeavenCent likes this.
  19. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

The best thing is that Miami likely has the inside track to signing him long-term in the offseason. I'd have to think McDonald will love playing for Gase so that's something to watch. If he turns out to disappoint (unlikely), than it's just a small one-year signing.

Love the player and that the Dolphins are adding physical players to this roster.

Goin` Deep likes this.
  20. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

The safety position is going to be interesting to follow this season we need some young bodies back there

21. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

Brother I think he has some great players to help be role models for him. I truly believe this defense is one the verge of building something that will be enjoyable to watch the work in progress. I think this defensive unit is going to have more pep in there step.

mjsexton likes this.
  22. Digital

Digital Starter

We're in a great spot with regards to McDonald. Looking at how injuries devastated us last year, he provides insurance this year at a very inexpensive salary. If he screws up off the field, he is an extremely cheap cut. If he plays, he will be an unbelievable bargain, fresh going into the playoffs, adding hitting, tackling and a veteran presence. Honestly, we're in a perfect position. He is on an extreme "prove it" contract with virtually zero downside for the Dolphins. There really are no cons to this deal. He doesn't even count on the roster until he becomes available in week 9. This is like getting 100 scratcher lottery tickets for a penny ... if you lose ... so what? There is so much upside.

mjsexton, Pandarilla and Goin` Deep like this.
  23. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

That game was epic last year.

Hayes and McDonald... Blessed

Digital likes this.
  24. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Stopped reading the OP's post when I got to "aqua and teal" ... it's petty on my part I know but I have a mental block when I read any writing that can't even describe the teams proper color scheme :wall

25. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Best case scenario is Nate Allen returns to 2014 form and then McD comes back and our "big nickel" package (3 safeties) is a strength. TJ as a hybrid safety/LB. (Keeps McCain and Thomas off the field.)

We play only 2 division games over first 11 weeks so TJ will be here for the remaining 6. He gets back week 9 vs Oakland and then Carolina in week 10.

26. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Its not going to happen, its his second strike, which is why his agent did not appeal. Therefore, im not particularly counting on the guy, whatever we get I will look at as a bonus.

27. Russ57

Russ57 Member

Used to be that a safety "hitting" a WR/TE hard enough to make him drop the ball was a valid way to defend a pass. Both TJ and Reshad can play that role. They just have to careful about penalties. Regardless, I take a few of them to get the point across! IMHO it is the best way to handle those short crossing routes the Pats have made so famous. Seahawks seem to get away with it.

Neither of them are the classic deep center field ball-hawking type. I would think both could fill the 4-2-5 role.

28. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

NFL Commissioner Roger Craft would not allow it.