Then and now | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Then and now

Bowl_Bound

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was rewatching our last playoff win (in 2000 I think) :cry: :shakeno: against Indy. Some thoughts.
Lamar Smith looked great however alot was because we had a line that could block. Those holes were HUGE. I long for a day when Ricky runs behind such a line.

Goodwin could block. It makes me wonder about McMike. I love him but I also dont think blocking is his specialty. Perhaps he should get Boston's trainer working for him. :D

Jay was and is TERRIBLE. He threw two horrific picks to chad cota and should have had another to a d linemen but the guy had NO HANDS at all. He is better now but his skills are still way below average. I vote for starting AJ no matter what and getting him used to our system ASAP. Jay is a fine backup and no more.

Our linebackers are so much better now. Especially against the run. James run around and over everybody. Greenwood is much improved and Seau is still a stud in run D.

We had NO pass rush against an average O line. Lets hope we figure a way to keep Wally.

Coverage looked great but I think this years until will be even better.

Guess that is it for now. Anyone else catch that the other day?

Cool post. :D

I agree about the OL in 2000. It was more physical then. I hope with the boost of hunger, and added youth, the 2004 OL will be the same. It should, at the very least, be better than the OL in 2003....

McMicheal needs to do more than dance. Part of the TE's job is to help out in the run department. It's time for him to earn his stripes.....

Even without O-GUN {if he's traded / holds out}, rotating DE's D. Bowens, J. Williams, and O. Grigsby should be almost as good. Bowens is solid, and Williams is no slacker. Williams makes plays, and with Bowens come back 100% this year, he should resemble his old self. Afterall, he was the starting DE until unjuries caused the emergence of O-GUN....

PHINZ RULE!!! :fire:

Our OL last year c/block ag a D as horrible as the 2000 Dolts. Bad D makes for good O more than the opposite. I do think McM's run blocking a good for a receiver of his caliber, but he is not a converted OT like Goodwin.

Yes, I love our run D since Jr got here - he is the best tackler we have had in a long time.

dolphan39 said:
Our OL last year c/block ag a D as horrible as the 2000 Dolts. Bad D makes for good O more than the opposite. I do think McM's run blocking a good for a receiver of his caliber, but he is not a converted OT like Goodwin.

Yes, I love our run D since Jr got here - he is the best tackler we have had in a long time.

True the colts were a bad D team but our O was almost as bad. Jay, Smith, an ailing Mcduff, OG, Martin :shakeno: (he was a TERRIBLE blocker even for a WR), Goodwin who caught and ran trouts like a Tackle, etc. We only scored 23 points in an overtime game against said terrible D. I didn't mention another Jay pick b/c it was not a horrible play by him. Chad Bradzke (sp) picked him off on a screen pass. A geat play by chad and Jay just throwing before looking. In Jay's defense who would have expected a DE to pick off a screen pass, well except for JT :D . But Jay should .....well perhaps LOOK before he throws. :fire: . Anyway My point is opur O was as bad as their D. Its not like we scored 60 pts and won by 57.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Cool post. :D

I agree about the OL in 2000. It was more physical then. I hope with the boost of hunger, and added youth, the 2004 OL will be the same. It should, at the very least, be better than the OL in 2003....

McMicheal needs to do more than dance. Part of the TE's job is to help out in the run department. It's time for him to earn his stripes.....

Even without O-GUN {if he's traded / holds out}, rotating DE's D. Bowens, J. Williams, and O. Grigsby should be almost as good. Bowens is solid, and Williams is no slacker. Williams makes plays, and with Bowens come back 100% this year, he should resemble his old self. Afterall, he was the starting DE until unjuries caused the emergence of O-GUN....

PHINZ RULE!!! :fire:

Thanks.
I hope you are correct about the O line and DE position! I am cautiously positive as well. I was drooling over our LBs & D line playing that game and or Ricky running through those caverns. If you get a chance and have direct TV, check out the game. I could not beleive how bad Jay looked and we still won. Reminds me of an earlier post that states win in spite of Jay not because of him. He has improved, but by the looks of that game he would have been better suited to wash the uniforms rather that wear one. Even the announcers were killing him. Two quotes I remember were something like:
"Even a rookie in his first exhibition game should know better. He threw a hellium filled balloon over the middle of the field."
"Dave is going crazy talking to his QB. He has got to be wondering if he has the correct guy taking snaps."
Makes me wonder why Dave is such a Jay honk. :shakeno: :confused:

dreadlockera said:
I was rewatching our last playoff win (in 2000 I think) :cry: :shakeno: against Indy. Some thoughts.
Lamar Smith looked great however alot was because we had a line that could block. Those holes were HUGE. I long for a day when Ricky runs behind such a line.

Goodwin could block. It makes me wonder about McMike. I love him but I also dont think blocking is his specialty. Perhaps he should get Boston's trainer working for him. :D

Jay was and is TERRIBLE. He threw two horrific picks to chad cota and should have had another to a d linemen but the guy had NO HANDS at all. He is better now but his skills are still way below average. I vote for starting AJ no matter what and getting him used to our system ASAP. Jay is a fine backup and no more.

Our linebackers are so much better now. Especially against the run. James run around and over everybody. Greenwood is much improved and Seau is still a stud in run D.

We had NO pass rush against an average O line. Lets hope we figure a way to keep Wally.

Coverage looked great but I think this years until will be even better.

Guess that is it for now. Anyone else catch that the other day?

A NFL season is 16 games long, not 1, but nice try anyway...

Back
Top Bottom