The Official Harvey Unga Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Harvey Unga Thread

i could see the franchise tag in play as well...provided he stays healthy

We have no idea what the new CBA will look like and whether there will even be a franchise tag. They're talking about 18 game seasons (which will only put even more emphasis on durability), they're talking expanded rosters, they're talking rookie wage scales, they're talking about HGH tests (the CFL has adopted a blood test), they're talking about doing away with franchise tags, the NFLPA wants rookie contracts maxed out at 3 years (NFL is rejecting that one). All kinds of issues on the table.

But overall no I don't see Ronnie here again in 2011 on a franchise tag almost no matter what he does this year.

We have no idea what the new CBA will look like and whether there will even be a franchise tag. They're talking about 18 game seasons (which will only put even more emphasis on durability), they're talking expanded rosters, they're talking rookie wage scales, they're talking about HGH tests (the CFL has adopted a blood test), they're talking about doing away with franchise tags, the NFLPA wants rookie contracts maxed out at 3 years (NFL is rejecting that one). All kinds of issues on the table.

But overall no I don't see Ronnie here again in 2011 on a franchise tag almost no matter what he does this year.

Gotta disagree with you on that one CK, if Brown has a good season and there is a Franchise tag I think he gets it. Remember Ronnie is not only our starting RB, the guy is Miami's triggerman in the WC, a position that not Ricky nor Pat White have proven to be effective at.

so lets just say he stays healthy and the new cba pays a rb on a franchise tag (again...assuming there is still a franchise tag) somewhere in the $7 mil range for 1 year...

you don't think it would be worth keeping him 1 more year under that #??? or at least tagging him and seeing what he could bring in trade...

it's a tough one for me...and i don't know what else we have coming up for free agency next year who could warrant it more...

i personally hope we use the wildcat a whole lot less this year...i think we have the horses now where we can play in the base and put points on the board...i just think we kill momentum too much with the cat sometimes and teams are much more prepared for it now...

b marshall imo means less wildcat to me...more running room for the rbs more open field area for the te's over the middle etc...

less wildcat please...

He seems like a good player, but a 3rd is a bit pricey for me.

Unga was BYU's best player last yr. It was like watching Mike Alstott in a Run & Shoot who was not used enough.

The Cougars thought they were BYU of the Lavell Edwards era or the St Louis Rams of earlier this decade.

I honestly don't see HU working well in Miami's scheme. The Saints or dare I say New England would be ideal.

I hadn't thought so before but after looking into it more I could actually see this regime liking Noel Devine. The guy has played in 38 of his last 39 games. He's had an average of 17.2 carries per game the last two years. That will only continue this year and if he stays healthy again then he will have shown the special level of durability that this coaching staff demands. He may not be very big but as I said before this staff doesn't seem to apply rigid size guidelines to the runners that they prefer because they like to have both the ketchup and the mustard, the big bodied guys that pound it up the middle and the darters that gash defenses for those "chunk yards" they always talk about.

If you look closely he's got "the makeup". He holds football camps for kids back home I think three years running. I don't remember him getting into serious trouble, certainly not anything that affected his game eligibility. He's going to be a college graduate which is a big Parcells thing. He shocked everyone by deciding to stay in school for his senior year even after he'd just played 38 games and had 520 carries for 3,381 yards and 23 TDs, because he was committed to working hard and trying to win a championship. He's a leader on the team.

They would view Noel as a return guy, a part time running back, the guy they can send out on pass routes, etc. People may think that their supposedly rigid size requirements would knock him out but they do studies to see which position those size requirements mean a lot for and which positions they don't, and to me with the list of running backs and offensive players I've seen them be interested in over the years, I think they would have no problem adding one of those smaller, speedier guys if he showed them the right level of durability and makeup...which to date, Noel Devine has.

And if you have a Noel Devine you could pair him with a Harvey Unga for a thunder and lightning type approach, and you have two guys that you can generally count on to stay healthy and durable.

Just to add a further thought, DAVE MEGGETT sort of defined the present-day "change-of-pace HB", while playing for PARCELLS' NY GIANTS. At that time, JOE MORRIS (5'8", 207 out of Syracuse) was the "featured back" and was absolutely capable of running inside. On MNF, JOHN MADDEN described him as "short, not small". What are DEVINE's vital statistics, if any of you know?

i personally hope we use the wildcat a whole lot less this year...i think we have the horses now where we can play in the base and put points on the board...i just think we kill momentum too much with the cat sometimes and teams are much more prepared for it now...

b marshall imo means less wildcat to me...more running room for the rbs more open field area for the te's over the middle etc...

less wildcat please...

The 'cat will IMO be used less. However, a hybrid could be used where you can run a traditional offebse or the WC out of the same formation.

Imagine... Henne & Ronnie about 4 to 5 yds deep behind Center and next to each other. Marshall would be where Penny was in '08.

The line would be unbalanced to the right. On the left side, Hartline would be on the LOS and Ricky in the slot to run the jet sweep.

the way i look at it is in reviewing b marshalls games last year in denver he caught the ball a ton within 5 yards of the los or even behind the los etc and i think i'd rather get him involved in the short passing game and on reverses etc out of the base than use the wildcat as much as we did last year...i mean he's essentially a rb on the perimeter with the ball in his hands...breaks tackles like crazy...

i do think though that if we did use the cat some marshall would be a great downfield and crackback blocker and we could have some huge advantages throwing the ball to him down the field...provided someone can deliver a pass

Harvey Unga says he is being looked at as a running back by teams

Unga shares teams are looking at him as a RB, he's studied @SJ39 and would consider it an honor to be in same backfield

www.twitter.com/StullySTL

At 5'11 and 244lbs, Unga has the size to move to fullback, however, it's expected that most teams will keep him at running back.

"Most of them have been telling me I'm going to be playing running back," said Unga.

"I can be the thrid down back--and that can 3rd and short or 3rd and long, they think it'd be great to have a big guy like me even on a 3rd and long play where if they need to throw me the ball they know I'll catch it and make the best of it. There's a lot of different things I believe teams will be able to use me for."

Unga caught 92 passes over his last three seasons with the Cougars.

St. Louis was one of 20 teams in attendance for Harvey's workout last week.

And while it's clear the Rams have some interest, any back that is brought in will be on the depth chart behind Steven Jackson.

That's no issue for Unga.

http://www.101espn.com/post/52504_unga_already_learning_from_jackson

I don't know where to post this, but the Fins have been rumored to be one of four teams to have serious interest in Unga and if drafted it seems he will come to play running back. I personally have been told Miami is seriously interested and Ireland has met with Unga several times, but there is no way in knowing if Miami will draft him or not. Good prospect none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lombardi is saying the same thing I have been told about Unga, the Fins have spoken to him on several occassions and are extremely high on him. With Miami possibly losing Ronnie & Ricky next year they could pull the trigger. Preper for the Dolphins to carry 4 running backs again this year if Unga is selected.

Won't be the first time the Tuna drafts a player in the supplemental draft, remember Drew Henson.
I sure hope not... A 4.7? Hell never get passed the LOS

Well done on the reporting.

Yeah I wouldn't expect him to be moved to FB full time. Maybe some sort of F-Back role. Hell even Pat Cobbs has come out on the wing and blocked, and he's barely over 200 lbs.

Just to recap what I've been saying about Harvey Unga in case this turns into the Harvey Unga Thread until Thursday's Supplemental Draft, Miami's attraction to him has to do with his having played in 38 of his last 39 games at BYU, and his having averaged 20.9 touches per game over that time period.

To the Miami Dolphins, who place an emphasis on durability, this is an extraordinary show of durability and ability to play through minor nicks and injuries, and just recently he may have put the exclamation point on that ability of his by running between a 4.62 and 4.65 at 244 lbs, and jumping 35" vertically only two weeks after spraining his ankle while training for this Pro Day. Minor nicks and twists, sprains, pulled hamstrings, etc...they happen. Which players play through them? Which players avoid contact injuries?

Remember, the 18 game season is looming on the horizon. It's a lot like the rookie wage scale in that both the NFL and the NFLPA have reasons to want that to happen. Some are speculating that the 18 game season is the carrot that will get both sides talking enough to get this CBA ironed out in time to prevent a lockout. When the 18 game season happens, durability is going to become a bigger going concern. Also, rosters will expand. The speculation is that the practice squad will be no more, they'll be absorbed as full time players. Harvey Unga's excellent show of durability, as well as his versatility, could go a long way in getting him drafted by a team that is thinking ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a fan of the 18 game system?

Back
Top Bottom