The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

Well considering that "Coach Mediocre" (or worse these days) Jeff Fisher whiffed on getting the most out of Goff, Foles and Keenum, might there be any other QBs kicking around who failed in his system?

Last edited:
That’s a losers mentality. Always look to upgrade every position.

I can’t get behind wasting a draft pick that is needed elsewhere on a QB. However, I’d be cool with trading a late round/conditional on a guy like Trever Siemian or similar. Still potential, some league experience, and on the cheap.

Truth is there have been some good QBs that have been “developmental” but the extreme vast majority of playoff QBs come from the first round. We already have a first round draft pick QB on the roster. Let’s work with that one.

Honest question... How many successful quaterbacks have actually been "groomed"? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to draft a guy later on and let sit a couple of years while he learns, but it's the fist time I wonder about success stories...

Im sure others have mentioned Jimmy G, Steve Young, and Aaron Rodgers. But there are several other QB's who had good NFL Careers such as Matt Hassleback, Matt Schuab, Tyrod Taylor, Kirk Cousins, AJ McCaron, Kyle Orton, Dak Prescot, Russell Wilson, Case Keenum, Marc Bulger, Trent Green. So many more to think of, and while a lot of those guys aren't Superbowl HOF QB's they were excellent backups but most of them were starters. So that's why I would like to use at least a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB who can potentially be at least a solid backup in the future. And if Tannehill gets hurt this year or plays poorly, you go for broke on another QB in next years draft because we aren't going to find a QB better than Tannehill in free agency or via trade. It can happen but its very rare (IE Drew Brees and Jimmy G.).

EVERYTHING is a smokescreen right now. EVERYTHING!

While I think that the Dolphins will likely look to add players in the defensive back seven, at TE, and OL early in the draft, NOTHING would surprise me. If a QB they love is there at 11, they will take him.

I really want them to pick up Tanner Lee from Nebraska. He’s my choice to be Tannehills backup. Keep an eye on him at the Senior bowl, he’s has a some accuracy issues but he has the measurements and cannon for an arm to be a good QB and he’s played well against some top teams like Penn State.

EVERYTHING is a smokescreen right now. EVERYTHING!

While I think that the Dolphins will likely look to add players in the defensive back seven, at TE, and OL early in the draft, NOTHING would surprise me. If a QB they love is there at 11, they will take him.
You don't think they'll be looking at DE's?

Ozzy rules!!

You don't think they'll be looking at DE's?

Ozzy rules!!

Well, they always talk about BPA, but they usually wind up drafting "best player at a position of dire need." I'm sure they are looking at DEs, too, yeah. I guess it depends on how disappointed they are with branch.

Here's my take on it. If you draft a QB at 11, he better become the starter sooner than later. So that would mean I can't see Tannehill being the starter long term. You don't waste a pick at number 11 on a QB that will be riding the bench for 5 years. It doesn't make sense.

It’s the most important position in football. If one you believe in is ever on the board when you pick, whatever the round, you should take him. It’d be very unusual to sell them for a defecit if they flash any potential at all.

With injuries, concussion protocol and our offensive line, it’s almost unlikely that we’ll go through a season without a backup QB taking meaningful snaps.

This is why I believe a QB at 11 may actually be in play...

If Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield are there at 11, there will be serious discussion on drafting one of them. I think 2017 taught Gase a lesson.

When Tannehill went down, Gase's plans were toast. He was caught with his pants down. I guarantee he'd rather have a high ceiling prospect to try to salvage the season rather than a career backup with a low ceiling or have to go out fishing for a has-been vet on the street. He needs a good prospect to develop behind Tannehill in case he goes down again or fails to live up to potential in Gase's system. And that guy has to be a top prospect, not some mid-rounder...

If they are in position to get one of those top prospects, he needs to pull the trigger because those opportunities don't come around often. You don't know when you will have the opportunity again, and its likely Gase wouldn't ever have that opportunity again with the Dolphins.

Bingo!

What makes the decision even easier is that the positions outside of QB that would normally be taken in the top 10 are very weak this year (outside of a very few elite prospects)

-Outside of Chubb any DE is a project needing development.
-Fitzpatrick and James are the only 2 DBs that have any business being mentioned anywhere near the top 10.
-The top LBs dont have me sold on their coverage ability.
-No magical WRs I'd consider that high.
-Saquan Barkley will be gone (Not that I'd want a RB anyway, but whatever)
-Less magical TEs than WRs.
-Oline? I'd be shocked if we took the best olineman in the draft, a guard, at 11....but hey, never underestimate the FO.

Seriously, there are very few magical players this year. The value is in the QB position.

Unless we get a GREAT deal to trade down, they are going to take a QB. (Unless one of the unicorns fall, and I can think of 3-4 maybe?)

I think Moore should have tried to get his own gig sooner, it may be a bit late but you never know. He is right though, the time has come to go our separate ways. Take care Matt, wish you nothing but the best.

The time to say goodbye to Moore was 7 years ago.

I pray Rosen and Mayfield is sitting there at eleven, I’m picking up more picks. Those guys can sit for a decade it isn’t going to make them more accurate. I take Luke Falk if he is there later. Doesn’t need to come in and start, and won’t. Let our supposed quarterback guru school him in a new system. The knock on Luke is the system he was in, but it’s like arguing about schedule, it’s what you had. He had been excellent and has the potential, just based on his accuracy, to become elite if he sits behind a guy like Tannehill for a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom