The mistake we have been making for 20 years (and are about to make again) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The mistake we have been making for 20 years (and are about to make again)

archer101

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
The problem the Dolphins have had since pretty much the start of the Wannstedt era is that they continue to delude themselves about the quality of their roster and keep trying to build on a base of mediocrity. Particularly on defence, we have a unit that performs OK or even well some of the time, so we decide that we just need 'one of two pieces' to push us over the edge. On offence, we always pretend we are just a QB and a few skill players away.

The best NFL teams are usually those who have been the worst, and have completely cleaned house. The Fins have NEVER done this. Record-wise, we have only had a couple of truly awful seasons (4-12/1-15); the rest of the time we are just average or below. A real clearout creates a new type of mental attitude for a team which we have never had.

Players like Long, Smith, Dansby, Burnett, Incognito, Jerry etc are the key of the problem. We have had guys like them for years - good-ish players but who always play under their ability, ESPECIALLY when you really need them. But they are 'solid' and have good moments, so we leave them in place and try and build a team around them. But you just can't build an ELITE team on a foundation like this. That is why we are always mediocre.

Now, thanks to Ross, we have done it again. The problem with keeping Ireland is not (just) his ability; he is simply not in a position to be realistic about the talent base and spend 3-4 years building it up properly. He is going to blow a bunch of cash and picks on trying to fill up a few holes because he knows his job is always at risk and thinks if we can just crack into the playoffs it will save his skin. We could have easily made a wild card this year with a bit of luck, but what would be the point? We all know that a team built on the foundation we currently have will never be a Superbowl calibre team. And in this case, I would rather they do it properly and take their time.

The chances are that all the old failures will be back next year (except Long, but only because his cap number is just too high, not because Ireland doesn't want him). We will get a few picks, a FA or two, and will be 8-8 or 9-7 next year. Because when you really NEED players to step up (eg at New England) we know that these guys will just fold.

There are some guys we do have on the roster we could build around - RT, Miller, Hartline, Bess, Jones, Wake, Pouncey, maybe 3-4 others (I would keep Bush for leadership). Apart from that, the bulk of the roster has no chance to be Elite.

The shame is that Ireland/Ross aside, this offseason is the perfect time for a reset. We have no dead cap money, a good number of picks and a load of guys whose contracts expire. We have a new coach who has a vision at least of what sort of players he wants that I can get onboard with, even if I am not yet totally sold on the quality of the coaching.

I would happily settle for 4-12 next year as long as we were building a new roster full of young, hungry and SMART players. Instead, we are going ALL-IN to try and push this bunch of mediocrity into a wild card contender who will at best go one-and-done.

I don't care about making the playoffs. I want to see the Fins win a Superbowl. Right now, it is like one of those adventure games you have play where you can't actually win from where you are in the game because you have made too many mistakes so far. We need to go back and start again.

I agree with your premise. It reminds me of patching our stadium. Ireland can't see the flaws and limitations in his own design so he believes all it needs is a piece here and there. An outsider might blow it up.

I will never understand why Dansby and Burnett - two linebakers who could play for pretty much any team are so underrated around here.

Dansby in particular is a stud.

I think a cleaning is what we are in the middle of right now, let's hope it is done with good results!

The problem the Dolphins have had since pretty much the start of the Wannstedt era is that they continue to delude themselves about the quality of their roster and keep trying to build on a base of mediocrity. Particularly on defence, we have a unit that performs OK or even well some of the time, so we decide that we just need 'one of two pieces' to push us over the edge. On offence, we always pretend we are just a QB and a few skill players away.

I see what you're trying to say and this seems truer for them teams that we've had under Ireland. However after the 2005 season, we were merely a good QB away from being a real contender. One can only imagine what this Dolphins team would have been with Brees and Welker over these past several seasons.

I've been saying this for a while now. I believe this roster needs to be completely gutted with about an 80-85% turnover. Thats the only way this team is ever going to become good. Plus our drafting has to get better. No more bums like John Jerry, Jonathan Martin, and Michael Egnew and no more passing on guys like Clay Matthews, JJ Watt and Rob Gronkowski. I understand hindsight is 20/20 but its a GM's job to be able to identify talent. Jeff Ireland has not demonstrated an ability to do this which is why he should have been given his pink slip as far back as 5 months ago. Until the Dolphins are willing to blow it up, they will wallow in mediocrity.

I've been saying this for a while now. I believe this roster needs to be completely gutted with about an 80-85% turnover. Thats the only way this team is ever going to become good. Plus our drafting has to get better. No more bums like John Jerry, Jonathan Martin, and Michael Egnew and no more passing on guys like Clay Matthews, JJ Watt and Rob Gronkowski. I understand hindsight is 20/20 but its a GM's job to be able to identify talent. Jeff Ireland has not demonstrated an ability to do this which is why he should have been given his pink slip as far back as 5 months ago. Until the Dolphins are willing to blow it up, they will wallow in mediocrity.
They also passed on players like Vince wilfork, jimmy graham, Aaron Rogers, dez Bryant cuz his momma was a crackhead, drew brees, Patrick Willis for the ginn family etc i can go on and on

so, you're saying we should only try for elite players? I can't believe no one has thought of this yet...
ok, which ones are they?

The best NFL teams are usually those who have been the worst, and have completely cleaned house. The Fins have NEVER done this. Record-wise, we have only had a couple of truly awful seasons (4-12/1-15); the rest of the time we are just average or below. A real clearout creates a new type of mental attitude for a team which we have never had.

Players like Long, Smith, Dansby, Burnett, Incognito, Jerry etc are the key of the problem. We have had guys like them for years - good-ish players but who always play under their ability, ESPECIALLY when you really need them. But they are 'solid' and have good moments, so we leave them in place and try and build a team around them. But you just can't build an ELITE team on a foundation like this. That is why we are always mediocre.

Now, thanks to Ross, we have done it again. The problem with keeping Ireland is not (just) his ability; he is simply not in a position to be realistic about the talent base and spend 3-4 years building it up properly. He is going to blow a bunch of cash and picks on trying to fill up a few holes because he knows his job is always at risk and thinks if we can just crack into the playoffs it will save his skin. We could have easily made a wild card this year with a bit of luck, but what would be the point? We all know that a team built on the foundation we currently have will never be a Superbowl calibre team. And in this case, I would rather they do it properly and take their time.

The chances are that all the old failures will be back next year (except Long, but only because his cap number is just too high, not because Ireland doesn't want him). We will get a few picks, a FA or two, and will be 8-8 or 9-7 next year. Because when you really NEED players to step up (eg at New England) we know that these guys will just fold.

There are some guys we do have on the roster we could build around - RT, Miller, Hartline, Bess, Jones, Wake, Pouncey, maybe 3-4 others (I would keep Bush for leadership). Apart from that, the bulk of the roster has no chance to be Elite.

The shame is that Ireland/Ross aside, this offseason is the perfect time for a reset. We have no dead cap money, a good number of picks and a load of guys whose contracts expire. We have a new coach who has a vision at least of what sort of players he wants that I can get onboard with, even if I am not yet totally sold on the quality of the coaching.

I would happily settle for 4-12 next year as long as we were building a new roster full of young, hungry and SMART players. Instead, we are going ALL-IN to try and push this bunch of mediocrity into a wild card contender who will at best go one-and-done.

I don't care about making the playoffs. I want to see the Fins win a Superbowl. Right now, it is like one of those adventure games you have play where you can't actually win from where you are in the game because you have made too many mistakes so far. We need to go back and start again.

dude, HOME RUN! straight talk

this is the most fire power we've had in the offseason in a while. our FA's we signed last season felt more like we were looking for potential 1-2 year stop gap players to prep for a big offseason this or next season.

and do you really think we havent tried gutting roster, i googled the 2010 roster, assuming we let free agents walk, which im hoping to resign fasano, bush, hartline...we have 21 players left from that team,

if you want to look at potential starters from tonys last season in 2011 compared to what we are looking at for 2013, the only starting positions that will be the same are bess #2wr, the interior line, cogs, pouncey and jerry.....so 4 offensive starters, oderick, solai, wake, DL all 3 LB'ers, misi, dansby, burnett, and in DB jones (even though he split time with clemons). so 7 d starters. 11 starters will prob be the same in 2 years difference, thats a potential %50 guttage.

so its not like we arent trying to gut the roster, you cant cut everyone at once, its called dead cap space. better to have a player who can fill a spot than the dead cap space and a player that is just a fill in til we can find a replacement a year later. having our trio of linebackers is better than having a trio of LB's with 1/3rd the talent cause we dont have cap space just to gut the team. you can afford to eat one contract but not multiple big ones. even looking at the above lineup, Cogs and Jerry arent BAD players, but they are not guys that are gonna be starting in 2014, maybe not even 2013, they are not zone blocking players. more FA's on offense so itll be easier for ireland to build the offense that philbin wants compared to the defense coyle wants. so maybe next year, make great strides in offensive personel. if the offense plays with a swagger, maybe itll rub off on the defensive starters, lose some of their frustration and play dominate football.

sorry if im not a debbie downer but this roster is gonna be a lot different than sparanos last season, so wouldnt exactly say we havent changed it up

If you are going to gut the roster, the last thing you want, is the guy who built this roster, doing it again.

Back
Top Bottom