The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread!

FinsNYanksFan13

Banned on Points
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Monday night, Randy Johnson vs. Barry Zito in Oakland.

I spoke to Newsday's Jon Heyman on my radio show this past Tuesday and he said Randy Johnson looks 20 times better and more comfortable in camp this year then last year. He said his slider is biting like crazy and he expects a huge year from him (and he's been back and fourth from Yankees and Mets camps all spring). Not that his word means that Randy can avoid injury or that he is going to have another CY Young season but it certainly was good to hear, that I know!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Monday night, Randy Johnson vs. Barry Zito in Oakland.

I spoke to Newsday's Jon Heyman on my radio show this past Tuesday and he said Randy Johnson looks 20 times better and more comfortable in camp this year then last year. He said his slider is biting like crazy and he expects a huge year from him (and he's been back and fourth from Yankees and Mets camps all spring). Not that his word means that Randy can avoid injury or that he is going to have another CY Young season but it certainly was good to hear, that I know!

He had a good year last year 17 wins for a guy in his 40's..........what more do ya want! This "myth" that sucked last year is a joke.

1) He came back to the AL where you face killer lineups every game. No more easy NL lineups where you get a free pass every game for the most part. It took time to adjust.

2) The man is in his 40's! He isn't going to be the same pitcher he was in his late 20's or 30's. Father time does catch up.

3) Late in the season and playoffs he was actually pitching at a very high level.

If he gives the Yanks 17-20 wins, that is great and you can't expect anything more. He needs to cut down on giving up the long-ball, but Randy Johnson isn't a concern for the Yanks going into the season.

The BEST thing the Yanks got going for them this year is now they have a guy (Bernie) who can play all 3 outfield positions and play them well. This spring he has played LF and RF like he has been there for 15 years. Which means expect to see Matsui and especially Sheff get a lot of time at the DH spot. Help keep them fresh for Sep/October.

In the past Sierra couldn't play the field a lick and Crosby is a liability with his bat so OF depth was a huge problem. Aside from middle relief which is a crap-shoot in and of itself, the only place where I see the Yanks as being thin is back-up 1B. Because there will be a bunch of games where Joe will want Giambi to DH and have a better glove at 1B. Not to mention numerous games to spell Bernie when Bernie plays the field in previous games. And come mid-season if the pitching is healthy (they have 7 starting pitchers), I wouldn't be shocked to see Pavano moved for someone who can play 1B.

MikeO said:
He had a good year last year 17 wins for a guy in his 40's..........what more do ya want! This "myth" that sucked last year is a joke.

1) He came back to the AL where you face killer lineups every game. No more easy NL lineups where you get a free pass every game for the most part. It took time to adjust.

2) The man is in his 40's! He isn't going to be the same pitcher he was in his late 20's or 30's. Father time does catch up.

3) Late in the season and playoffs he was actually pitching at a very high level.

If he gives the Yanks 17-20 wins, that is great and you can't expect anything more. He needs to cut down on giving up the long-ball, but Randy Johnson isn't a concern for the Yanks going into the season.

Don't play yourself MikeO, Randy Johnson's ERA was in the 4's until the last month of the season or so and he was getting taken deep at a real high pace. The Yankees didn't give him a 32 million dollar contract extension for him to be good, they paid him that to be DOMINANT. Randy Johnson is the least of the Yankees concernes going into the season, I agree but don't act like Yankees fans should be satisfied with what we got from him last year. It's just like they say, the Yankees pay guys to perform in the post-season and with what Randy Johnson did against the Angels in game 3, he robbed us. Randy Johnson was our most consistant starter last year, I agree again but he wasn't the reason why the Yankees won the divison. It was the guys like Wang, Small, and Chacon stepping up, not because of Randy Johnson!

an ERA of around 4.00 in the AL is good!

MikeO said:

are you talking about the fact that the pitcher hits in the NL? Or are you saying that the NL has bad line-ups overall?

Rocky Raccoon said:
are you talking about the fact that the pitcher hits in the NL? Or are you saying that the NL has bad line-ups overall?

The NL has bad lineups overall.

MikeO said:
an ERA of around 4.00 in the AL is good!

I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. I can't see why the Boss and Cashman would give the unit a 2 year 32 million dollar contract extension for a 4 ERA. They gave him that to be dominant, end of story and a 4 ERA is not dominant!

Nice to see my playoff B!t**es(Angels fan here) have started a new thread for this year.:tongue:j/k

Glad BB season is starting,makes waiting for Football a little more tolerable.

Btw please start the season by sweeping the A's for me.:D

PHINATIC13 said:
Btw please start the season by sweeping the A's for me.:D

The A's usually don't roll over and play dead till October. They might win a couple this week!

YANKEES ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR!!!! this could potentialy be an awesome year: yankees 06 champs, heat 06 champs, and most importantly DOLPHINS SB 41 CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. I can't see why the Boss and Cashman would give the unit a 2 year 32 million dollar contract extension for a 4 ERA. They gave him that to be dominant, end of story and a 4 ERA is not dominant!

That I do agree with. But Yankees will make the playoffs and that is when they need him the most, and that is usually when he catches on fire.

Prime Time said:
That I do agree with. But Yankees will make the playoffs and that is when they need him the most, and that is usually when he catches on fire.

Except in the Divisional Series. The guy has been borderline brutal in first round matchups throughout his career.

Back
Top Bottom