The Most Sensible MEGA Deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Most Sensible MEGA Deal

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
The best trade possible for Surtain and the #2 overall is to Minnesota. Surtain said he might not want to play there, however he can be convinced that they can provide him better money than anyone else, plus the Vikes are set for a SB run with him onboard. I find the 2+Surtain for the 7th, 18th, and E.J. Henderson to be THE perfect trade. Here's a profile of E.J. Henderson before the 2003 nfl draft.

POSITIVES: Forceful, run defending linebacker best making plays in the box. Heady, quickly reads the action and plays discipline football, staying with assignments. Forceful up the field, defeats blocks on his way to the ball carrier and takes opponents out of the action. Explosive filling the gaps then squares into tackles wrapping up. Scrapes well laterally, adequate skills covering the pass in zone and always working hard. Effective on special teams.

NEGATIVES: Stiff, lacks body control and a quick change of direction. Does not show a burst of speed or lateral speed. Limited skill in pass defense.

ANALYSIS: Marginal speed and range pose a problem and limits the number of defensive schemes he'll fit. Best on the inside in a 3-4 alignment or as a two down defender in a 43 defense. Productive at the next level if used properly, otherwise will struggle.

PROJECTION: Mid First Round

cnnsi.com

He would be PERFECT in our 3-4 that we're going to soon be running. I thought he was a steal for the Vikes in the 2nd round, however the Vikes D is not his ideal scheme. They basically have two large LBs like him in Napolean Harris and E.J.

Basically it's E.J. for Surtain, which seems a bit in Minnesota's favor at first however, it simply makes Minnesota far more interested in picking at the #2 overall.

We would take care of the need for one ILB. We could take a RB with the 7th pick overall, and then take whatever player is available at the 18th. Marcus Spears? Shaun Cody? They all sound like options. Talk about building the 3-4 D FAST!!!

It makes perfect sense for Minnesota as they can select a WR at the #2 overall, most probably Braylon Edwards. They'll be absolutely stacked again on offense. On defense they have a good DL with young studs like Williams and Udeze. They have two very good starting cornerbacks, and with their 2nd and 3rd rounder they will fill depth needs on D. PLUS they can still sign a free agent LB if they feel the need to do so.

Only problem is, they probably paid him a somewhat fat signing bonus already, right? If they did, they probably dont want that kind of dead money.

E.J. Henderson?

No they couldn't have, he was a second round pick.

I'd take that trade...but I wonder if the Vikes would.....I think they pretty much decided to let go of Moss and all his distractions, cuz they have some decent picks and feel he is replaceable. :confused:

Jaj said:
E.J. Henderson?

No they couldn't have, he was a second round pick.

Sorry, my fault. I saw the first-round grade on him and figured that's where he went. I wasn't sure exactly where he was drafted.

They could use that #2 for a WR, and snag the top prospect like Edwards or even Williams.

I doubt Williams at the #2 overall, but definitely Braylon.

Jaj said:
I doubt Williams at the #2 overall, but definitely Braylon.

Just commenting that any WR they want would be avaliable.

I think they want EJ Henderson. They just lost Chris Claiborne in free agency, and they grabbed Napolean Harris, and I think they want the LB corp to be Henderson, Harris, and either Dontarrious Thomas or Mike Nattiel. Or they could draft Derrick Johnson at #7 and give themselves a LB corp of Henderson, Harris, and Johnson, which would probably be one of the better LB corps in football. At #17 they could grab Troy Williamson (speed burner) or Mark Clayton (speed and flat out talent), or if they really want the CB help they could take a Carlos Rogers if he's there (hella fast too).

E.J. Henderson and Seau could definitely play well together in the 3-4. E.J. dominated as ILB in college. He'll dominate again in the NFL.

Carlos Rogers won't be available that late with the way corners have gone the past few years. The Vikings were destroyed last year, because they tried to run a fast linebacking scheme with big linebackers like Claibore and Henderson. Nattiel and Thomas with Harris in the middle would make much more sense. Plus Surtain is THE SURE THING.

TOTALLY agree with you, the ONLY sensible mega deal is this one. I have been saying that the Vikes are obvious trading partners for a while, I got a little blasted for it before because "Surtain doesn't want to play there" -- but Surtain wants to get PAID. They have the cap space and the picks.

Surtain does not want to go there, so its mute!

Edit: ooops... meant to say "moot".:)

Jaj said:
The best trade possible for Surtain and the #2 overall is to Minnesota. Surtain said he might not want to play there, however he can be convinced that they can provide him better money than anyone else, plus the Vikes are set for a SB run with him onboard. I find the 2+Surtain for the 7th, 18th, and E.J. Henderson to be THE perfect trade. Here's a profile of E.J. Henderson before the 2003 nfl draft.

POSITIVES: Forceful, run defending linebacker best making plays in the box. Heady, quickly reads the action and plays discipline football, staying with assignments. Forceful up the field, defeats blocks on his way to the ball carrier and takes opponents out of the action. Explosive filling the gaps then squares into tackles wrapping up. Scrapes well laterally, adequate skills covering the pass in zone and always working hard. Effective on special teams.

NEGATIVES: Stiff, lacks body control and a quick change of direction. Does not show a burst of speed or lateral speed. Limited skill in pass defense.

ANALYSIS: Marginal speed and range pose a problem and limits the number of defensive schemes he'll fit. Best on the inside in a 3-4 alignment or as a two down defender in a 43 defense. Productive at the next level if used properly, otherwise will struggle.

PROJECTION: Mid First Round

cnnsi.com

He would be PERFECT in our 3-4 that we're going to soon be running. I thought he was a steal for the Vikes in the 2nd round, however the Vikes D is not his ideal scheme. They basically have two large LBs like him in Napolean Harris and E.J.

Basically it's E.J. for Surtain, which seems a bit in Minnesota's favor at first however, it simply makes Minnesota far more interested in picking at the #2 overall.

We would take care of the need for one ILB. We could take a RB with the 7th pick overall, and then take whatever player is available at the 18th. Marcus Spears? Shaun Cody? They all sound like options. Talk about building the 3-4 D FAST!!!

It makes perfect sense for Minnesota as they can select a WR at the #2 overall, most probably Braylon Edwards. They'll be absolutely stacked again on offense. On defense they have a good DL with young studs like Williams and Udeze. They have two very good starting cornerbacks, and with their 2nd and 3rd rounder they will fill depth needs on D. PLUS they can still sign a free agent LB if they feel the need to do so.

if we got the 18th i'd see if jammal brown fell to us..in which he did i'd grab him

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Surtain does not want to go there, so its mute!

Considering that was a statement nearly a month and a half ago, when Indy looked like the main suitor I don't think you can assume that.

Plus Minny will give Surtain the most money.

Back
Top Bottom