The Most Sensible MEGA Deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jaj, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

The best trade possible for Surtain and the #2 overall is to Minnesota. Surtain said he might not want to play there, however he can be convinced that they can provide him better money than anyone else, plus the Vikes are set for a SB run with him onboard. I find the 2+Surtain for the 7th, 18th, and E.J. Henderson to be THE perfect trade. Here's a profile of E.J. Henderson before the 2003 nfl draft.

POSITIVES: Forceful, run defending linebacker best making plays in the box. Heady, quickly reads the action and plays discipline football, staying with assignments. Forceful up the field, defeats blocks on his way to the ball carrier and takes opponents out of the action. Explosive filling the gaps then squares into tackles wrapping up. Scrapes well laterally, adequate skills covering the pass in zone and always working hard. Effective on special teams.

NEGATIVES: Stiff, lacks body control and a quick change of direction. Does not show a burst of speed or lateral speed. Limited skill in pass defense.

ANALYSIS: Marginal speed and range pose a problem and limits the number of defensive schemes he'll fit. Best on the inside in a 3-4 alignment or as a two down defender in a 43 defense. Productive at the next level if used properly, otherwise will struggle.

PROJECTION: Mid First Round

cnnsi.com

He would be PERFECT in our 3-4 that we're going to soon be running. I thought he was a steal for the Vikes in the 2nd round, however the Vikes D is not his ideal scheme. They basically have two large LBs like him in Napolean Harris and E.J.

Basically it's E.J. for Surtain, which seems a bit in Minnesota's favor at first however, it simply makes Minnesota far more interested in picking at the #2 overall.

We would take care of the need for one ILB. We could take a RB with the 7th pick overall, and then take whatever player is available at the 18th. Marcus Spears? Shaun Cody? They all sound like options. Talk about building the 3-4 D FAST!!!

It makes perfect sense for Minnesota as they can select a WR at the #2 overall, most probably Braylon Edwards. They'll be absolutely stacked again on offense. On defense they have a good DL with young studs like Williams and Udeze. They have two very good starting cornerbacks, and with their 2nd and 3rd rounder they will fill depth needs on D. PLUS they can still sign a free agent LB if they feel the need to do so.

2. infiltrateib

infiltrateib TV Doctor

Only problem is, they probably paid him a somewhat fat signing bonus already, right? If they did, they probably dont want that kind of dead money.

3. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

E.J. Henderson?

No they couldn't have, he was a second round pick.

4. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I'd take that trade...but I wonder if the Vikes would.....I think they pretty much decided to let go of Moss and all his distractions, cuz they have some decent picks and feel he is replaceable. :confused:

5. infiltrateib

infiltrateib TV Doctor

Sorry, my fault. I saw the first-round grade on him and figured that's where he went. I wasn't sure exactly where he was drafted.

6. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

They could use that #2 for a WR, and snag the top prospect like Edwards or even Williams.

7. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

I doubt Williams at the #2 overall, but definitely Braylon.

8. Phinz4Life

Phinz4Life Hall Of Famer

Just commenting that any WR they want would be avaliable.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I think they want EJ Henderson. They just lost Chris Claiborne in free agency, and they grabbed Napolean Harris, and I think they want the LB corp to be Henderson, Harris, and either Dontarrious Thomas or Mike Nattiel. Or they could draft Derrick Johnson at #7 and give themselves a LB corp of Henderson, Harris, and Johnson, which would probably be one of the better LB corps in football. At #17 they could grab Troy Williamson (speed burner) or Mark Clayton (speed and flat out talent), or if they really want the CB help they could take a Carlos Rogers if he's there (hella fast too).

10. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

E.J. Henderson and Seau could definitely play well together in the 3-4. E.J. dominated as ILB in college. He'll dominate again in the NFL.

Carlos Rogers won't be available that late with the way corners have gone the past few years. The Vikings were destroyed last year, because they tried to run a fast linebacking scheme with big linebackers like Claibore and Henderson. Nattiel and Thomas with Harris in the middle would make much more sense. Plus Surtain is THE SURE THING.

11. JBinSD

JBinSD Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

TOTALLY agree with you, the ONLY sensible mega deal is this one. I have been saying that the Vikes are obvious trading partners for a while, I got a little blasted for it before because "Surtain doesn't want to play there" -- but Surtain wants to get PAID. They have the cap space and the picks.

12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 FinHeaven Elite

Surtain does not want to go there, so its mute!

Edit: ooops... meant to say "moot".:)

13. Buddwalk

Buddwalk The Jukebox Hero

if we got the 18th i'd see if jammal brown fell to us..in which he did i'd grab him

14. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Considering that was a statement nearly a month and a half ago, when Indy looked like the main suitor I don't think you can assume that.

Plus Minny will give Surtain the most money.

15. burton87

burton87 Favorite Dolphin = Bill Gramatica

Good first post :up:

16. gunka

gunka Well-Known Member

Nice post and good idea. I'd be very happy if it went down.

17. Samphin

Samphin Dolphins Homer

It would be nice if it happened, but I doubt it does.

18. BeanGreen

BeanGreen Scout Team

I wouldn't be so sure that the Vikes will give PS what he's looking for in terms of money. One of the reasons Moss was so frustrated was because they had so much money under the cap and they weren't spending it. Same reason why I think it was relatively easy to get Linehan, and isn't Tice the lowest paid coach in the league? McCombs is known for being a tightwad. Of course, that may all change if Fowler's bid goes through, but who knows if that will be in time for the draft.

19. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Ready for Henne.

Tice diserves to be the lowest paid coach in the league.

20. BeanGreen

BeanGreen Scout Team

No arguments here...

21. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Then again they shelled out some pretty decent money to get Winfield. Moss had nothing to complain about he was the highest paid WR and Culpepper was very well paid too.

22. BennyVW

BennyVW I'm the Man in the Box

with 30 million in cap space im sure that is there #1 concern.

23. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

It wouldn't even be a problem if Henderson was a 1st round pick, but he wasn't. His contract is like paying the veteran's minimum every year.

24. godfater21

godfater21 A True Fan

I doubt they would do that trade. with there two picks the could probably Draft either williams or clayton at WR and get either Rolle or Pac Man at CB.

25. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Have you realized that Williams and Clayton are not in the same class at (Williams can be argued but most prefer Edwards by far) as Braylon Edwards and Minnesota needs a sure thing at #1 WR again. Rolle and Pac Man will be gone by the 18th overall pick.

Plus neither is as sure a thing as Patrick Surtain. That's why they would do that trade.

26. godfater21

godfater21 A True Fan

Edwards is as sure of a thing as David Terrell was.

I'll bet that Rolle will be there at 18 since teams are questioning his speed now.

plus drafting those players would be cheaper for them than paying surtain and paying a #2 draft pick.

we may be able to get one of those picks but noway they give up both.

27. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Where the hell are you making this bull**** from?

Rolle just ran a very good workout time and is back in the mix for being picked from 7-12 again. Where are you basing your logic from? They have 30 M IN CAP ROOM... What can they possibly need to afford?

Edwards is rated quite a bit higher by most than Williams. If the Vikes want to run a similar offense than they need a guy with great hops and speed like Edwards. That's NOT Williams.

28. godfater21

godfater21 A True Fan

For one i never said williams was better than edwards. i said edwards is not a sure thing. look back at any past draft and you will see there is no sure thing. and yes i know Minn has a sh*t load of cap room. but if they wanted to spend it don't you think they would have signed somebody by now? Samari Rolle? Fred Smoot? Plaxico? they could get all them if they wanted to spend the money?

Also before you come back no i don't think S. Rolle, or Smoot is better than Surtain. but they could sign those players and not give up anything. so the will not give up two 1st round picks and to move up 5 spots in the draft. and they surely won't thow in a promising young talent like E.J. with those picks.

29. finsfan4life

finsfan4life In Dawn We Trust!

I don't think there's any way in the world the Vikings would make this trade. Of course I'd love it if it happened.

30. fint0xicated

fint0xicated My Son, The Future Classic....

Agreed

:D

31. LarryFinFan

LarryFinFan Left So Fla, never the Fins...

I think this would be a reasonable trade and benefit both teams, but the Vikes have a poor defense...both from their DBs and LBs. They lost Claiborne, considered their best LB...The acquired Harris, but this trade would leave them with a hole at LB and force them to take on in the 2nd round of the draft where the LBs are generally a poor group...Or, spend the money to get a LB in FA, but then they'd have to put out bucks for PS and for a LB....