The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread! | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread!

FaninPatsyLand said:
:boohoo:

Like every team in the Majors hasn't felt the effects of injuries. And with the age of some of the players on your team, the fact that you're surprised is beyond ridiculous.

take ortiz, nixon, and papelbon out of your lineup and see how your team does

FaninPatsyLand said:
:boohoo:

Like every team in the Majors hasn't felt the effects of injuries. And with the age of some of the players on your team, the fact that you're surprised is beyond ridiculous.

Not that I want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I don't think he was surprised so much as frustrated. That said, the Yankees have had very good luck with injuries, despite a team that's pretty old on balance. So they were probably due, in the big scheme of things.

And laugh this off if you will, but it seems more likely than not that Sheffield used steroids at one point. He presumably no longer does. The whole point of using roids is to allow your body to heal more quickly and more thoroughly, and thus making your body less susceptible to injury. He tore a tendon in his wrist, if I remember the report correctly. That strikes me as the sort of thing that could potentially have been affected by his post-roid body (unlike, say, a broken bone). There's obviously no way to prove that and it is, I admit, a loose connection, but it warrants mention.

DevilElias26 said:

We were without Schilling and Foulke all of last year and still managed to win 95 games while finishing tied for 1st in the AL East.

That's baseball, its a marathon and good teams find ways to win in less than ideal circumstances. Quit your crying.

Not to mention, we aren't exactly the healthiest team in baseball at this point. You don't see posts from any other baseball fans parading around voicing their frustrations at all the injuries that have forced them to throw their "B team" on the field. Just deal with it...

See you on Monday.

DevilElias26 said:

You're forgetting that without Sheffield and Matsui, the Yankees still have 2 Hall of Famers in their line up (Jeter and Arod) and 3 other way above average hitters (Damon, Giambi and Posada) and Cano and Melky are both batting over .300. The Yankees have much more depth in their line up than the Red Sox.

The injuries do hurt the Yankees, no doubt, however they're not crippling/season ending because they can still have enough talent to win ball games. Now if Rivera is out for a long time then that would be potentially crippling, because the bullpen isn't good enough to overcome it (just like the Red Sox if Papelbon went down).

no yankee fan is crying about injuries. but its gonna be talked about in this thread! This is a YANKEE thread!

And the Yanks WILL make a move for a hitter. It isn't a matter of IF its when. Do they do it now. Or do they wait till late July and wait for a team to do a serious money dump and give up a little less. Either way the Yanks are going to add a corner outfiedler before the stretch run.

phunwin said:
Not that I want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I don't think he was surprised so much as frustrated. That said, the Yankees have had very good luck with injuries, despite a team that's pretty old on balance. So they were probably due, in the big scheme of things.

And laugh this off if you will, but it seems more likely than not that Sheffield used steroids at one point. He presumably no longer does. The whole point of using roids is to allow your body to heal more quickly and more thoroughly, and thus making your body less susceptible to injury. He tore a tendon in his wrist, if I remember the report correctly. That strikes me as the sort of thing that could potentially have been affected by his post-roid body (unlike, say, a broken bone). There's obviously no way to prove that and it is, I admit, a loose connection, but it warrants mention.

Sheff had to be off hte roids last year and he was injured last year and bounced back. Probelm is Sheff is almost 40 years old. He has been dinged up EVERY year he has been in NY. This hand injury isn't steroid related. I don't see the connection.

Where are my Farnsworth bashers tonight? 1.2 innings on only 18 pitches and gets the win daddio!

Came in during the 8th and got the team out of the bases loaded jam getting 2 outs with the basses loaded.

I never said the guy was perfect or great. But he is a good pitcher and will do a good job for this team.

Fransworth was great last night, he should have got out of bases loaded w/ 1 out if Cairo doesn't bobble the ball but he still got out w/ the tie and a 1-2-3 9th.

MikeO said:
Sheff had to be off hte roids last year and he was injured last year and bounced back. Probelm is Sheff is almost 40 years old. He has been dinged up EVERY year he has been in NY. This hand injury isn't steroid related. I don't see the connection.

Steroids allow muscles to heal faster and more thoroughly, particularly at the joints. When you work out, you're effectively breaking down muscles so they are rebuilt stronger. In effect, weightlifting leads to many very small muscle tears, after which the muscle is stronger. Steroids allow those small muscle tears to heal faster. Well, this was a LARGE muscle tear. And perhaps if he was still using steroids, it might heal faster, or have been stronger in the first place so the injury would be less severe. That's the connection.

phunwin said:
Steroids allow muscles to heal faster and more thoroughly, particularly at the joints. When you work out, you're effectively breaking down muscles so they are rebuilt stronger. In effect, weightlifting leads to many very small muscle tears, after which the muscle is stronger. Steroids allow those small muscle tears to heal faster. Well, this was a LARGE muscle tear. And perhaps if he was still using steroids, it might heal faster, or have been stronger in the first place so the injury would be less severe. That's the connection.

Here is the connection.....

Sheff is in the final year of his contract. The Yanks have an option for $14 mill they aren't picking up during the season. Sheff is pissed. So, he thinks he's gonna show the Yanks by not playing and taking his sweet time to heal this injury.

F' him. He ain't going to get his $14 mill next year from NY. Why, so NEXT year they can go through this song and dance again?

If the Yanks picked up that option TODAY, he would be out there this afternoon in right field playing. Bottom line.

MikeO said:
Here is the connection.....

Sheff is in the final year of his contract. The Yanks have an option for $14 mill they aren't picking up during the season. Sheff is pissed. So, he thinks he's gonna show the Yanks by not playing and taking his sweet time to heal this injury.

F' him. He ain't going to get his $14 mill next year from NY. Why, so NEXT year they can go through this song and dance again?

If the Yanks picked up that option TODAY, he would be out there this afternoon in right field playing. Bottom line.

dude honestly, you have NO idea what youre talking about. he has a TORN LIGAMENT in his wrist. this isnt some kind of BS injury. hes been asked several times straight up if the contract has anything to do with him not playing, and he has forcefully said no each time, as has brian cashman.

DevilElias26 said:
dude honestly, you have NO idea what youre talking about. he has a TORN LIGAMENT in his wrist. this isnt some kind of BS injury. hes been asked several times straight up if the contract has anything to do with him not playing, and he has forcefully said no each time, as has brian cashman.

what do you want him to say?

Sheff has played these BS games before with other teams. He is doing it again.

MikeO said:
what do you want him to say?

Sheff has played these BS games before with other teams. He is doing it again.

...or the fact that he has a torn ligament in his wrist mayb ehas something to do with him not playing

did you watch his at bats when he tried to come back? you could tell something was wrong

Sheffield is a playah more than a player- just ask the dodgers front office.
Oh and the wrist thing would probably clear up pretty quick if the league would just let him back on the "Juice":D

Back
Top Bottom