The kind of Free agents Fins should be looking at | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The kind of Free agents Fins should be looking at

finforlife

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about players like Flozell Adams and Faneca for the Fins to pursue. But I think these are exactly the kind of players they should be avoiding in FA.

If we were a player or two away from being competitive, I have no problem looking at these guys. But in a rebuilding mode, to me it makes little sense to throw unreal amounts of money at 30-plus players.

As far as elite free agents, I think you have to look at players like Briggs, Corey Williams and Ken Hamlin. These are guys all around 27 and still have high ceilings. It's not often players like that hit the market, therefore you have to explore those possibilities. They can be on your team past the rebuilding process.

I would also like to see the Fins look at players like Bryant Johnson, Tommy Kelly and Randall Gay. I think these are all players that would fit into our system and are all young enough they can still get better, or at least maintain they level they are at for several more seasons.

basically Cheap, young, unknowns free agent with potential. Going on the spending spree is not good unless its a position such CB or LT.

Randall Gay, Bryant Johnson, Isaac Sopoago and the tackle from pats that never crack the line up

The types of players we will be looking at are players who played for Parcells in the past.He has built a reputation for using this method to build successful teams. Parcells hardly ever signs FA's that haven't played for him and if he does they are few and far between.

The types of players we will be looking at are players who played for Parcells in the past.He has built a reputation for using this method to build successful teams. Parcells hardly ever signs FA's that haven't played for him and if he does they are few and far between.

urban legend.

just using the info I can find for 2004, 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys....here are players he's signed who he didn't have a history with:

Eddie George
Marcellus Wiley
Marc Columbo
JR Tolver
Marco Rivera
Mike barrow
Anthony Henry
Tony Bua
Cory Procter
Ethan Brooks
Terrell Owens (yeah I know this wasn't his choice)
Mike Vanderjagt
Ryan Hannam
Kyle Kosier
Akin Ayodele
Abram Elam

(there were 7 players over this span that I could link Parcells to : Testeverde, D.Ward, J.Ferguson, M.Coleman, Bledsoe, A.Glenn and J.Fabini)

There were several relative unknowns who I didn't know either way so I didn't include.

Does Parcells have a history of bringing in staff and players that he has worked with before? Absolutely. Does he avoid players that he hasn't worked with? No. :up:

Cheap no. Players yes. Faneca is a player. Pay him some dough. he is not old. your only as old as your play shows. Faneca is still great. It showed in Pitt. Still a PB player. Guys like him never quit.

urban legend.

just using the info I can find for 2004, 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys....here are players he's signed who he didn't have a history with:

Eddie George
Marcellus Wiley
Marc Columbo
JR Tolver
Marco Rivera
Mike barrow
Anthony Henry
Tony Bua
Cory Procter
Ethan Brooks
Terrell Owens (yeah I know this wasn't his choice)
Mike Vanderjagt
Ryan Hannam
Kyle Kosier
Akin Ayodele
Abram Elam

(there were 7 players over this span that I could link Parcells to : Testeverde, D.Ward, J.Ferguson, M.Coleman, Bledsoe, A.Glenn and J.Fabini)

There were several relative unknowns who I didn't know either way so I didn't include.

Does Parcells have a history of bringing in staff and players that he has worked with before? Absolutely. Does he avoid players that he hasn't worked with? No. :up:

I didn't say he avoids players he hasn't worked with I said they are few and far between.I would consider those that you listed to be the the few and far between when you look at the fact that was a span over 3 yrs and that there are 53 guys to a roster. I would say the majority of guys that make up Parcells roster are guys he is familiar with and rookies he has chosen.So far Trey Darilek(signed),Matt Baker(signed),Junior Glymph(signed0, Joey Thomas(signed), Keyshawn(rumors),Sean Ryan(expressed interest), and I would be willling to bet Flo and Keith Davis wind up here are all past system guys.I would say for every maybe one to two non familar guys he might bring in he brings in ten familiar guys.

I didn't say he avoids players he hasn't worked with I said they are few and far between.I would consider those that you listed to be the the few and far between when you look at the fact that was a span over 3 yrs and that there are 53 guys to a roster.
But he named 15 (16 if one counts TO) that the 'Pokes signed that didn't have ties with Parcells vs. only 7 (over the same span that he can remember) that did. So if the 15 is "few and far between", then what's the 7? Sorry, but unless you can come up with more names for the latter category, I'd say this myth has been busted.

7 Year vet and Super Bowl MVP Dwight Smith was just released from the Vikes. Might be worth a look.

One of those Guys on your list never played a snap.

Jerry Jones took a flyer on just about everybody, as long as your not paying a signing bonus. It doesn't cost if you cut the guy a day later.

I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about players like Flozell Adams and Faneca for the Fins to pursue. But I think these are exactly the kind of players they should be avoiding in FA.

If we were a player or two away from being competitive, I have no problem looking at these guys. But in a rebuilding mode, to me it makes little sense to throw unreal amounts of money at 30-plus players.

As far as elite free agents, I think you have to look at players like Briggs, Corey Williams and Ken Hamlin. These are guys all around 27 and still have high ceilings. It's not often players like that hit the market, therefore you have to explore those possibilities. They can be on your team past the rebuilding process.

I would also like to see the Fins look at players like Bryant Johnson, Tommy Kelly and Randall Gay. I think these are all players that would fit into our system and are all young enough they can still get better, or at least maintain they level they are at for several more seasons.

The decisions of who we pick up have to be a balance of cost vs. need vs. potential. Guys like Faneca and Adams can be a big part of our renaissance. While they may have lost a step, they can still be productive and of course, once the 29th rolls around, we'll soon know about the cost. But because we have so many holes several guys might be better for us than one or two big ones. However, that is no guarantee that we still won't sign a big name or two plus a few others...

Make no mistake about it, we'll be active in the FA market this offseason. In this day of FA, turnarounds can happen in one or two offseasons...unlike in the past where you had to consider 3-4 yrs...

The type of players you're talking about are the type of players our roster was full of last year. (young, unknown, cheap with potential) Do you really want to go through that again?

Signing guys like Faneca and Adams make sense because whether we're rebuilding or not, we need to keep our young QB from getting concussed if he's going to improve this year.

I wonder how many people in the "don't sign Faneca or Flozell Adams" crowd are also in the "don't trade Jason Taylor unless you get a truckload of draft picks" crowd?

If the only things we did this off-season and draft is fortify our O and D lines and our LB's I'd be more than satisfied. Whether it's F.Adams and J.Bell or J.Long and A.Brandon on the O side and C.Williams/M.Jenkins and A.Odom or C.Long/S.Ellis and R.Bryant on the D side I don't care but let's get it done so the next off season we could be a big FA signing away from the ultimate goal. D.Conner and or B.Bell with C.Pace wouldn't hurt either. I maybe asking too much but I'm as excited about our team as ever before, we have one direction to go and the people in place to take us there.

Bryant Johnson or Bernard Berrian should be the first free agent(s) that we we pursue. One of the most important things in developing a young QB and WR together is to have a veteran WR also. Now that Chambers and M. Booker are gone it is imperative to sign a veteran. Going after Flozell Adams makes sense because he can move to LT and aloow Vernon Carey to move back to RT, where he seems to be more comfortable, although I thought he held his own at LT last year. If Calvin Pace doesnt resign with the Cardinals or he isnt franchised, we should go after him too. You can never have too much depth on the D-line. I know theres probably no way that the Dolphins sign all three of these free agents, but we have the cap room to at least sign 2 and probably all 3.

Back
Top Bottom