The interesting phone call Gase made to one of Dolphins’ quarterbacks (And Jackson notes) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The interesting phone call Gase made to one of Dolphins’ quarterbacks (And Jackson notes)

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Some Dolphins notes in the midst of a three-day mini-bye for the players:

• Shortly after Adam Gase decided to sign David Fales as his backup quarterback for the Baltimore game a couple of weeks ago, practice squad quarterback Brandon Doughty got an unexpected call.

Gase was on the other line.

Gase broke the news, that for a second year in a row, he was opting to sign a veteran backup (T.J. Yates last December, Fales this year) when his starting quarterback was injured, bypassing the option of promoting Doughty to the 53-man roster.

But Gase had some other news, too: He told Doughty he was giving him a raise, from $7200 a week (typical for a practice squad player) to $15,200

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article183356121.html

I like Doughty and Asiata’s responses.

This was the most interesting piece of info in that column

The Ajayi trade was puzzling to some internally. One Dolphins person (on the football side) who’s in the locker-room a lot said he never witnessed malcontent behavior from Ajayi, though some of his complaints were directed to his running backs coach.

For those who continue to believe or are pushing the "insubordination" narrative.

I'm shaking my head regarding Asiata.He can't even break through our poor
offensive line's guard situation. Is he a bit slow?
Can't be strength because he led ALL
offensive lineman in bench presses at the combine and was considered, by scouts,a mauler.

This would indicate he's spent time in a weight room yet rumors abound say
he needs to work on his strength...which I highly doubt.

Is this going to be another "Gase situation" where Asiata won't get a chance
this season unless a few more linemen go down with injuries.

I hate this red shirt bullcrap since you go another year not knowing what
you have with said player but Gase seems to be very "thick headed"
and I believe a detriment at times with this team. I find it absolutely
absurd that we can't get him a handful of snaps per game

For those who continue to believe or are pushing the "insubordination" narrative.

The difference is...those that are pushing the insubordinate (which is the truth) actually know the reasons why.

Reliable info there. "One Dolphins person (on the football side) who’s in the locker-room a lot" - knows more than the head coach.

Yep!

I'm shaking my head regarding Asiata.He can't even break through our poor
offensive line's guard situation. Is he a bit slow?
Can't be strength because he led ALL
offensive lineman in bench presses at the combine and was considered, by scouts,a mauler.

This would indicate he's spent time in a weight room yet rumors abound say
he needs to work on his strength...which I highly doubt.

Is this going to be another "Gase situation" where Asiata won't get a chance
this season unless a few more linemen go down with injuries.

I hate this red shirt bullcrap since you go another year not knowing what
you have with said player but Gase seems to be very "thick headed"
and I believe a detriment at times with this team. I find it absolutely
absurd that we can't get him a handful of snaps per game
I'd like to see him get some reps too but I think one of the reasons might be ST's as in they won't activate him just to give him a few snaps a game because it'd mean leaving somebody out that plays on ST's, specially now that Drake, Williams and Thomas are playing more. Unless they really are going to play him all game long he's probably not going to play at all. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, just saying that could be one reason

Ozzy rules!!

Having the record for bench press means you have the record for the bench press. Apparently Asia take has little to below average functional football strength. Being considered a mauler in the Mountain West is underwhelming

Having the record for bench press means you have the record for the bench press. Apparently Asia take has little to below average functional football strength. Being considered a mauler in the Mountain West is underwhelming

A little OT, but this is where I think local sports writers drop the ball. I'd like to see an occasional article on the backup and PS guys. What ARE there weaknesses/strengths? What keeps them from being active? As for the phone call, if Doughy, in camp all year, is not considered close to Fales, why is he on the team? There is no QB sitting st home better than he is?

This was suppose to be a redshirt year for Cordrea Tank and now h s our best CB.
By far.

He's secured his spot as a long term starter, whereas Howard is a question mark going forward, IMO. Thought it'd be the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom