The more things change, the more they stay the same. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

FinfanInBuffalo

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Here is a post of mine from before the start of the 2004 season:

1. Marino situation - They brought in Marino to file a newly created job called VP of Football Operations. Did anyone on this site question the fact that we didn't have anyone in that role before the job was created by Marino? Can anyone name the teams that have VPs of Football Operations and tell me who they are? What real impact did Marino's decision really have?

2. Coaches - Yes it has been wierd, but lets compare it to what happens every year to some teams in the NFL. Every year HCs get fired and entirely new staffs and philosophies are brought in. Hell some teams do it every 3 years. Often those given the chance at HC or coordinator are new to the job. Well in Miami, we have a new OC who is getting his first chance. Most of the rest of the coaching staff is the same. The exception is that we have upgraded our WRs coach and brought in a very well respected QBs coach. How can this seem worse that what happens on 5 or 6 teams every year?

3. GM search - They interviewed a bunch of guys and decided to stick with someone they already know. I am happy with the situation. I know Randy Mueller and a few others were popular with some of the fans, but what has Randy Mueller accomplished in his career? Why aren't other teams beating down the door for him? He has been available for a couple of years. I'm optimistic that Rick will be just fine. Quick, when did each of the GMs we considered get the first GM position? Was the team that gave them their chance in disarray?

4. OL - We needed an overhaul and we got one. Now people are complaining? Wade Smith coming back was a nobrainer. Jeno James looks like the real deal. I think McKinney outperformed Ruddy last year. We made the move necessary to get a top RT/RG prospect in the draft. It is hillarious that one year after complaining that we didn't move up in the draft to select an OL prospect ("do whatever it takes" is what we heard over and over), people are complaining that we gave up a 4th round pick one year later to get the guy we wanted. By every analysis that I read, the dropoff in this years offensive tackle prospects was much bigger than last year. The only way the wailing would have been worse is if NE had jumped ahead of us and taken Carey. Can you imagine the outrage?

With the strategy that was used, we got both our future LT and RT. The biggest question on the OL is RG and I believe we have plenty of options to fill the spot. Does anyone actually believe that every team in the league has stars at every OL position? We also have more quality depth and a much younger roster than we have had in years.

5. David Boston - Give the guy a chance. He is already down 10 pounds from last year. He has already participated in more offseason programs that last year. One negative article (that was later retracted) is causing all kinds of concerns. He doesn't need to catch 100 passes to be worth the trade. I think he will be a great addition.

6. Ogunleye - I think he will sign before the start of the season. There is still plenty of time. The worst case scenario is an eventual trade.

7. QB situation - Only time will tell, but I think they have handled it well. I don't dislike Fiedler nearly as much as some other people do. I think Feeley will win the job but I wouldn't get dramatic if he doesn't. Its just hard for me to get all bent out of shape on this topic. The Fins have won too many games in the last four years to me to be too worried. I honestly believe that upgrades on the OL and WR and more versatility in the playbook is enough by itself to improve the offense. Improved play from the QB postion would just add to the mix. Does everybody realize that the Mighty NE Patriots averaged 2.3 pts per game more that the Fins last year? And in 2002 they scored 3 more points that the Fins?

10 years later and we have a new GM, a new OC, blew up the OL, some fans that don't like the QB, and the F'n Patriots still own the division.

Crap......

I still think 2004 was a pretty good year for the Dolphins. We lost a lot of games, but we also rid ourselves of the Wannstache.

Difference is Tannehill is better then Fiedler and Lazor has already proven to me that he will be a good play caller. He creates pitch and catch opportunities for our offense, creates mismatches with motion, neutralizes the pass rush with quick releases and up tempo offense to wear down the defense

Dolphins fans did horrible, annoying things in our past lives.

Isn't that the year that Wayne chose Mueller over Ted Thompson?

I think so? But both Wanny and Saban had final say on personnel, so it's tough for me to blame anyone else for those awful drafts.

It's funny, but I actually think Nick Saban was worse than Cam Cameron. Cam Cameron was an AWFUL coach, but at least he didn't cripple the team long-term with the worst personnel decisions imaginable. Nick Saban's two garbage drafts and terrible quarterback decisions were far more disastrous, IMO.

I think so? But both Wanny and Saban had final say on personnel, so it's tough for me to blame anyone else for those awful drafts.

It's funny, but I actually think Nick Saban was worse than Cam Cameron. Cam Cameron was an AWFUL coach, but at least he didn't cripple the team long-term with the worst personnel decisions imaginable. Nick Saban's two garbage drafts and terrible quarterback decisions were far more disastrous, IMO.
I thought Saban was eclipsed only by the Trifecta when you assess damage done to the franchise. Hell of a college coach. Nothing more.

I thought Saban was eclipsed only by the Trifecta when you assess damage done to the franchise. Hell of a college coach. Nothing more.

The trifecta ****ed up badly by not drafting Matt Ryan (sorry, Vaark), but Saban blew it with Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

Blame the team doctors, though. :lol:

With all due respect to the OP....Wannstedt inherited a playoff team (3 years running) and ran it into the ground...just as he destroyed the Bears...so he gets no respect from me.

Jay Fiedler was a caretaker riding a top 5 defense and solid running game....he would lose games that really mattered.

I like our current situation much better.

Difference is Tannehill is better then Fiedler and Lazor has already proven to me that he will be a good play caller. He creates pitch and catch opportunities for our offense, creates mismatches with motion, neutralizes the pass rush with quick releases and up tempo offense to wear down the defense

The great thing about this considering we get the Patriots week 1, there is still more to this offense Miami has still not shown, so the Pats will not be able to figure out just from pre-season film, or again signing a cut Miami Dolphin, add to that, Miami players are getting more and more used to their up tempo Offense in the Miami sun.

If what happened in the 1st half of game 1 in NE, happens again in Miami, have a feeling they will not be able to come back as easy in the 2nd half, even if the Refs again decide to help out.

Back
Top Bottom