The Offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Offense

I'm glad people are finally coming around to the fact that this roster is -not- loaded with talent.

Chicken salad, chicken chips to paraphrase.

Landry's hold would have resulted in an 8 yard gain had he not held...instead of the 20 yard gain. It would have setup 2nd and 2 rather than 1st and 20.

WRs who run deep routes...like Stills and Parker, need an accurate throw or at least something inbounds that they can make a play on...doesn't happen often with Cutler. Couple that with the limited times we throw downfield and you have an ineffective deep passing game, which is what the Dolphins have.

Offensive line has been an issue. Every Dolphins fan knows it. For some reason Gase has ignored it or thought he could schematically solve it and the front office has either ignored it or just flat out been inept at picking offensive lineman in general. Dolphins scouts can't scout O-line...I've pretty much come to that conclusion. It's a long line of mediocre to absolutely horrible offensive lineman....a long line. It would be nice if we could find an offensive line coach that could develop lineman like Alex Gibbs used to do for every team he ever coached for but the Dolphins are not that fortunate and so we have to hope they can draft good O-line, which they've proven inept of doing.

Let's go through the list for the last 11 years shall we?

2007 - 2nd round OC Samson Satele, 4th round OC Drew Mormino
2008 - 1st round (1st overall) OT Jake Long, 4th round OG Shawn Murphy, 6th round Donald Thomas
2009 - 6th round OT Andrew Gardner
2010 - 3rd round OG John Jerry
2011 - 1st round (15th overall) OC Mike Pouncey
2012 - 2nd round OT Jonathan Martin
2013 - 3rd round OG Dallas Thomas
2014 - 1st round (19th overall) OT Ja'Wuan James, 3rd round OT Billy Turner
2015 - 4th round OG Jamil Douglas
2016 - 1st round (13th overall) OT Laremy Tunsil
2017 - 5th round OG Isaac Asiata

That's not a compelling list and it's certainly not a list that makes me think the Dolphins can properly scout and evaluate offensive lineman. Yet the same scouts that have been here since Jake Long was picked are still here.
You're right that they can't draft good O-line guys but then you want them to draft some more? Imo and I've been saying this for a few years now, what they need to do is get O-line in free agency and that way you know exactly what you're getting. Players that have proven in the NFL that they can play instead of hoping that the guy they draft will work out. Use the draft for everything else but free agency for the O-line. Had they done that the last couple of years our O-line would have been fixed already

Ozzy rules!!

You're right that they can't draft good O-line guys but then you want them to draft some more? Imo and I've been saying this for a few years now, what they need to do is get O-line in free agency and that way you know exactly what you're getting. Players that have proven in the NFL that they can play instead of hoping that the guy they draft will work out. Use the draft for everything else but free agency for the O-line. Had they done that the last couple of years our O-line would have been fixed already

Ozzy rules!!
First of all the money involved in getting 5 free agent O-lineman would be too much...second, have you not been paying attention? They have signed free agent O-lineman...what is Bushrod? Ted Larsen, Brandon Albert, etc, etc. They haven't exactly hit in free agency either...the guys doing the evaluations of O-lineman don't know what they're doing...draft or free agency it makes no difference. Fire the front office, from Tannenbaum down. Clean house and get some people in there that know what the freak they're looking at.

That’s just Ja’Wuan trying to gain an advantage vs Khalil Mack. He knew what he was doing there it’s rarely called so until they do call it you keep lining up with your head slightly behind the centers mid section.

I don’t know why you are so bitter though truth. Our season was over August 3rd when tanny went down for the count

See ya in 2018 with hopefully a top 8 pick

Top 6 is probably too rich. Top 12 would be a disappointment and knowing our luck that’s where we will end up
I'm ticked cause this front office is garbage and I'm tired of them saying the offensive line is fine and it's just a few plays here and there that's the problem. I'm tired of them being clueless and their inability to scout an evaluate talent.

I dont care how lofty his stats were, Cutler still played like crap. This guys mechanics are so poor and his placement and delivery are still costing us drives. He cant throw beyond 10 yards. He cant read defenses. He cant anticipate where defenders will be. All conditions have to be perfect for him to make a pass attempt. Cutler sucks.

Landry's hold would have resulted in an 8 yard gain had he not held...instead of the 20 yard gain. It would have setup 2nd and 2 rather than 1st and 20.

WRs who run deep routes...like Stills and Parker, need an accurate throw or at least something inbounds that they can make a play on...doesn't happen often with Cutler. Couple that with the limited times we throw downfield and you have an ineffective deep passing game, which is what the Dolphins have.

Offensive line has been an issue. Every Dolphins fan knows it. For some reason Gase has ignored it or thought he could schematically solve it and the front office has either ignored it or just flat out been inept at picking offensive lineman in general. Dolphins scouts can't scout O-line...I've pretty much come to that conclusion. It's a long line of mediocre to absolutely horrible offensive lineman....a long line. It would be nice if we could find an offensive line coach that could develop lineman like Alex Gibbs used to do for every team he ever coached for but the Dolphins are not that fortunate and so we have to hope they can draft good O-line, which they've proven inept of doing.

Let's go through the list for the last 11 years shall we?

2007 - 2nd round OC Samson Satele, 4th round OC Drew Mormino
2008 - 1st round (1st overall) OT Jake Long, 4th round OG Shawn Murphy, 6th round Donald Thomas
2009 - 6th round OT Andrew Gardner
2010 - 3rd round OG John Jerry
2011 - 1st round (15th overall) OC Mike Pouncey
2012 - 2nd round OT Jonathan Martin
2013 - 3rd round OG Dallas Thomas
2014 - 1st round (19th overall) OT Ja'Wuan James, 3rd round OT Billy Turner
2015 - 4th round OG Jamil Douglas
2016 - 1st round (13th overall) OT Laremy Tunsil
2017 - 5th round OG Isaac Asiata

That's not a compelling list and it's certainly not a list that makes me think the Dolphins can properly scout and evaluate offensive lineman. Yet the same scouts that have been here since Jake Long was picked are still here.
Same scouts? You sure? That explains a lot. How do these losers keep their jobs w this track record?

Like it or not, we are looking at a major rebuild on the offense. Miami needs a foundation draft to build the interior of the offensive line. A starting caliber running back is now near the top of the needs list as is a seam busting tight end.

Depending on what happens with Landry's contract, wide receiver could end up being a need as well. Not many keepers, honestly, on offense.

I think the deep passing game comes down to the offensive line not being able to pass protect well enough to give the quarterback time to throw. That's why all the passes are short IMO.

But, if the Dolphins upgrade significantly on the offensive line that would solve many of the issues. Having Tannehill back will help as well.

Ozzy rules!!
I agree w this. No more linemen w high picks. It's been a disaster. Two exceptions in 27 years - Richmond Webb and Jake Long. Well, Todd Wade and Vernon Carey too but 4 studs in nearly 3 decades? **** that. Pick skill and defensive players and cobble a competent o-line together in FA.

I'm ticked cause this front office is garbage and I'm tired of them saying the offensive line is fine and it's just a few plays here and there that's the problem. I'm tired of them being clueless and their inability to scout an evaluate talent.

What we need is a Brandon scherf... a nasty disposition high level athlete that sets a tone on tbe o line...of course that cost you a top 10 pick

But we could have Dallas oline and the qb play and current rb room wouldn’t get it done consistently.

Defense is playing more mid level at best of late too

I'm glad people are finally coming around to the fact that this roster is -not- loaded with talent.

Chicken salad, chicken chips to paraphrase.

The talent level has been overstated since I joined this site in 2005. But it must be a tendency among Dolphin fans in general because the previous Dolphin forum I occupied in the early 2000s had plenty of fans who annually asserted we were "primed to win the Super Bowl."

Passing offense and passing defense are lousy. Can't be legit with that combo. It screams far away because both need to be fixed. We are currently third from last in YPPA Differential at -1.7. The passer rating differential is so inept that one statistical site rates the Dolphins as dead last in the league in terms of cumulative most significant stats:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/

http://mule.he.net/~budsport/pub/killer.php

BTW, that's the most lopsided I remember in terms of one conference dominating the YPPA Differential category. Top two are AFC but then it's a long string of NFC teams. Virtually none of the touted AFC teams have competent statistical numbers so far this season. Only Pittsburgh.

Screw it maybe this offense is built for 51 passing attempts and just take whatever defenses give you. Still miss JA but I did like our passing game out of the backfield and now we have more talent in the WRs and TEs to focus on and to just dink and dunk to whoever. Our Line sucks and can't hold a rush so you have to either throw it hot or create a new pocket on the move and take a shot to a lot of options.

Brendel needs to be installed at C
Keep Davis at LG
Let Pouncy, Asiata co,pete for RG
Hopefully James can play
Pouncy will not be here 2018 so lets find out of we need a C to go along with needing 2 or 3 or 4 more O lineman

Like it or not, we are looking at a major rebuild on the offense. Miami needs a foundation draft to build the interior of the offensive line. A starting caliber running back is now near the top of the needs list as is a seam busting tight end.

Depending on what happens with Landry's contract, wide receiver could end up being a need as well. Not many keepers, honestly, on offense.

I think the deep passing game comes down to the offensive line not being able to pass protect well enough to give the quarterback time to throw. That's why all the passes are short IMO.

But, if the Dolphins upgrade significantly on the offensive line that would solve many of the issues. Having Tannehill back will help as well.

2 cracked ribs may be contributing also

Brendel needs to be installed at C
Keep Davis at LG
Let Pouncy, Asiata co,pete for RG
Hopefully James can play
Pouncy will not be here 2018 so lets find out of we need a C to go along with needing 2 or 3 or 4 more O lineman

As long as there's a shred of hope for playoffs, Gase won't do it. But, at some point, I'd love to see Larsen, Brendel, Asiata in the middle for a few games. Let's see if there are any starters.

As long as there's a shred of hope for playoffs, Gase won't do it. But, at some point, I'd love to see Larsen, Brendel, Asiata in the middle for a few games. Let's see if there are any starters.
YES
forgot about Larsen

Back
Top Bottom