The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread! | Page 55 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread!

I also think Arroyo will come back to his usual self after the NL hitters get acquainted with him but I could be wrong. If I am wrong than you could definitely make the AL/NL argument with him. It makes more sense with guys like him and Pavano. Even with Pavano though, he has been plagued with injuries so it's hard to guage.

FiN.in.RI said:
Not for nothing though but Beckett pitched well against AL teams when in the NL even against NY. I don't see it as an AL/NL thing I see it as a mechanics issue regarding our pitching coach and preventing blisters.

Moving to the AL doesn't account for him getting shelled last night, maybe it results in him having a higher overall season ERA of high 3 / 4+, but Beckett's problem, IMO, is deeper than variance in lineup stength. Neither is RJ's for that matter.. He's just realizing now that he can't just overpower batters anymore due to his age, be it in either league.

I think it is an AL/NL thing. The evidence is too overwheleming. Beckett may have pitched well against AL teams when with the Marlins. But on a night in night out basis like now, it's a whole new world.

FiN.in.RI said:
I can't believe it.. Always thought the NY farm system was sheeit.

"Prospects" and "Farm Systems" can't be graded. It's all a crap shoot. I have been preaching this for years. I have been pounding away at this for years. It's like passing out grades for an NFL draft. It's just stupid.

The Yanks farm system IS fine. It HAS been fine. And its no better or worse than any other farm system out there.

FiN.in.RI said:
I also think Arroyo will come back to his usual self after the NL hitters get acquainted with him but I could be wrong. If I am wrong than you could definitely make the AL/NL argument with him. It makes more sense with guys like him and Pavano. Even with Pavano though, he has been plagued with injuries so it's hard to guage.

I also think the Arroyo trade was the worst trade the Red Sox have made in a long long time. He has guts. He is a gutsy pitcher with a "set" (if ya know what I mean). I wouldn't have traded that guy. He has a rubber arm and with injury prone guys like Schilling and Beckett, I wouldn't have moved him.

He may come down to earth (but it may not be till next year), yet I still wouldn't have traded him.

MikeO said:
"Prospects" and "Farm Systems" can't be graded. It's all a crap shoot. I have been preaching this for years. I have been pounding away at this for years. It's like passing out grades for an NFL draft. It's just stupid.

The Yanks farm system IS fine. It HAS been fine. And its no better or worse than any other farm system out there.

Sure its a crap shoot, but to say all farm systems are equal is total garbage.. The Sox farm system was barren of top prospects before Theo arrived ala the Yanks now.. And if all farm systems are no better or worse I would love to hear about how the Angels would move Weaver, Wood, Kotchmen, McPhearson, Aybar, Morales, Santana, and Kendrick for Hughes, Duncan, Calbera etc. Even if the prospects don't turn out, they have value on the MLB market which allows teams to move them for other parts. It will be 10X easier for a team like the Angels to make a deal because they have prospects that GM's are intriqued by.

MikeO said:
I also think the Arroyo trade was the worst trade the Red Sox have made in a long long time. He has guts. He is a gutsy pitcher with a "set" (if ya know what I mean). I wouldn't have traded that guy. He has a rubber arm and with injury prone guys like Schilling and Beckett, I wouldn't have moved him.

He may come down to earth (but it may not be till next year), yet I still wouldn't have traded him.

Right now it is a bad trade. However back when Coco Crisp was hurt and Wily Mo was hitting .300 and helping carry the team offensively it wasn't. This isn't a trade for a year this was a long term trade because Wily Mo is going to be the RFer for the Sox next year. It was a good trade for both teams at the start of the season.

I think no one expected Arroyo to be pitching so well (great for him though I'm always rooting for him). I do think in the 2nd half of this year teams are going to catch up to him ala Clement last year. I hope I'm wrong though, I love the guy.

MikeO said:

You hammer Beckett because he moves from the NL to the AL and his ERA shoots up a run or so, but Arroyo makes the opposite switch and his ERA plummets yet you are talking about him being gutsy, and coming back to earth?

Hypocrite. You can't have it both ways. The NL/AL switch is a considerable factor (in Beckett's case, a negative factor) because he's moving in the tougher direction as opposed to Arroyo (a positive factor). Arroyo didn't get any better, he's still the same old average 4+ ERA AL pitcher that he's always been, its just that his competition is considerably weaker. There's no way in hell Arroyo would have the amount of wins and ERA he currently has if he was in Boston. Stop making it sound like the guy has transformed into an All-World pitcher.

FaninPatsyLand said:
You hammer Beckett because he moves from the NL to the AL and his ERA shoots up a run or so, but Arroyo makes the opposite switch and his ERA plummets yet you are talking about him being gutsy, and coming back to earth?

Hypocrite. You can't have it both ways. The NL/AL switch is a considerable factor (in Beckett's case, a negative factor) because he's moving in the tougher direction as opposed to Arroyo (a positive factor). Arroyo didn't get any better, he's still the same old average 4+ ERA AL pitcher that he's always been, its just that his competition is considerably weaker. There's no way in hell Arroyo would have the amount of wins and ERA he currently has if he was in Boston. Stop making it sound like the guy has transformed into an All-World pitcher.

Thats my whole point. Thanks! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: WE agree!

Why are you upset with me??! We agree. It still doesn't change the fact Boston should have kept Arroyo. I would rather have Bronson over Clement, Wakefield, and Wells.

Arroyo IS the same pitcher but looks all-world in the NL. Opposed to him being average in the AL. You better go back and read what I wrote. Cause Arroyo proves my point that switching to the national league (like Pedro, Clemans, Pettite, Mulder, Hudson...etc) and your numbers IMPROVE. While when you go from NL to AL pitchers stats get worse (with Schilling being hte exception)

no one posted it yet but Sheffield will have surgery next week, and he'll be out until at least September

DevilElias26 said:
no one posted it yet but Sheffield will have surgery next week, and he'll be out until at least September

Good! Fix the problem and hopefully have him ready for the stretch run. Instead of this rehabbing BS and him going half-speed.

MikeO said:
Good! Fix the problem and hopefully have him ready for the stretch run. Instead of this rehabbing BS and him going half-speed.

hopefully it get's fixed and he'll be back to nromal by the end of September.

well i just got back from NY/NJ trip..... i had tickets for the Wed NY/Bos game which was rained out. Then i went to the game on Fri vs the As where Big Unit stunk up the bronx, then heavy rain ensued. I left after an hour only to turn on the radio on the way back to hear Giambi hit a three run homer. They still lost tho, and are gettin killed by the As all series. Also the dbacks are blowin also.....not thrilled with MLB at this moment lol

Back
Top Bottom