The Purpose of D. Barnes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Purpose of D. Barnes

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This is just speculation on my part, but I think Darian Barnes was brought in here for one reason -- to create a tougher mentality and identity on offense. We couldn't swap out WRs, QBs, or offensive linemen, so we got a TOUGH player at a position we COULD swap out -- fullback.

Answer me this -- when's the last time you saw ANY player on our offense barking at an opposing defense after a play like Barnes did yesterday?

This has been a key missing ingredient from our offense for YEARS IMO. I don't think Barnes can change that singlehandedly, but I'm glad to see the front office is working on it. That's yet another benefit of having Randy Mueller -- if you've ever read his columns in ESPN.com "Insider," you'll know he thinks along these lines. I think he and Saban are going to be a great mix. Saban wants a tough, physical team, and Mueller is starting to get him the players for it.

there was one play where he blocked his man well into the defensive backfield. Very impressive.

finjim said:
there was one play where he blocked his man well into the defensive backfield. Very impressive.
I don't know if it was the same play, but there was one where he basically glued himself to Keith Brooking and drove him all over the field against his will too.

I was going to make a post about him. He is a big dude!!! The holes he was creating were big for R&R. I like the way he plays the game...110%:D

just curious, was he a street free agent, or did we pick him up off of someone's practice squad?
he looked tough yesterday...

Yeah he does throw his weight around and create some holes. he definetely knocked the crap out of Brooking on one drive and they replayed it a couple of times.

miamitd13 said:
just curious, was he a street free agent, or did we pick him up off of someone's practice squad?
he looked tough yesterday...
I think he was a street FA, but he started a handful of games for Dallas last year.

shouright said:
This is just speculation on my part, but I think Darian Barnes was brought in here for one reason -- to create a tougher mentality and identity on offense. We couldn't swap out WRs, QBs, or offensive linemen, so we got a TOUGH player at a position we COULD swap out -- fullback.

Answer me this -- when's the last time you saw ANY player on our offense barking at an opposing defense after a play like Barnes did yesterday?

This has been a key missing ingredient from our offense for YEARS IMO. I don't think Barnes can change that singlehandedly, but I'm glad to see the front office is working on it. That's yet another benefit of having Randy Mueller -- if you've ever read his columns in ESPN.com "Insider," you'll know he thinks along these lines. I think he and Saban are going to be a great mix. Saban wants a tough, physical team, and Mueller is starting to get him the players for it.

It's good to see some tough guys on the team, I was tired of being the nice guys

shouright said:
I don't know if it was the same play, but there was one where he basically glued himself to Keith Brooking and drove him all over the field against his will too.

Yeah, that was it. He manhandled him!

This was one key ingredient (over the years) we've been missing to a power running game. It's been a long time since we've had this type of presence at FB. This guy is simply impressive to watch. Once I started watching him, I couldn't stop.

I BELIEVE this is Saban slowly removing some of the play calling from Linehan and changing the playbook to more of his style.

It's still infuriating to watch us run at will only to stop and start running gadget plays.

This is the NFL, when you can run the ball as effectively as we have started to in the past few weeks... you ram it down people's throats.

It's like we are holding the running game back because we are afraid it will work.

I disliked Wanny as a coach. And I hated running the ball EVERY play. But, that doesn't mean abandon all running. It seems Linehan has some learning to do about incorporating a power running game with his offense.

I hope he gets off his horse and realizes what he has on the field.

NathanHunt said:
It's been a long time since we've had this type of presence at FB. This guy is simply impressive to watch. Once I started watching him, I couldn't stop.
/QUOTE]

Deon Dyer used to knock the crap out of people too.

The one game, I think it was against the Raiders, he lost his helmet and still pushed the pile for ten yards and ended up with a bloody face.

wyo said:
NathanHunt said:
It's been a long time since we've had this type of presence at FB. This guy is simply impressive to watch. Once I started watching him, I couldn't stop.
/QUOTE]

Deon Dyer used to knock the crap out of people too.

The one game, I think it was against the Raiders, he lost his helmet and still pushed the pile for ten yards and ended up with a bloody face.

Yes, I realize Dyer used to do these things.. but he wasn't utilized. Dyer kept losing out to the "potential" of Rob Konrad. Remember, "we really want to get Rob more involved in the passing game".

Yea, that materialized.

I thought that Barnes looked like a beast out there yesterday. I'm glad that we signed him because he is one hell of a blocker.

NathanHunt said:
wyo said:
Yes, I realize Dyer used to do these things.. but he wasn't utilized. Dyer kept losing out to the "potential" of Rob Konrad. Remember, "we really want to get Rob more involved in the passing game".

Yea, that materialized.

I always had high hopes for Konrads potential. What a dissapointment.

Now if only Linehan passes out of the formations the D. Barnes lines up in, so that other teams don't know 100% it's a run.

Back
Top Bottom