The Official Harvey Unga Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Harvey Unga Thread

Lombardi is saying the same thing I have been told about Unga, the Fins have spoken to him on several occassions and are extremely high on him. With Miami possibly losing Ronnie & Ricky next year they could pull the trigger. Preper for the Dolphins to carry 4 running backs again this year if Unga is selected.

Won't be the first time the Tuna drafts a player in the supplemental draft, remember Drew Henson.

i think 3rd is to pricey aswell. we already have 5 talented backs and next years draft is full of good backs, that are better than unga

i think 3rd is to pricey aswell. we already have 5 talented backs and next years draft is full of good backs, that are better than unga
I agree, we have good running backs now and can get new ones in the draft next year. Even though Unga is a good player, but we can do better.

please don't draft this guy unless its a 6th or 7th

Won't be the first time the Tuna drafts a player in the supplemental draft, remember Drew Henson.
Henson was not drafted by the Cowboys, nor in the Supplemental draft.

He was drafted by Houston in the 6th Rd of the 2003 draft.

He was traded to the Cowboys in Mar. of 2004

Unga highlight tape looks nothing special to me, vision is nice but don't think he shows much elusiveness, balance is poor and no breakaway speed. 6th round tops

i don't think a 3rd is too high for a rb...theres gonna be some good ones who will require high draft picks next year...i just think a 3rd is way too high for THIS rb...way too high

It's possible just because if you look at next year's seniors at RB then you don't see a very exciting class. The only guy with a full physical package looks to me to be Brandon Saine and he was just recently rated by the national scouting service the NFL uses for preseason rankings as a UDFA. I think they're nuts but obviously he's not a homerun prospect. The Oklahoma kid looks a little too Reggie Bush-ish to me and some folks question whether the Penn State kid is a little too much one cut and done. I haven't really evaluated the whole class yet and looked at which guys have shown tremendous durability but I know Saine hasn't yet, and if the others haven't then you could have an altogether scary situation where you may lose both Ronnie Brown (free agency) and Ricky Williams (retirement) and to replace them you have to dip into a draft where curiously the juniors decided to stay in school (rookie wage scale). At that point Miami would have to hope Lex Hilliard and/or Pat Cobbs can shoulder a load as one of the two main backs. and if that guy is Cobbs then they have to find someone that can fill his role which they didn't really adequately do a year ago.

I wouldn't forecast a 3rd though. I just don't see this regime going into a draft with zero picks on the second day, even considering their proclivities toward moving down and trading players to acquire more picks.

evan royster looks to me like a guy who fits a zbs system a one cut and get downhill system like denver...

demarco murray i just don't trust to stay healthy...if i'm recalling correctly it seems like that guy stays nicked up too much for my taste and that's in college...

I hadn't thought so before but after looking into it more I could actually see this regime liking Noel Devine. The guy has played in 38 of his last 39 games. He's had an average of 17.2 carries per game the last two years. That will only continue this year and if he stays healthy again then he will have shown the special level of durability that this coaching staff demands. He may not be very big but as I said before this staff doesn't seem to apply rigid size guidelines to the runners that they prefer because they like to have both the ketchup and the mustard, the big bodied guys that pound it up the middle and the darters that gash defenses for those "chunk yards" they always talk about.

If you look closely he's got "the makeup". He holds football camps for kids back home I think three years running. I don't remember him getting into serious trouble, certainly not anything that affected his game eligibility. He's going to be a college graduate which is a big Parcells thing. He shocked everyone by deciding to stay in school for his senior year even after he'd just played 38 games and had 520 carries for 3,381 yards and 23 TDs, because he was committed to working hard and trying to win a championship. He's a leader on the team.

They would view Noel as a return guy, a part time running back, the guy they can send out on pass routes, etc. People may think that their supposedly rigid size requirements would knock him out but they do studies to see which position those size requirements mean a lot for and which positions they don't, and to me with the list of running backs and offensive players I've seen them be interested in over the years, I think they would have no problem adding one of those smaller, speedier guys if he showed them the right level of durability and makeup...which to date, Noel Devine has.

And if you have a Noel Devine you could pair him with a Harvey Unga for a thunder and lightning type approach, and you have two guys that you can generally count on to stay healthy and durable.

It's possible just because if you look at next year's seniors at RB then you don't see a very exciting class. The only guy with a full physical package looks to me to be Brandon Saine and he was just recently rated by the national scouting service the NFL uses for preseason rankings as a UDFA. I think they're nuts but obviously he's not a homerun prospect. The Oklahoma kid looks a little too Reggie Bush-ish to me and some folks question whether the Penn State kid is a little too much one cut and done. I haven't really evaluated the whole class yet and looked at which guys have shown tremendous durability but I know Saine hasn't yet, and if the others haven't then you could have an altogether scary situation where you may lose both Ronnie Brown (free agency) and Ricky Williams (retirement) and to replace them you have to dip into a draft where curiously the juniors decided to stay in school (rookie wage scale). At that point Miami would have to hope Lex Hilliard and/or Pat Cobbs can shoulder a load as one of the two main backs. and if that guy is Cobbs then they have to find someone that can fill his role which they didn't really adequately do a year ago.

I wouldn't forecast a 3rd though. I just don't see this regime going into a draft with zero picks on the second day, even considering their proclivities toward moving down and trading players to acquire more picks.

I played Royster(Penn State RB) in high school. He is one cut and done, but also has the ability to cut back and change it up. But most of the time its one cut and done. I'm not sure if he's changed or not, I haven't watched that many PSU games.

I hadn't thought so before but after looking into it more I could actually see this regime liking Noel Devine. The guy has played in 38 of his last 39 games. He's had an average of 17.2 carries per game the last two years. That will only continue this year and if he stays healthy again then he will have shown the special level of durability that this coaching staff demands. He may not be very big but as I said before this staff doesn't seem to apply rigid size guidelines to the runners that they prefer because they like to have both the ketchup and the mustard, the big bodied guys that pound it up the middle and the darters that gash defenses for those "chunk yards" they always talk about.

If you look closely he's got "the makeup". He holds football camps for kids back home I think three years running. I don't remember him getting into serious trouble, certainly not anything that affected his game eligibility. He's going to be a college graduate which is a big Parcells thing. He shocked everyone by deciding to stay in school for his senior year even after he'd just played 38 games and had 520 carries for 3,381 yards and 23 TDs, because he was committed to working hard and trying to win a championship. He's a leader on the team.

They would view Noel as a return guy, a part time running back, the guy they can send out on pass routes, etc. People may think that their supposedly rigid size requirements would knock him out but they do studies to see which position those size requirements mean a lot for and which positions they don't, and to me with the list of running backs and offensive players I've seen them be interested in over the years, I think they would have no problem adding one of those smaller, speedier guys if he showed them the right level of durability and makeup...which to date, Noel Devine has.

And if you have a Noel Devine you could pair him with a Harvey Unga for a thunder and lightning type approach, and you have two guys that you can generally count on to stay healthy and durable.

Devine is a beast. Before I transferred out of University of Pittsburgh, I watched him live a bunch of times. That man has talent.

Back
Top Bottom