The NEW DOLPHINS WAY. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NEW DOLPHINS WAY.

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
No one knows if these draft picks will work out or not. But what I see is a totally new way of thinking as it relates to how we draft. All of the players picked were chosen to fill specific roles... seems like we have a clear vision as to how the players will be used immediately and in the future. No more drafting a player that did one thing in college (Dion Jordan) hoping he can do something else in the pros. let me explain

1. Harris. Rushed the passer exceptionally well in college.... We will ask him to rush the passer here. Period point blank. He's not good against the run? If that's true... So WHAT! We have other players at the position that are good at that (Williams , Branch) Wake isn't good at stopping the run either but no one complains about having him on the team.

2. McMillian - Great run support LB in college runs a 4.6 tackle machine. We have an immediate need for a strong physical, athletic LB whether it be Middle or OLB is yet to be determined. At the very least he will be the first man up if one of the veterans get injured and most likely he will unseat Misi as the starting OLB

3. Tankersly - Great press cover corner... will be asked to play press coverage here (all of our DB's excel at press coverage).. He probably won't start right away being that we have pretty good CB in place now in Howard, Maxwell and Lippett. BUT if\when one of those guys gets hurt... He'll be the first guy up (assuming the things he excelled at in college he can do well in the pros)

5. Asiata - Physical interior guy in college.... Will be asked to be a tough physical interior guy here. Could start day one

5. Dochaux - Excelled at stopping the run at LSU against SEC teams known for having great running games - Will be asked to stop the run here.. So i see him in the rotation on running downs (assuming he makes the team).. Not good against the pass..... SO WHAT we have guys for that. see below.

6. Taylor - Excelled at rushing the passer from the interior DT position in college - Will be in the rotation on obvious passing downs... Not good against the run.... SO WHAT we have guys for that see above

7. Ford - Outside receiver in college excelled very productive in that role at the college level - We don't have many outside receivers similar to the size of Devante Parker. Parker gets hurt.... and our outside WR position is not ideal. Ford gives us another option (assuming he makes the team)

It seems to me that we're building a team with players that excel at specific roles instead of relying on guys to do everything maybe including some things they don't excel at. Drafting 22nd in the draft.. you're most likely not going to find a guy that excels at every aspect of the position he plays.

Now the key is for the coaching staff to coach these guys up to help them improve AND to find was to get them on the field and not be predictable. Because coaches like Bill B will also know what those guys excel at and are weak at and will attempt to exploit their weaknesses.

Nice write up by the OP. We needed a draft like this one so props to the FO this time.

Ozzy rules!!

People here hate T Baum, but the truth is so far he hasn't given much to dislike. He's had a part in the improvement to our team just as I'm sure he had a part in going after Adam Gase. He's also done a good job of letting football guys like Grier do their job and make solid decisions. He has this organization running like a well oiled machine.

Truthfully , I'm not sure where the hate for Tbaum comes from on here

People here hate T Baum, but the truth is so far he hasn't given much to dislike. He's had a part in the improvement to our team just as I'm sure he had a part in going after Adam Gase. He's also done a good job of letting football guys like Grier do their job and make solid decisions. He has this organization running like a well oiled machine.

I think his days in New York. He's been pretty solid here though i must admit. The only questionable move was the Trade for Caroo but the jury is still out on that.

I think his days in New York. He's been pretty solid here though i must admit. The only questionable move was the Trade for Caroo but the jury is still out on that.

I hated that trade but give him and the FO props for this draft. As far as when you say "the jury's still out"......that trade will never, ever make sense and here's why. In order for it to make any sense, Carroo would have to be a #2 which means we'd have to lose two of our top 3 WR's (Parker,Laundry,Stills) and then here's this......how can we ever know how good Carroo can be unless he gets out on the field? Now the question, who do you take snaps away from to give them to Carroo? IMO, not only that was a bad trade for us but it was bad for Carroo as he might never get a chance to show what he can do as long as he's with our team.

Ozzy rules!!

You are right in that we really don't know yet what we have, but it looks very promising on paper.

One thing Miami has done this offseason is get more physical and that was a must. Harris, Timmons and McDonald in free agency Asiata and McMillan in the draft.

I don't know enough about the defensive tackles the Dolphins drafted, but the scouting reports on both make them sound more like pass rushers. I think Miami saw the penetration Atlanta got inside and wanted to duplicate that.

After all the pieces are assemble on the chess board, then the match ups and strategy come into play.
All of those guys are football players with good to great awareness. With the correct plan and play calling, along with better players, we can win the majority of the plays....and the games

I think sometimes it takes a couple of stops for someone to get it right. Bellichick going from Cleveland to New England as an example. Spielman was awful with Miami, but he's done well as the GM in Minnesota.

Tbaum actually made some great moves with the Jets, moving up to get Revis comes to mind. But, he made some bad ones as well such as trading up for Sanchez.

But, all that matters is what he does in Miami. I was glad that the team was patient in this draft. With all the talent out there, it didn't make sense to make major moves. Going up two spots for Asiata was smart as that pick really locked up this draft and made it all come together IMo.

I see a team working in unison. Instead of the GM trying to bring his type of players and forcing his players onto the coach. I think Gase is the steading piece in this trifecta.

Lol, I think Miami fans just like to complain since we haven't won anything in a while. If Adam Gase builds off of last season, maybe then people will start to realize how vital coaching is in this league. GM's are easy targets of angst, everyone is a know it all, but the truth is without adequate coaching in this league, your team doesn't stand much of a chance. Tannenbaum is blessed to have Adam Gase, and he will maximize our front offices selections. Something we haven't had for a very long time.

To look at the draft afterwards and actually see some semblance of a plan is so much better that we have long been used too. Damn the torpedo's full speed ahead.

I hated that trade but give him and the FO props for this draft. As far as when you say "the jury's still out"......that trade will never, ever make sense and here's why. In order for it to make any sense, Carroo would have to be a #2 which means we'd have to lose two of our top 3 WR's (Parker,Laundry,Stills) and then here's this......how can we ever know how good Carroo can be unless he gets out on the field? Now the question, who do you take snaps away from to give them to Carroo? IMO, not only that was a bad trade for us but it was bad for Carroo as he might never get a chance to show what he can do as long as he's with our team.

Ozzy rules!!

All Valid points but I have to think that going into the draft they had questions at every WR position.. 1. Will Parker get his head right and be able to stay of the field to produce? 2. Will we be able to keep landry. 3. Will stills be any good, or will we be able to keep him at a reasonable price?

They had no idea Stills would play the way he did and that they would be forced to resign him. As a matter of fact.. Him playing so well was another reason why we might not have been able to bring him back. In hindsight... things had to break a certain way (against the odds) for stills to still be here today. 1. He had to play well... 2. He had to agree to take less than he could have gotten elsewhere. It wouldn't look so bad if Stills had left via Free Agency which was seeming like a high possibility at the end of last season. Assuming Caroo is any good which we have no idea of right now.

Yes I agree with though, seeing how everything played out... the trade will probably not end up being a good trade. But at the time with all of the unknowns at the position, I can see how they would make that trade if the player they thought they were getting was an NFL caliber starter.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

You are right in that we really don't know yet what we have, but it looks very promising on paper.

One thing Miami has done this offseason is get more physical and that was a must. Harris, Timmons and McDonald in free agency Asiata and McMillan in the draft.

I don't know enough about the defensive tackles the Dolphins drafted, but the scouting reports on both make them sound more like pass rushers. I think Miami saw the penetration Atlanta got inside and wanted to duplicate that.

The guy from LSU is a run stuffer. The other guy is a pass rusher.

All Valid points but I have to think that going into the draft they had questions at every WR position.. 1. Will Parker get his head right and be able to stay of the field to produce? 2. Will we be able to keep landry. 3. Will stills be any good, or will we be able to keep him at a reasonable price?

They had no idea Stills would play the way he did and that they would be forced to resign him. As a matter of fact.. Him playing so well was another reason why we might not have been able to bring him back. In hindsight... things had to break a certain way (against the odds) for stills to still be here today. 1. He had to play well... 2. He had to agree to take less than he could have gotten elsewhere. It wouldn't look so bad if Stills had left via Free Agency which was seeming like a high possibility at the end of last season. Assuming Caroo is any good which we have no idea of right now.

Yes I agree with though, seeing how everything played out... the trade will probably not end up being a good trade. But at the time with all of the unknowns at the position, I can see how they would make that trade if the player they thought they were getting was an NFL caliber starter.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

The guy from LSU is a run stuffer. The other guy is a pass rusher.

You make some good point too. I think that most of us probably like Carroo. If we had drafted him without giving away so much we'd be ok with it. But that was our strongest position going into the draft and we had lots of holes to fill but at this point it doesn't really matter. It can't be undone and we...specially me have to move on from it. We might still get something out of him. Everyone is one play away from going in after all

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom