The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

DSt9U7ZUQAAw1H8.jpg
Well played sir!

You didn't give him enough time for his annual December collapse to lose his precious 12th ranked Qb status. Keep holding on to that. We all know on the road what Tannehill is capable of, especially against his division in December.

Dolphins would be fools to bet the farm on Tannehill - a 30 year old, coming off two major knee injuries, out of football for 1.5 years, and not a prototypical fast twitch athlete that can bounce back to normalcy from ACL reconstruction. As soon as Tannehill discovers he's a 1/2 step slower, heck even 1/4 step slower it'll be over for him mentally. Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown. Game suddenly is too fast for him, sitting duck.

They need to draft a self confident 21-22 year old that sees Tannehill as just another guy (a JAG), an obstacle to a rightful place as starter. Gase would slurp up that type of attitude.
Actually, I believe he counted the first 13 games. If you want to play "let's isolate the games," the fact of the matter is over his last 8 games after Gase's system kicked in, his metrics were almost exclusively Top 8 QB level. But even over Tannehill's 13 games, it should be noted he was the 3rd most accurate deep ball passer and 4th best QBR from a clean pocket. Considering in 2016, Dak was 3rd with that studly OL vs The Fins 30th ranked OL, it was pretty damn remarkable.

Now I'm all for drafting a top tier QB and letting him marinade or step in if Tannehill gets reinjured. So we're on the same page there. .. but not because I don't have confidence that if healthy with regained mobility, Tannehill will shake the rust off and then quickly take up where he left off at 7-1

You didn't give him enough time for his annual December collapse to lose his precious 12th ranked Qb status. Keep holding on to that. We all know on the road what Tannehill is capable of, especially against his division in December.

Dolphins would be fools to bet the farm on Tannehill - a 30 year old, coming off two major knee injuries, out of football for 1.5 years, and not a prototypical fast twitch athlete that can bounce back to normalcy from ACL reconstruction. As soon as Tannehill discovers he's a 1/2 step slower, heck even 1/4 step slower it'll be over for him mentally. Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown. Game suddenly is too fast for him, sitting duck.

They need to draft a self confident 21-22 year old that sees Tannehill as just another guy (a JAG), an obstacle to a rightful place as starter. Gase would slurp up that type of attitude.

LOL. Get used to Tannehill being the Dolphins starting QB for another 7 or 8 years.

Actually, I believe he counted the first 13 games. If you want to play "let's isolate the games," the fact of the matter is over his last 8 games after Gase's system kicked in, his metrics were almost exclusively Top 8 QB level. But even over Tannehill's 13 games, it should be noted he was the 3rd most accurate deep ball passer and 4th best QBR from a clean pocket. Considering in 2016, Dak was 3rd with that studly OL vs The Fins 30th ranked OL, it was pretty damn remarkable.

Now I'm all for drafting a top tier QB and letting him marinade or step in if Tannehill gets reinjured. So we're on the same page there. .. but not because I don't have confidence that if healthy with regained mobility, Tannehill will shake the rust off and then quickly take up where he left off at 7-1

100% agree here. If QB is BPA on the Fins boards in the first few rounds? Take him. This is not an “either or” narrative. Tannehill absolutely CAN win with Gase. We’ve seen it. But there’s no reason they can’t prep for the future at the same time.

The moultiple posters saying drafting a QB at #11 would be a waste is mind boggling to me. Did you people not watch the last 20 games? Are you unaware that QB is the most important position in the the NFL? I’m aware we have deficiencies at LB, G, TE, and T, but none of those spots matter if our QB play is mediocre. We are also not one guy away from having an elite group such as the Jags or Vikings have on defense. The realality for Miami is we have no back QB, and we just took a mulligan on ‘17 season due to our lack of a back up. The realality for Miami is our “franchise” qb has never won more than 8 games, he missed the last 20 games, and had major knee surgery. The kids gloves need to come off with Ryan, and there needs to be competition. If he rises to the top excellent, and if he loses out to a QB we draft at #11 then excellent. To have sustained success you need to be great at QB...there is no debating that, it is a fact. We have had sustained mediocrity because we have been mediocre at QB for 17 years.

100% agree here. If QB is BPA on the Fins boards in the first few rounds? Take him. This is not an “either or” narrative. Tannehill absolutely CAN win with Gase. We’ve seen it. But there’s no reason they can’t prep for the future at the same time.

How many times in the last 20 or 30 years has an NFL team, that was convinced that they can win with their current QB (who was in his 7th season or less), drafted a QB in the first round? I can't save for sure that it won't happen this year, but I can say it has not happened yet. Based on that, it is extremely unlikely this year.

The moultiple posters saying drafting a QB at #11 would be a waste is mind boggling to me. Did you people not watch the last 20 games? Are you unaware that QB is the most important position in the the NFL? I’m aware we have deficiencies at LB, G, TE, and T, but none of those spots matter if our QB play is mediocre. We are also not one guy away from having an elite group such as the Jags or Vikings have on defense. The realality for Miami is we have no back QB, and we just took a mulligan on ‘17 season due to our lack of a back up. The realality for Miami is our “franchise” qb has never won more than 8 games, he missed the last 20 games, and had major knee surgery. The kids gloves need to come off with Ryan, and there needs to be competition. If he rises to the top excellent, and if he loses out to a QB we draft at #11 then excellent. To have sustained success you need to be great at QB...there is no debating that, it is a fact. We have had sustained mediocrity because we have been mediocre at QB for 17 years.

Tannehill has not been mediocre. Your entire premise is wrong.

Matt loves south Florida, has made a ton of money and seemed comfortable as a backup. The good news is he's only 33 so it's not like he's over the hill or anything. Good luck to him.
What player doesn't love SoFla? A ton of money? Maybe compared to most people but among the NFL standards, I'd hardly call it a ton. Sure it's been easy money showing up for practice and book work but at 33 I don't think he's going to find many teams if any ready to sign him up as the future of their team. It would have to be a scenario similar to Miami when Ryan went down.

It's truly an asinine mindset for anyone to have an issue with putting a premium resource in the quarterback position, the single most important position in the sport. The position that is tied by far and way to sustained success and competitiveness.

These dudes LOVE mediocrity.

Tannehill has not been mediocre. Your entire premise is wrong.

That's your opinion.

There are few handful of people who cover the league, have been personnel evaluators in the league, and have played in the league, who hold an unfavorable opinion on Ryan Tannehill.

Let's not pretend this is some sort of general consensus. They guy hasn't sniffed a pro bowl or an all-pro selection for a reason.

It's truly an asinine mindset for anyone to have an issue with putting a premium resource in the quarterback position, the single most important position in the sport. The position that is tied by far and way to sustained success and competitiveness.

These dudes LOVE mediocrity.

By your logic, Miami would be selecting the 8th best QB anyway because the following teams all have QB issues and pick ahead of the Dolphins:

Browns - No QB
Giants - Eli is nearly done
Colts - Luck may never throw again
Broncos - No QB
Jets - No QB
Buccaneers - Winston is mediocre
Raiders - Carr has been injured and failed miserably this season

So, do you advocate taking the 8th best QB in the draft?

Welcome to the real world.

That's your opinion.

There are few handful of people who cover the league, have been personnel evaluators in the league, and have played in the league, who hold an unfavorable opinion on Ryan Tannehill.

Let's not pretend this is some sort of general consensus. They guy hasn't sniffed a pro bowl or an all-pro selection for a reason.

The only opinion that counts in Adam Gase's. He's been pretty clear. Get used to it.

By your logic, Miami would be selecting the 8th best QB anyway because the following teams all have QB issues and pick ahead of the Dolphins:

Browns - No QB
Giants - Eli is nearly done
Colts - Luck may never throw again
Broncos - No QB
Jets - No QB
Buccaneers - Winston is mediocre
Raiders - Carr has been injured and failed miserably this season

So, do you advocate taking the 8th best QB in the draft?

Welcome to the real world.

First of all, I'm not deadset on any position in terms of the direction of the draft. All I'm saying is this notion that the Dolphins should not at all put a premium resource in the quarterback position because they have Ryan Friggin Tannehill, who is coming off ACL construction, needs to be put to bed.

If he's the best player available, I have no issues with picking a QB at any pick. I would also know, thats there's a strong possibility that he doesnt play a meaningful down for a long while. I have a feeling that if they do pick a QB in the 1st, and he doesnt beat Tannehill for the starting job, Gase is going to get crucified on these boards by the, I dont like Tannehill crowd...

Back
Top Bottom