The qualities we should look for in a head coach. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The qualities we should look for in a head coach.

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I see too many people saying that the Dolphins need to get themselves an offensive minded head coach. I disagree, because I believe this narrows the choices, and by hiring an offensive minded head coach, you may get someone that will neglect the defense (a la Mike Martz).

The Miami Dolphins should hire the guy that will make the best head coach. A head coach should have a good understanding of the balance that exists between offense and defense. I think a head coach should have the charisma to handle the media and motivate his players while also maintaining discipline within his team. The coach should be able to communicate with both sides of the football as well as the special teams. I also think the coach should be flexible in what he does. I want to see a coach in Miami that will see a player that doesn't exactly fit what he does but because it is a great player, he adjusts and alters his system to fit him in.

I don't know who the best guy is, but I do know that Miami shouldn't hire someone just because they are "offensive minded".

I agree.... Also don't count out Bates just yet...

That is a solid list of credentials for a new head coach.

Those that were asking for an "offensive minded" head coach probably had many of your criteria in mind as well, I doubt they meant that the offensive mindedness (a word?) was all that they were looking for.

I totally agree.

I don't care if the guy is "offensive" minded. A defensive guy can bring in someone good to run the offense and an offensive guy can bring in someone good to run the defense.

Just hire the best damn candidate (after we hire a president).

Well...first and foremost...I want a head coach who will be able to adapt as the game goes on...I want a head coach who is able to realize that we need to make some changes in schemes and not be so damn predictable. I watch a lot of football and what I notice is that the successful coaches usually change their gameplan. The unsuccessful coaches don't or are stubborn and refuse to make changes in their gameplan. I think this was one of Dave's biggest problems...the Fins have/had a great Defense...and once the Fins had a lead...he would basically just sit on it! Then as the game went on...the opponents would figure out our Defense and make changes and bam...guess what...now we're losing. On offense...it was the same crap all the time. Get a lead...make no mistakes and "hopefully" we could win it in the 4th. The recent Dolphins teams were too damn predictable...on offense and on defense. Good coaches would come out in the second half and beat us. The Dolphins most recent team that I felt had a pretty good chance to make some noise in the playoffs was the 2002 team...Ricky's first season. We just beat the Ra-deers in Miami...we are 9-5 and basically all the cards are in our hands...we controlled our own destiny. We lose to the Vikings...we had a lead...but just couldn't put them away...bam the Vikings come back and win. Next game we play New England...we dominated that game till the last 5 minutes...we had an 11 point lead...and we lose...that fing sucked big time. We need a coach who will gameplan and stress that we need to put teams away. It seems that Wanny & Co. did not do this...either they couldn't do it or were just to stubborn to do this. I want a head coach who can adapt to gametime scenarios...take some chances...and not be so damn predictable!!!

Go Fins!!!

Back
Top Bottom