The return of Samson Satele? He is coming in for a workout Monday

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-samson-satele-for-workout.html#storylink=cpy

[​IMG]

2. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Wilfork needs a happy meal to eat.

3. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

They've brought in a couple O lineman to look at. That's great and if any of them can help i'm all for it.

4. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Yeah will be a lot of fun watching Alligator Arms Satele get eaten alive by Wilfork again. Just like old times

5. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

I honestly rather watch Larsen and Brenner take turns getting beat than see him come back. I would let the 35 year old ex cowboy try out before him.. :(

6. LandShark13

LandShark13 A True Fan

Even if we go into the season with one of them as a starter we will still need to add depth. He wouldn't be my first choice tho but could do worse I guess.

7. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well we are horrible on oline and these signings definitely show that we are scraping bottom to fix it. U have to do the diligence though and some of these guys are better than what we have so why not.
    None of these moves really make our line any better than last year though

8. DefensiveEnd76

I was happy as hell when Satele left our team so there's no way I want him back in a Dolphins uniform

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I like the intel gathering and not standing pat with the in house guys.

10. NorthernFin

NorthernFin Scout Team

We have to get more depth, if one other guy goes down while Pouncy is out .... we could see Vernon or Odrick starting on the O-line. :chuckle:

11. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

I would take Satele at Center for 2-6 games over Brenner, Shelly Smith or anyone else at Center. He would be a band-aid solution to a big problem and better than any in-house options we have

12. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

And even if he doesn't start...he'll be good depth, at least until Pouncy comes back!

13. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Its just important to hold it together until Pouncey gets back...a little veteran insurance is a good idea...But I still want to see Larsen compete for the spot.

Losing Pouncey sucks, but we are still upgraded over last year at the tackle position and probably guard position as well.

Its not how you start the season...its how you finish it.(see the 2013 Miami Dolphins).

14. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I'm not going to pretend to know if he's any good or not (probably not seeing as the Colts cut him for $4 mill and there has been little interest) but there is a DT on the Broncos that hates his guts. During the Colts Broncos game the DT took a penalty against him then later on special teams you could see that same DT holding up Satele's leg in the pile chopping on it literally trying to break it. So if he's our center during the Broncos game things could get interesting.

15. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Two former MIA teamates - (I believe) Kevin Vickerson and Sataele were going after it - Vickerson lost his composure

16. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

17. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Wilfork and the big DT's in the AFC East used to toss Satele around like a rag doll, I have no interest in seeing that again.

18. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Typical Dolphins fashion looking down the bottom of the barrel

19. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

AFAIC, he's "returning to the scene of the crime"

20. rent this space

What's sad is this isn't the bottom of the barrel. these are the best(only) linemen available. Much rather see Garner-Brenner-Smith-Larsen

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

They had their chance to improve the iine more in free agency but they settled on the one lineman. There were better guard free agents avail they did not make a run at.

22. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Satele, 29, then started three seasons for the Raiders, before moving on to Indianapolis, where he started 11 games in 2012 and 13 in 2013.

Pro Football Focus rated Satele 31st among 35 qualifying centers last season ---- 18th as a pass blocker but last as a run blocker. He allowed one sack.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-samson-satele-for-workout.html#storylink=cpy

Not much help for the running game but at least with Samson our QB might stay upright.

23. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

We're talking about a backup center available off the street in June. You can't expect anything worthwhile. Satele is the best you can expect, which is not saying much. The Colts couldn't wait to get rid of him. I'd hope that Brenner or even Larsen could beat him out in camp. Brenner seems like he has some good movement skills in the run game but quick d tackles can get on Brenner in a hurry especially in the pass rush. Satele may be safer in pass pro but a progress stopper for younger prospects like Brenner and Larsen who could use development time for the future as our previous coach would say.

24. DefensiveEnd76

We needed MORE help earlier in free agency. Hickey was not aggressive enough. You can't settle for the bare minimum when your o-line is a steaming pile of dung.

25. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

Well he is agile, so athletically he'd fit the scheme. He still sucks though.

26. rent this space

They actually signed a guard and a tackle in free agency and if Pouncey was healthy, they wouldn't even be looking at someone like Satele. Like Austin said, you can't expect much in June

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I know they signed a guard and a tackle. A guard that barely cracked a bad situation at guard when the starter got injured and a tackle that has more dnp in 4 years than he does have plays.
    I don't even count Fox as a signing. He gets injured lacing up his sneakers

28. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

These are the type of signings I was hoping Ireland would make last offseason, if you don't have quality then go with quantity. Give the staff plenty of options, hope the competition will bring the most out of one of them, and give yourself some depth. The worst thing you can do is leave $20 million in cap space to collect dust and hope you hit it out of the park with that undrafted guy.

29. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Why is Satele an option when he doesn't block people?

A lineman the doesn't block, that makes sense.

Let's bring Wilford back to catch the ball for us while we are at it.

30. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

Steele would be a decent pick up. Granted, he is not a superstar. However, he is a good fit in the zone blocking scheme. Where he struggles is in a power scheme. He has plenty of experience which is what we seriously lack right now.

31. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

If luck was not his qb im sure the number would be higher

32. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I think we need to bring in a veteran center, even if it is Satele, for insurance. There are several contingencies we must be prepared for. I would like to think we give Larsen and Brenner all the chances to win the job. If they can't, or if they get nicked up during preseason or early part of the season we have Satele. Or if Pouncy's recovery takes longer than expected, then we have a guy who can at least understand the playbook. This is an insurance move.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

As a backup he is an ok option. probably is no worse overall than Shelly Smith who many like on this board.

34. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

IMO wheather its Satele or another OL we have enough time , Training camp and preseason to get this fixed , we will have more options when the cut down to the 53 men , Miami Knows that IF they go into the season like last year , with cap space , and do nothing to fix the OL injurys , Ross WILL have a **** fit , and WILL FIRE ALL !! Miami is a pro Football Team with Pro Coaches , and they had Better step up to the plate , IMO Miami is taking all levels to get this OL fixed , and i really think we will be pretty good at the OL poss by the time traing camp /preseason rolls around , I cant see Philbin and com. being dumb enough to let it go like last year ? WE ARE EXPLORING ALL OPTIONS......

35. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Mia is a pro football team with pro football coaches that has sucked for a long time now.
    Name me the last head coach that left us and got another hc job in the nfl

36. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

True , there isnt one , the Don retired with us , there are a couple that got cordinator jobs but no HC jobs ..

37. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

IMO the only good thing out of all this is ,atleast it isnt the same HC , Hopefully what we have Now dont make the same stupid decisions as the past has done , i just hope that this coaching staff exc . step up to the plate ..

38. rent this space

I wasn't counting Fox, either. that makes 2 tackles and a guard signed in free agency

39. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Nick Saban could easily get a head coach job in NFL if he wanted . A couple of our OC's have gotten head coaching jobs. None of our DC's have.This will probably be Philbin's only head coaching stop. Sparano will never get another HC gig in NFL, Cameron may in college.
    Kind of funny and amazing that Cameron is the OC at LSU now. One day Todd Bowles may be a head NFL coach besides intrim and Im sure Mike Nolan gets another chance.

40. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You were not counting Fox for good reason. He only can play like 4 games a year anyway. Look up injury prone in the dictionary and u see his picture