Theories on Charles Clay??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Theories on Charles Clay???

justdev7

Rookie
Reaction score
I've heard the NFL Network guy talk about him a lot and how versatile he is. From what I've heard he's a good pass catcher(lead his team), he's not the best lead blocker(but he's got the size), and he's a little to small to play TE. So how do you guys think we'll use him? H-back, TE, FB? Or a little of everything?

More importantly, is Virgil Green still a possible target?

He is not a TE or FB that can lead block or set the edge. If we use him like the Pat's use Aaron Hernandez we could really have something. With Sparano running the show, not so sure that will happen. Hope it does because the kid does have talent.

So that explains why Green fell.....Mayock said he had micro knee surgery a few years back and was flagged at the combine.

I'm getting really tired of teams doubling up on TEs that I want. Hernandez and Gronkowski to the Pats and Pitta and Dickson to the Ravens last year. And now Julius Thomas and Virgil Green to the Broncos this year.

Clay is a Dallas Clark type TE ... Clay is too small and not strong enough to hold up as a blocker ... which would indicate he is a receiving threat 1st and foremost ... IF he makes the team, I can envision Clay as a down the seem type TE ... a guy that lines up all over the formations, looking to take advantage of his receiving skills ... IF he is able to make the team he'll be a lot like Jim Jenson was when he played for Miami, back in the day ... I'm hoping that Clay, can build him self up into a stronger and better blocker ... in short he is a hybrid type player !!!

H back all the way. he is your mismatch made in heaven. going in motion...linin up as FB then goin in motion...linin up wide makin LB's freak out...linin up as wildcat QB taking direct snap and runnin with authority. Modern day Jim Jensen?

I actually think Clay being drafted is an out of the box type thinking on the part of the F/O ... could be a stroke of good fortune or ingenious move, to have a player like this on the team .. again that is if he makes the team and has a large role

I think Sparano can probably coach up his blocking to where he's adequate at least. I really hope all this investing in speed pays off. Obviously, there's still a glaring need at QB and all this speed isn't going to mean squat if the ball is over/under thrown. Better hope that our new OC figures out how to get the best out of Henne, or we're in for a long season.

The guy is 6'3" 245 lbs. I think he's big enough for TE. He needs to get stronger and maybe add 10 pounds at the most but if Dustin Keller at 6'2" 250 lbs can play TE for the Jets, Clay can definitely play TE for us.

Charles Clay was a ST pick

Gonna have to disagree with that. Check out the play at the 40" mark. He's got that down the seam speed and is a natural athlete. I'm surprised there wasn't more chatter about this guy.

Also check out the play at the 2:55 mark and note the speed he has in the open field. this is a unique athlete. Remember Dorin Dickerson from last year? This guy reminds me of him but less straight line speed and slightly bigger and probably a smoother athlete.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnqcKxk0Ek

And his numbers at the combine are better than Williams, Stocker and comparable to Thomas - I really wanted Green, though. I saw an interview with Clay and he is hungry to play..he better be. I like this pick...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/

And he is slotted in the TE group.

I think Sparano can probably coach up his blocking to where he's adequate at least. I really hope all this investing in speed pays off. Obviously, there's still a glaring need at QB and all this speed isn't going to mean squat if the ball is over/under thrown. Better hope that our new OC figures out how to get the best out of Henne, or we're in for a long season.
What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Sounds like he thinks Clay will be more of an H-back/TE than a RB which I would have to agree with. For a RB he'd have average speed but as a TE/H-back he's got good speed

Back
Top Bottom