The Media didn't waste any time ripping us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by go_fins, Mar 14, 2006.

1. go_fins

go_fins Pro Bowler

and rightly so!
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11828040/
    What ever happened to building through the draft? I was so hopeful for the upcoming season, and now this:mad: . :sigh: Culpepper's numbers are nothing but a side effect of that super freak Randy Moss' heorics on the field. Culpepper is over rated and the Vikings pulled another fast one on us. did somebody let Spielman back in the building??:confused:

2. MADolphan413

MADolphan413 Member

Moss did not have such a great year without Culpepper throwing him the ball. He was the best option for the Phins.

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Prove It!

As a fan of any team, if you base your satisfaction on what the media says you will never be 100% happy.

Saban is making haste slowly and properly....go with the flow and let the moves happen and wait for the performance on the field to define the validity of the FA signings or draft picks.

Sheesh....the media and their opinion is meaningless!

4. the final copy

the final copy Member

k, it's break time for you. you've had too much internet for one day.

5. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP

what is drew brees w/o LT and gates? lol

6. fins513

fins513 Well-Known Member

Yea moss was not the best player in the nfl based on himself Daunte made him as well as Randy making Daunte. And last time i checked we have a guy who can leap out of the stadium and make acrobatic grabs just like moss.

7. phinman1

phinman1 Seriously now

Oh no, MSNBC ripped the move? The article is so inane I don't know quite where to begin. What has Moss done without Culpepper? Perhaps Daunte made him.

I can understand you wanting Brees instead, after all who wouldn't want the QB who is slower, smaller, weaker, has less of a cannon, has a worse career passing rating, costs more and is coming off of a major operation on his throwing shoulder.

8. fins1

fins1 Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

I for one want to see Zach and Jason win a SB. That won't happen with a rookie QB. Yes we gave up a 2nd round pick but i'm not worried. I feel Saban knows more about the rookies coming out this year than most. He probably recruited alot of them.
    CPep played great under Linehan. When he left CPep lost his guidance. Look who the coach was for gods sake. That organization was a joke.
    Have no fear Saban is here(read with mighty mouse music in background)

9. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass R.I.P. - Nick is God

What on earth are you talking about, by all accounts this is the first article I have read ripping the Dolphins, check out articles by Sean Salisbury, Chris Carter, Pete Prisco, etc...

And by the subtitle by this clown that suggests that Culpepper is nothing with out Moss sounds like something some fat fantasy football geek at my work would say.

10. chirkware

chirkware UT Vols Fan

And MAN! Won't it be nice to see Chambers bring in those DEEP passes from Cullpepper! Chambers face probably looks something like this :D right now!

11. CChambers7284

CChambers7284 The Biggest Fins Fan from CT

[mod]Do not circumvent the profanity filter. - DM[/mod]

and our guy isnt a *** that ruins team chemistry

12. Miami_Fan

Miami_Fan Active Member

yeah i know chambers can make crazy catches just like moss and pep should be fine and then if we get t.o. well then its over cause t.o. is just as good as moss if not better and pep will have numbers that are huge. i expect chambers to have like 1200 yards atleast next year

13. ibemacin

ibemacin Well-Known Member

Its MSNBC I mean who has ever heard of this guy, I know I havent?

14. fins1

fins1 Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

[mod]Do not circumvent the profanity filter. - DM[/mod]

I have but he usually goes by the name *** Clown.

15. go_fins

go_fins Pro Bowler

I really hope I'm wrong about DC because I really love my fins. But all these years DC has been facing defenses designed to stop one person, and that is Randy Moss. All he ever faced was double teams againts Moss, safety help towards Moss, and rolling coverages designed to give the CB's extra help on handling Moss. That helped the running game for Minni and made it easier for the other receivers. Now he won't have that, and look at last year when teams were designing their defenses to stop Culpepper, he threw more picks than Feeley! plus his knee is busted up! I really hope Saban knows what he's doing, but I would have prefered we draft a young QB and bring in McNair or keeps Gus for a year or two.

16. Dolfan4life!

Dolfan4life! A True Fan

The writer (who I have never heard of before) comes off as a po'ed Raiders fan thats mad that DC didn't end up in Oakland.

17. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass R.I.P. - Nick is God

And what exactly has Randy Moss's great talents done for Oakland? You don't see Kerry Collins lighting it up like Culpepper did, do we?

18. Gladsadmad

Gladsadmad A True Fan

19. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

Culpepper did pretty well without Moss when he was hurt in 2004 and missed 5 1/2 games. He was still putting up good numbers.

20. Mainge

Mainge FinHeaven VIP

Besides Moss, what other weapon did Culpepper have last year?

He's got weapons flying out of his butt here.

21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Ready for Henne.

i think this is the first and only media outlet that actually considered the trade to be a bad move. Congrats on finding it.

22. PhinBeck

PhinBeck Perennial All-Pro

LOL an article that cant even get it's facts straight. We took Pepper after Brees turned us down? If I am not mistaken, we dropped out of the bidding? Am I wrong?

23. SECfootball

SECfootball Pro Bowler

[​IMG]

=

24. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Chambers, Ronnie Brown, Randy Mcmike, Marty Booker, Ricky II (provided the league isnt a bunch of aholes), Shelton, James, Mangold (oops, sorry to let the cat out of the bag), Hadnot, Carey, and oh, little Wes Welker......DC isnt going to have a problem at all.

DC will find out what its like to hand off to probowlers.

25. SBN3YEARS

SBN3YEARS FinHeaven VIP

Take it easy....I have read pretty much every article about the trade and that is one of the few negative ones. MSN, c'mon!!:fire:

26. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

No disrespect intended, but whom would you have started next season? Gus? Sage? Cleo Lemons? Couch? Ramsey? McNair? I mean, seriously; who was out there with more upside than Culpepper? If I had told you two years ago that we could get Culpepper, what would you have said then?

27. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Who the hell is that guy? I have never heard of him.

28. Shamboubou

Shamboubou THE REAL SOUL SHAKER!

Ok, Ok, Ok. I have been one of the biggest DC skeptics yet, but after having some time to think about it here is what I've came to.

Daunte Culpepper is a probowl talent QB, he makes some really good throws and throws a good deep ball. With that also is going to come some INT's that he is going to throw. Deep ball INT's I can handle because its more or less like a punt. As long as he isn't throwing pick 6's like Feeley, the upside of throwing the deep ball outweights the down side.

People who say Culpepper w/out Randy Moss was nothing. Well I think a couple years ago when DC was putting up some huge numbers, Moss was on the sideline injured.

My biggest concern was the fact that I didn't know if his knee would be ready to go by game day. Well after seeing Saban release Gus that pretty much tells me that he is getting word that DC will be ready to go opening day.

Hopefully since DC wants to be here so bad he will assume a big role as an offensive leader that we need. All we need to do is make sure you keep him away from the water, and no "boating". :wink:

People need to accept the fact he is going to be our QB, support him and hopefully he can make us a dominate franchise again.

29. Fortell

Fortell Active Member

Great reply I was just thinking the samething..

30. Bradical

Bradical Starter

That article was one of the worst I've read in a while. This no name showed that he knows nothing about football(Brees turned us down?), and also seemed to have some trouble with grasping a basic understanding of the English language...or else he just didn't feel the need to proof read his work since no one reads about sports on msnbc.com

31. LtDan

LtDan I am a Dan but not a Lt.

That's one idiot. Others have us superbowl bound!

32. Dolfan1034

Dolfan1034 Well-Known Member

Hey it's either Culpep or Brees, and Brees was nothing without his short game, with Tomlinson and Gates, it seems like anywhere someone goes they are nothing without certain people, trust me Daunte will find his people that he is "nothing without" in Miami.

33. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

MSNBC is based in New York, what do you expect them to say about the Fins when they are Jets homers.

34. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

This is silly. I would have that guy take a look at the Culpepper Manifesto thread. That was an amazing read.

35. Van-Island Fins

Van-Island Fins Starter

Personally I would trust Saban and Mueller on this one, also check what the credible experts are saying before making such aN IDIOTIC POST ! :shakeno:

36. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

The ones who are shouting Super Bowl are the idiots. We've been lauded as a Super Bowl teams many times, including 2004 until Ricky retired. Whoever tries to make a Super Bowl prediction in March is a buffoon who should not be listened to or just a casual fan of football who happens have an outlet to voice his opinions.

That said, I'm not sure it's as bad as this article made it out to be. We are an improved team, no doubt. The question is by how much.

(Also, yes, Brees turned us down. He came in on a visit and left because the contract terms we offered were crappy).

37. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

There you go.....

38. Dolfan4life!

Dolfan4life! A True Fan

Right, that's why he didn't sign with the Saints until AFTER we were out of the running by trading for DC.:shakeno:

39. Hostile 17

Hostile 17 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is exactly what happened, according to all reports: the Dolphins 'brain trust' (Saban is as big dip---- as Wanny when it comes to choosing QBs, evidently) got fed up with waiting for Brees to meet their terms. They simply wanted this issue resolved and felt Brees' contemplation was holding up the rest of their free agency pursuits. Why not rush through selecting the most important position on the field, right?

Daunte Culpepper was the second choice, the booby prize, you might say.

Speaking of the main media outlets, from the AP Sports Wire, some fun excerpts:

http://sports.excite.com/news/03142006/v9752.html

"The move marked the end of a winding career path in Minnesota for Culpepper, who went from the team's biggest star and cornerstone to a malcontent that had to be jettisoned in less than a year.

"Culpepper dazzled with his blend of accuracy, scrambling and size, but also made fans' stomachs turn with turnover problems and a highly publicized boat party scandal on Lake Minnetonka."

and..

"Culpepper burst onto the scene in 2000 in his first year as a starter, throwing for nearly 4,000 yards and 33 touchdowns to help lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship game. But that season was washed away with an embarrassing 41-0 loss to the Giants in the Meadowlands.

"Over the next two seasons, Culpepper threw 32 touchdowns and 36 interceptions and also had problems with fumbling that drove fans crazy."

and..

"When Moss was dealt to the Raiders before last season, many thought it would be just what Culpepper needed to take charge of the team.

"But Culpepper struggled mightily, throwing six TDs and 12 interceptions in the Vikings' 2-5 start. He injured his knee against Carolina, and his future with the franchise started to come into question when backup Brad Johnson helped the Vikings to a 7-2 finish."

Nice move, Nick. Nice move.

40. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

I was happy about Gus and Culpepper for the obvious reasons. Sadly enough to say, I thought Gus was a great fallback guy for the start of the season. I am more worried about that than the question marks about Culpepper. I guess the offense isn't that hard to learn afterall, or saban has a good one for us. Gus was 9-6 last year and new the offense well. But it does speak to Saban for sending a clear message that he is bettering this team. Lets hope that he does.

41. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

It's all good, #84 is gonna become our version of Randy Moss.

42. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Once again another media outlet that believes in twisting the facts to fit their own agenda. Culpepper wanted out of Minnesota because he was lied to. The owner reassured him that he would not be traded then tried to trade him behind his back. If you want to call that a malcontent then so be it.

43. hann80

hann80 Scout Team

Let them talk, no matter who we ended up with, you know there were going to be some negativity. Its even here on the message board, I can't understand how you could choose Brees over Duante. Duante is 6'4 260, with the ability to scramble and can make every throw. Brees is 6' 210, not a very strong arm and ge is also a sitting duck.

44. Buffalo Sucks

Buffalo Sucks Ronnie: Find Jake. Follow Jake.

Caution:

One article does not make "the media"

Now maybe, maybe not this was a bad move, but I've seen 6 or 8 positive articles on the trade, so let's not go crying about "the media" being against us or anything just yet, fair?

45. MIAdolphin89

MIAdolphin89 Seasoned Veteran

Go read the "Culpepper Manifesto" thread and all your concerns about him will be zapped.

46. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

If physical stats were all that were important in selecting a QB then we might as well sign Shaq at QB.

47. Huffer

Huffer Loyal Phins Fan

The guy that wrote the article left out a few other small details. Pep also lost his offensive cordinator, his center, went through 3 different running backs before being hurt himself. Yes he had a bad year, but to say he is no good is just plain wrong. What further amuses me in this article is this guy writes as if he can predict the future and tell us that this is a bad move. If this guy has such an innate ability to predict the future why is he a lowly unheard of freelance sports writer? I hear there are 32 nfl teams willing to pay a handsome sum for a great profit such as this guy pretends to be. However the catch is you have to be right and not just saying crap tp get your name out there. The only thing sadder than this guys writing is the fact that some just read it and consider it the real story. It's been crazy on here as of late. I can't believe how many weak minded people can be swayed by a link to a "source" that is nothing more than someone elses opinion. Yes we are all entitled to our opinion, and they shall all be proven right or wrong in time. My opinion is that we upgraded our QB with this trade and made our team better, which is why it was a good move. Time will tell who was right. I got my money on Saban, you can take the freelancer.

48. finsfanrm

finsfanrm Big Baller

Every other reporter from Espn, Nfl Network, cbssportsline all think its a great move who the hell is this ONE GUY!!!
    Stop these stupid threads!!!

49. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

I wish he used a little more facts in his assesment than pop culture references.

50. smope

smope Active Member

i dislike th