The Purpose of D. Barnes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shouright, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Shouright

Shouright Banned Hammered

This is just speculation on my part, but I think Darian Barnes was brought in here for one reason -- to create a tougher mentality and identity on offense. We couldn't swap out WRs, QBs, or offensive linemen, so we got a TOUGH player at a position we COULD swap out -- fullback.

Answer me this -- when's the last time you saw ANY player on our offense barking at an opposing defense after a play like Barnes did yesterday?

This has been a key missing ingredient from our offense for YEARS IMO. I don't think Barnes can change that singlehandedly, but I'm glad to see the front office is working on it. That's yet another benefit of having Randy Mueller -- if you've ever read his columns in ESPN.com "Insider," you'll know he thinks along these lines. I think he and Saban are going to be a great mix. Saban wants a tough, physical team, and Mueller is starting to get him the players for it.

2. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

there was one play where he blocked his man well into the defensive backfield. Very impressive.

3. Shouright

I don't know if it was the same play, but there was one where he basically glued himself to Keith Brooking and drove him all over the field against his will too.

4. nighttrain76

nighttrain76 Seasoned Veteran

I was going to make a post about him. He is a big dude!!! The holes he was creating were big for R&R. I like the way he plays the game...110%:D

5. miamitd13

miamitd13 Starter Finheaven VIP

just curious, was he a street free agent, or did we pick him up off of someone's practice squad?
    he looked tough yesterday...

6. nando03

nando03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah he does throw his weight around and create some holes. he definetely knocked the crap out of Brooking on one drive and they replayed it a couple of times.

7. Shouright

I think he was a street FA, but he started a handful of games for Dallas last year.

8. weisdolphins

weisdolphins Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

It's good to see some tough guys on the team, I was tired of being the nice guys

9. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

Yeah, that was it. He manhandled him!

10. NathanHunt

NathanHunt Fluff Girls are underpaid.

This was one key ingredient (over the years) we've been missing to a power running game. It's been a long time since we've had this type of presence at FB. This guy is simply impressive to watch. Once I started watching him, I couldn't stop.

I BELIEVE this is Saban slowly removing some of the play calling from Linehan and changing the playbook to more of his style.

It's still infuriating to watch us run at will only to stop and start running gadget plays.

This is the NFL, when you can run the ball as effectively as we have started to in the past few weeks... you ram it down people's throats.

It's like we are holding the running game back because we are afraid it will work.

I disliked Wanny as a coach. And I hated running the ball EVERY play. But, that doesn't mean abandon all running. It seems Linehan has some learning to do about incorporating a power running game with his offense.

I hope he gets off his horse and realizes what he has on the field.

11. wyo

wyo vice ceo

12. NathanHunt

NathanHunt Fluff Girls are underpaid.

13. Prime

Prime FinHeaven Elite

I thought that Barnes looked like a beast out there yesterday. I'm glad that we signed him because he is one hell of a blocker.

14. wyo

wyo vice ceo

15. Marino13fanboy1

Marino13fanboy1 Legend in his own mind

Now if only Linehan passes out of the formations the D. Barnes lines up in, so that other teams don't know 100% it's a run.

16. painnotpleasure

painnotpleasure Hall Of Famer

I think Darian Barnes was brought here for his leading blocking skills, his aggresive mentality, and his special teams play. I did see when he was arguing and looked ready to fight yesterday against one of Atlanta's defenders and I saw the play where Barnes ANNIHILATED and flat out DEMOLISHEd Keith Brooking on a lead block that I do believe lead to the Ricky Williams 23 yd TD. Barnes definitely has intensity which is something we have been lacking on offense, he's not a really good receiver like Heath Evans was but he is a GREAT Special Teams player and makes some very nice tackles (Especially during the Super Bowl for Tampa Bay) and he's a pretty good lead blocker and could even be used for short yardage situations but we don't need him for that because we have Ricky, Ronnie, and Morris. Darian Barnes is a TRUE BLOCKING Fullback and I think Saban brought him because he's also a great Special Teams player as well.