The thinking man's draft guide | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The thinking man's draft guide

Maggot Brain

Trade Bait
Reaction score
My apologies for bringing this up a month after the draft, but I just came across what far and away has to be considered the most cerebral of all NFL draft sites. They approach and analyze the draft from a logic and what I'll call a theoretical physics or even economics standpoint where they weigh risk versus reward spread out over the likely length of a rookie's contract. Interestingly, they use Dolphin first round pick Vernon Carey (whom they love by the way) as their example of how they calculate a player's Draft Pick Value (DPV). They come off fairly ****y at times, or, more precisely, like someone who is way too intelligent for their own good. I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but some will find it interesting at the very least.

The Football Genius

Loved the indepth report on Carey, this guy sounds like a monster. I thought Miami's OL that year was a monster, I've seen Carey for a while now and wished Miami Phins, that is, would get him, I was estatic to see him drafted by us. For the longest, all I heard was Andrews, so I thought we'd miss out on this guy. I watch him more last year because our OL was struggling and I was watching a lot of UM games and started really looking at their OL.

Indeed, Ohio State employed some trickery in dealing with Carey, indicating that Jim Tressel knew all about his opponent and had a good plan for dealing with Carey’s dominance. Ohio State moved its defensive line around like crazy before the snap, many times leaving nobody on Vernon Carey. Tressel must have seen the logic that there was no point in serving up a defender who was just going to get blown away. Instead, make Carey play in open space, and flood the zone if the Canes run that way. That strategy definitely helped the Buckeyes contain the mighty Miami rushing attack. Of course, as on the other films, when Carey actually encountered a Buckeye, that Buckeye was destroyed.

If this it true, damn. That is pretty impressive.

Now where is the thinking man's nfl guide? Thanks for the link to the draft site.

Back
Top Bottom