The official official BOXING THREAD!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FinsNYanksFan13, Apr 23, 2007.

1. FinsNYanksFan13

FinsNYanksFan13 Banned on Points

Alright I know myself along with many others have tried to make a boxing thread but this one is sticking if I have to post stories and write posts myself. A huge summer of boxing is on the horizon. Less then 2 weeks to the fight that will shatter PPV records and will be one of the most anticipated fights in boxing since Tyson-Lewis. I love the HBO 24/7 documentary and I really can't wait for this fight (I'm on Team Mayweather's side). Cotto-Judah, Bernard-Winky, Taylor-Spinks, Miranda-Pavlik, Hatton-Castillo, I mean it's really shaping up to be a great summer of boxing. All my boxing brothers, let's band together and keep this thread alive!

2. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

De La Hoyaaaaaaa

3. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Is gonna get wrecked!

4. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

LOOL!!! You never know

5. LightsOut

LightsOut Seasoned Veteran

"Kelly Pavlik is a very unlucky guy. I had a goal after I saw the horrible performance that Jermain Taylor gave when he undeservingly took the belt from Bernard Hopkins. My goal was to get in the ring with Taylor and show him how a true champion fights. I spent a lot of money flying to Las Vegas, getting a room and going to this fight. It was a waste of my money and I want a refund. I will pick Jermain up and shake the change out of his pockets if I need to. Now Pavlik is the last man standing in front of me before I have this shot. Nothing is going to stop me. When I step into the ring I will turn into a monster and destroy him. I have never been so motivated or trained so hard for a fight. I will not stop my attack until Kelly Pavlik is laying on the ground for good. If he is stupid enough to get up, he will get hurt badly."

"After I knock out Pavlik it will be my turn to face Taylor. He just better hope I take my gloves off and leave the ring before he steps in or I may be the first boxer in history to get two KO's in the same night."

WAR Miranda!

can't wait for this fight.

6. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

lol, what happend to this? i made a official boxing thread a loooooong time ago, just cant stick. cuz either theres nothing going on and when a fight comes up, everyone forgets about the thread and makes a single fight thread...

Jermain Taylor vs. Cory Spinks looks like the next fight coming up unless i missed someone, or a up and comer....

cant wait...but spinks has no shot IMO.

7. GoBills24

GoBills24 Fistfull of Steel...

I haven't paid much attention since Mesi was banned from the sport.

But Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko (sp) are my favorite boxers.

8. FinsNYanksFan13

Well you can expect boxing being quiet this weekend after last weekends huge even (although HBO is showing the DLH-Mayweather fight again special commentary after). Even Friday Night Fights is an average card this week. However next week is a great week for boxing. On Wednesday you got Montell Griffen and Glen Johnson headlining Wednesday Night Fights with Joel Julio on the undercard. Friday Night Fights is being headlined by John Duddy and Stevie Johnston is also fighting that night (not televised and not from the same place the Duddy fight is going on). Then you have the Spinks and Taylor fight but the undercard of that card will steal the show with Pavlik and Miranda going toe to toe with the winner the #1 contender to meet Jermain. Baldomier and Vernon Forrest are also fighting on the undercard but HBO won't show the fight, they'll probably only show highlights. Pretty good week of boxing if you ask me and I will make sure I am home to see every fight. I wish HBO would have made it a tripleheader though. I'd like to see Baldy and Vernon go at it!

9. FinsNYanksFan13

Actually Mesi has been active and is fighting again June 2nd. He hasn't fought anyone special but he's fought 4 or 5 times since the ban was revoked!

10. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

I'm really lookin forward to the Pavlik/Miranda fight as well. I think Miranda will expose him. Of course the Zab/Cotto and Winky/X fights should be fun

11. King Felix

King Felix live it up have no worries

any of you guys watchin contender usa vs uk?

12. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

13. FinsNYanksFan13

I would have if the results weren't out already but with the results out, no sense wasting my time when the NHL and NBA are in the playoffs and I watch the Yankees usually at night as well!

14. King Felix

the results are out?

would you mind posting them?

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Just found this thread. Nice!

16. DolFan31

DolFan31 aka FinSane

Well what other fight do you look forward to now in days?

The only fights other the rare big ones like the DLH/Mayweather fight that are worth watching at the Latino fighters. Corrales was a good fighter(before his recent death), along with Luis Castillo, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Fernando Vargas, ect.

17. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Sounds like you stopped following boxing about three or four years ago if you think those are the guys to watch. Manny Pacquiao is probably the most "exciting" fighter going. The middle weight division is looking good right now and across the pond you have 2 undefeated fighters in Calzaghe and Hatton that will have very big international fights coming up.

Also, as previously mentioned, there are some VERY nice match ups coming up this summer as well.

18. unluckyluciano

So whats next on the agenda ? (fight wise :D)

19. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

The next fight night that will showcase the next generation of boxers is May 19 when middleweight champ Jermain Taylor will fight Cory Spinks. Taylor is arguably the sports next superstar. He has no losses and only one draw with Winky Wright. He's an incredible athlete but he really needs a good showing. His last four fight he is 3-0-1 in but he hasn't been overly impressive. Spinks....eh

But the undercard should be really great....

You have another middleweight fight when undefeated Kelly Pavlik takes on one loss Edison Miranda. This should be a REALLY good fight. Miranda is a beast, with his only loss coming to Arthur Abraham (alot of people think AA is the best middleweight in the world). Pavlik is a very skilled lanky fighter. Should make for a very intereasting fight.

Also on the undercard is 17-0 welterweight (147) Andre Berto. This guy is gonna be special. He has ALL the tools and I could easily see him working his way up in weight and doing something great for the sport.

So that's May 19 on HBO

20. LightsOut

21. Quelonio

Quelonio El rey de la Pachacha

Wasn't Pacquiao going to fight Marquez soon? I think I heard that, and it really got me hyped.

By the way they are making a movie on the greatest mexican boxer ever JC Chavez that I am hyped for.

22. LightsOut

pacquaio may be fighting edwin valero next. 22-0 22 ko's. 19 ko's in the 1st round. that fight will be crazy.

23. Quelonio

I like when Manny fights mexican boxers, he always beats the crap out of them, but they are always great fights.

24. LightsOut

good heavyweight fight on espn 2 right now. kelvin davis vs. terry smith.

25. DolFan31

DolFan31 aka FinSane

I like pacquiano, Ive seen a few fights of his. I think Taylor is overrated though, he fights chumps. Corey spinks is ok, but Ive only seem him once. Hopefully the talent level improves because boxing is nearing extinction IMO.

26. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Da Dalphins

:confused:

hopkins is a chump?

27. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Winky Wright is a chump? He's 27 years old and he has taken over the middleweight division including beating the 20 time defending champ.....TWICE!!! Seriously man I think you are talkin a little out of turn. You won't find any boxing fan anywhere who will say Taylor "fights chumps"

28. King Felix

Juan De la Rosa (17-1-1) vs. Mikel Williams (7-18-4)

any1 know the results of that fight?

juan de la rosa is my favorite boxer....its hard to find info on matches though,

whats some good sites?

29. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

www.boxrec.com will handle the job. for a good board check www.the13thround.com

30. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Talk of a Vargas/Mayorga fight. I can just imagine the brain hemorrhaging in that one

31. unluckyluciano

Haha for what? To see who hates De La Hoya the most?

32. GoBills24

GoBills24 Fistfull of Steel...

Oh I know he's been fighting...I'm just saying that's when I lost interest. I'll be regaining it now that Mesi is back.

I saw one of his fights (quick KO) in a hotel resort in Virginia. He looked a bit out of shape, and sluggish, but still destroyed the opposition. Can't remember his name for the life of me.

33. FinsNYanksFan13

Your completely wrong about Jermain. Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopkins twice and then right after went and fought Winky. He deserves a few gimme fights against Ouma and Spinks after doing that. Come to think of it, the only reason people are considering those gimme fights is because they moved up in weight to fight Taylor. Other then that both of those guys are worthy opponents (especially Ouma) and well accomplished fighters whether you like their styles or not. People need to give Taylor his props. He's fought some tough competition for being so young in age. Even before he beat Bernard he was taking on some tough competition for being at such a young age. William Joppy and Raul Marquez are pretty stiff competition to put a 25 year old kid from Arkansas in with. There not world beaters but their very respectable for a prospect (which is what Taylor was at the time) to fight at the age Taylor did. You don't see a lot of prospects in the game right now stepping up in competition. A lot of promoters are scared to put their future meal tickets in the ring with anyone until they've had plenty of ring experience (30+ pro fights). Not Jermain, he took a lot of risks to get where he is right now and he is where he is right now because those risks paid off. Jermain is serious and is going to be making noise for years to come. I hope he's the one to shut up Calzaghe. Even though I am not the biggest Taylor fan I can't stand Calzaghe and hope Taylor lays him out!

By the way, I am not on the Taylor bandwagon, I'm just giving him props where it's deserved. I scored the Wright-Taylor fight for Winky but I had it so close (a 1 point differential) that I couldn't complain with the fight being called a draw!

34. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

I love JT and I had it the same score

35. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Pavlik/Miranda predictions!!!!!!!!!!!

I like PANTERA: KO IN THE 5TH!!

36. unluckyluciano

MIRANDA hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll do one better 4th.

37. Quelonio

Miranda in the 6th...

38. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

War Pantera!!!

Long Live The Sweet Science!!!.

39. FinsNYanksFan13

Taylor KO's Spinks in the 10th!

Pavlik KO's Miranda in the 7th!

I'm really torn on the Miranda-Pavlik fight because I like both fighters so since I don't have a rooting interest in the fight (other then loving boxing and loving great match-ups like this), I figured I would go out on a limb and pick Pavlik since I know Miranda is the obvious favorite!

40. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

PAVLIK v. MIRANDA= WOW!!!!!!!!

Through three rounds FOY candidate!!!

Pavlik whoopin his ***!!

41. FinsNYanksFan13

Anyone not watching the Miranda-Pavlik fight right now is missing a dandy. It's only the 4th round right now, do yourself a favor and put on HBO if your not watching it right now. Great fight so far!

42. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!

Pavlik handin it to him!!!

43. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

KELLY PAVLIK IS THE TRUTH!!!

Wow! Unreal! Miranda talked so big yesterday about FIGHTING TAYLOR. That bummed me out. Pavlik DOMINATED!! Yanks13 YOU CALLED IT DEAD ON!!!

44. Muck

Muck Now completely imaginary

Pavlik annihilated Miranda. You could tell in the first round that Miranda would need a freak shot to beat this guy.

Miranda sure can take a punch, as can Pavlik.

Miranda's right eye is almost completely shut. The left eye isn't far behind.

Pavlik is now the #1 contender and should get that shot at Taylor.

Miranda disrespected him by focusing so much on Taylor in the PC, and perhaps in the weeks leading up.

FOTY in the ones I've seen. Nothing but bombs from the opening bell. 150+ punches per round. Almost all power shots.

45. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

It would be FOTY except it was so one sided!!

46. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Yanks13 callin it dead on!!

I'm puttin money on JT KO in the 10th haha

47. Muck

Big talk from Taylor. IMO he didn't even beat Wright.

OT: I always get worried when you see a guy in that kind of shape (Miranda) taking bombs like that. He got tattoo'd for 6 rounds, and then took two big shots on the knockdowns.

48. Muck

Dang, still nobody in the arena.

Just get in the ring Spinks.

49. Martel

Martel Perennial All-Pro

Yeah Spinks takin his sweet *** time right. They could have stopped the last fight a round earlier too. Big loss for Miranda, a MAJOR setback

50. WestCKoastiN

WestCKoastiN Doogie Howser