The only real issue coming up this season may be our expectations and reality!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Reality and our expectations as fans may not meet at the necessary point this year. I am lowering my expectations, as a coping mechanism, and anything above those expectations will be a nice surprise. I expect issues with a new coaching staff/communication, a new system, and team chemistry to be as much an issue as Feeley or Williams. It just makes common sense that such adjustments will make it difficult for this team to perform much better than last year. Maybe 6 to 8 wins. Anything above that would be nice fantasy. I have hope, but tempered with reality.

Lee2000 Blinking Lights And Other Revelations

p.s., for those of you who do not want someone to speak all-inclusive I will re-phrase my title; my expectations and reality versus ours ....

2. painnotpleasure

painnotpleasure Hall Of Famer

I've been trying to be as realistic as possible. I'm thinking it is realistic to be predicting that we'll be in the range of 7-9 wins this season. That's what I've been saying all along. And I agree anything above that would be a nice ADDED BONUS. I think I've done a good job not setting myself up with high expectations incase there's a downfall.

3. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

There's just enough question marks to temper my enthusiasium, but enough talent to keep me glue to the seat for games..it should be an interesting year. The places I expect to have break downs won't disappoint me as much knowing going in. I'm hoping for some pleasant suprises..but my feet on defintely on the ground.

4. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

• [size=-1]Saban: Expectations lead to Frustration. We are focusing on one play at a time. You don't think about a planting a flag at the top of the mountain while your standing in base camp.

[/size]

5. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan A True Fan

I've always stated we will finish about 6-10. Moderate improvement and a shot at one of the 4 premier LT's in next years draft :)

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

the problem is, is that anything is possible.

7. eventide

eventide Active Member

Nice quote. Ive got a good feeling about them this year but im not making any predictions.

8. thedayafter

thedayafter Pro Bowler

Since 2000 17 teams with losing records from the previous year made the play-offs the following year....

9. painnotpleasure

painnotpleasure Hall Of Famer

Well said. Great quote.

10. finsnchips

finsnchips 2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!

:yeahthat: :up:

11. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

Thank you Lee; this is one of a scarce few threads worth a damn in the last few weeks.

12. Lee2000

Lee2000 FinHeaven VIP

Nice quote there; sums it up!

that about sums it up there; nice quote thread!

Lee2000

13. thewicked1isher

thewicked1isher Fun with genetics

I lowered my expectaions to the basement last year when Ricky split on us and hoped that we would suck so bad we would get the #1 overall pick during this last draft. Ha! The only game that pissed me off was when we beat the niners. Ha! Now I am just cruising along, expectations rising daily (as they do every year) but now I'm older, some would say wiser, and I am ready to say for the first time in my life: I would be happy if we went 8-8.

14. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Getting there is half the fun. Watching this team be great in the early 70's, remain at a very high level (although just short of greatness) throughout the 80's and 90's, seeing it crash and burn, and now watching it rebuild is the complete fan experience; a great emotional roller coaster to ride. Just think; we could be Cardinals or Lions fans. No insult intended.

These guys just may surprise us all. They may be the Cinderella team of the new century. Speculating and talking about it is great fun. I guess that's why we're all here...

Bottom line, doesn't really matter how many games they win this year. I expect to get a charge out of watching them now that the witches are all dead.

GO FINS!!!

15. thewicked1isher

That was better than a motivational speech from Matt Foley!

16. cdz12250

cdz12250 FinHeaven VIP

Thanks. I'll be extracting glass from my a** in a van down by the river...

17. FireWrongstedt

FireWrongstedt Banned Hammered

It's an awesome qutoe. And it should serve as a message to the fans that are letting their expectations get out of control. Saban himself is warning the players and fans about expectations. One play at a time baby. One play at a time.

18. wazzy

wazzy A True Fan

:D Ok i don't care how you judge me after I say this. We will not have a losing season. I dont mean this in an offending way I just see to much talent and such great coaches that we have to win at least 8. I'm not saying were going to go undefeated or anything but im more in 8 or 9 wins spot. I just can't see back to back losing seasons even with new systems, coaches and everything.

19. FireWrongstedt

FireWrongstedt Banned Hammered

I think 8-8 is a reasonable expectation. I'm thinking 7-9, 8-8. If we do better than that, then I am pleasently surprised and very happy.

20. FinsDontGiveIn

FinsDontGiveIn Well-Known Member

After the Dolphins blow Denver off the field Sept. 11 I think expectations will change. I'm betting a lot of $ on that game. This game will give the Fins a ton of confidence.

21. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Don't count on it

22. thewicked1isher

But you spoke the truth. Being a longtime fan I have grown compacent, knowing that year after year the Fins will make the playoffs then take a crap in the WC or Div rounds, get a crappy spot in the draft, next year comes we do it again. Last year we SUCKED! And you know what? It was a good thing. We take winning for granted in Miami. Our Fins have always been pretty damn good. We had the greatest QB in the history of the game. We had the greatest coach in the history of the game. We are spoiled rotten. Sucking for one year is not bad, look where we are now headed. New coach and staff, lots of young players with promise, we got nowhere to go but up! I sure hope the AFC East enjoyed last year because the Miami Dolphins are coming back this year and not as a doormat, we are coming to kick some @$$!
    :rawk:

23. thewicked1isher

Matt Foley's got nothin on me!