These ridiculous grades of the Miami Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

These ridiculous grades of the Miami Draft

Fin Thirteen

Club Member
Reaction score
When I see draft grades of C and the like for the Fins this year, I find it hard to believe there isn't a bias against us and/or a lot of nonsense published about player evaluation.

But these things are inherently very subjective, so it's hard to criticize one guy's opinion. Nevertheless, I decided to have a look at the NFL Draft Grade given to each and every player (except a few lesser lights) leading up to the Draft and see how all 32 teams did against the player grades. I took the average of all picks made by the team, as some teams had more picks than others. A straight average is a little oversimplified, as teams with more picks are likely to have had more late round picks, but the idea was not to be scientific.

I know the NFL Draft Grade in itself is subjective, sometimes maybe even totally inaccurate in some cases. But if the NFL are happy to put their name to it, then the analysts the NFL employs should surely not totally ignore the validity of their own proprietary grading system when handing out Cs and Ds to teams.

Sooooo, out of all 32 teams in the NFL Draft, care to guess which one had the highest average NFL Draft Grade across all picks?

Yup.

Fins had an average 76.9, just above the Bengals 76.7.

Again, for the record, I doubt the accuracy of the NFL Draft Grades as a predictor for the future. Do I believe we had the best draft of everyone? Probably not. But I know that the team who drafted the players with the highest average NFL grade should be ruled automatically out of the C and D grade territory from some of these "experts", particularly NFL analysts.

The full list for what it's worth:

Dolphins76.9
Bengals76.7
Cardinals72.5
Packers72.3
Bills72.1
Chiefs72.1
Texans71.1
Eagles71.1
Browns71.1
Chargers70.2
Rams70.1
Panthers70.1
Steelers69.8
Giants69.3
Buccaneers69.0
Vikings68.8
Lions68.0
Titans67.9
Colts67.6
Ravens67.4
Jaguars67.3
Patriots67.0
49ers67.0
Broncos66.4
Jets66.3
Cowboys64.9
Redskins63.2
Bears62.7
Falcons61.5
Seahawks60.7
Raiders58.8
Saints56.6

How many of the players we drafted will be starters in week one?
What has that to do with anything? Most of the players the Packers pick won't start in week 1, does that make any potential draft they could have made an automatic D?

can you give a break down of what each individual picks grade was???

It is not about who will be week one starters in 2012, it is about who will be starters a few years from now. Chances are Martin will be the only starter in 2012. However three years from now, Tannehill, Martin, Vernon, Egnew and Miller could all be starters.

Can't believe that people really think there's some bias against Miami. Other teams got average grades as well.

Also no sure why some worry about draft grades. They're opinions just like your opinion of our draft is higher than a C and clearly your opinion IS bias.

Let dudes get on the field for a couple of seasons and see what they've got.

The point of Thirteen's post is to illustrate how the opinion around the draft changes dramatically with the subjectivity of the media. His pre draft average data shows that even though a player is highly touted and regarded as a decent pick the subjectivity of the analytical media will sway their opinions based on what teams the players are drafted to.

Predraft grades become irrelevant and now a new grade is assigned based on the preface of team needs, player quality and expected team draft picks.

It really is all subjective and opinion based, no one knows who is going to pan out and who is going to bust out. The Colts may very well be looking for a QB in 2014 or 2015 just like the Dolphins, maybe Weeden goes on to be an all pro, maybe Tannehill is the gem of the draft.

What I do know is that Miami had need at QB, Safety, RT, OLB/DE, WR and depth at TE, depth at LB. They picked up a QB, RT, DE, TE, LB, 2x WR, RB and a DT. I would have liked to see safety help but the class was thin on no miss talent.

I'd say that was a pretty good draft considering the abysmal free agent period Jeff had up to the draft. I know not everyone of those guys are going to make the cut but even if you get two starters and two quality depth players it is successful, the two starters need to be at QB and RT of course.

When I see draft grades of C and the like for the Fins this year, I find it hard to believe there isn't a bias against us and/or a lot of nonsense published about player evaluation.

But these things are inherently very subjective, so it's hard to criticize one guy's opinion. Nevertheless, I decided to have a look at the NFL Draft Grade given to each and every player (except a few lesser lights) leading up to the Draft and see how all 32 teams did against the player grades. I took the average of all picks made by the team, as some teams had more picks than others. A straight average is a little oversimplified, as teams with more picks are likely to have had more late round picks, but the idea was not to be scientific.

I know the NFL Draft Grade in itself is subjective, sometimes maybe even totally inaccurate in some cases. But if the NFL are happy to put their name to it, then the analysts the NFL employs should surely not totally ignore the validity of their own proprietary grading system when handing out Cs and Ds to teams.

Sooooo, out of all 32 teams in the NFL Draft, care to guess which one had the highest average NFL Draft Grade across all picks?

Yup.

Fins had an average 76.9, just above the Bengals 76.7.

Again, for the record, I doubt the accuracy of the NFL Draft Grades as a predictor for the future. Do I believe we had the best draft of everyone? Probably not. But I know that the team who drafted the players with the highest average NFL grade should be ruled automatically out of the C and D grade territory from some of these "experts", particularly NFL analysts.

The full list for what it's worth:

Dolphins76.9
Bengals76.7
Cardinals72.5
Packers72.3
Bills72.1
Chiefs72.1
Texans71.1
Eagles71.1
Browns71.1
Chargers70.2
Rams70.1
Panthers70.1
Steelers69.8
Giants69.3
Buccaneers69.0
Vikings68.8
Lions68.0
Titans67.9
Colts67.6
Ravens67.4
Jaguars67.3
Patriots67.0
49ers67.0
Broncos66.4
Jets66.3
Cowboys64.9
Redskins63.2
Bears62.7
Falcons61.5
Seahawks60.7
Raiders58.8
Saints56.6

Good ****ing job homey. I know you must have put alot into this. Don't worry for some facts are useless. Being a numbers guy, I love the analysis.

Can't believe that people really think there's some bias against Miami. Other teams got average grades as well.

Also no sure why some worry about draft grades. They're opinions just like your opinion of our draft is higher than a C and clearly your opinion IS bias.

Let dudes get on the field for a couple of seasons and see what they've got.
I have several friends who are Saints fans and they feel there is strong bias against the Saints. A couple of friends here are Giants fans and they feel there is a bias against the Giants. When I lived in Dallas, co-workers felt there was a bias against the Cowboys. Growing up in Phoenix, there was tremendous bias against the cards, according to the 5 fans they had before their SB run.

Amazing that there's so much bias out there.

can you give a break down of what each individual picks grade was???

Sure (columns got a little screwed up in the cut and paste, but the NFL Draft Grade is the number on the right):

PICKPLAYERPOSHTWTCOLLEGEGRADE
questionmark-1.png
WATCH
Round 1, Pick 8 (8)Ryan TannehillQB6'4"221Texas A&M87.0
Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "I have him rated as the 19th best player in the draft, which tells you I don't think he's ready to be a heavy contributor this year. I watched every throw he made on tape this year. All the out-breaking routes are phenomenal. Where he gets in trouble are the in-breaking routes where he stares the receiver down, pats the ball and throws interceptions."
Round 2, Pick 10 (42)Jonathan MartinOT6'5"312Stanford87.0
Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "First-round talent right here, tremendous arm length. I call him a little bit of a finesse player. Doesn't mean he's not tough, but he's so good with his feet and understands angles. I believe the Dolphins just got themselves a starter on either the right or left side."
Round 3, Pick 9 (72)Olivier VernonDE6'2"261Miami82.0
Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "Out of all the underclassmen that came out this year, and I didn't think many should have, Vernon is one that I banged the table for. He's a solid 4-3 defensive end who can get edge pressure on the quarterback."
Round 3, Pick 15 (78) (From Chargers)Michael EgnewTE6'5"252Missouri71.5
Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "When you think Missouri tight end, you think freakish athlete who doesn't block. Well, this is true again. He can really run, and he's a natural hands catcher."
Round 4, Pick 2 (97) (From Colts through 49ers)Lamar MillerRB5'11"212Miami84.5
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Miller gives the Dolphins a home run threat in the backfield. He is explosive with the ball in his hands and displays outstanding burst when running on the perimeter. Miller needs to show better toughness in pass protection, but could develop into a dynamic weapon as a situational playmaker.
Round 5, Pick 20 (155) (From Titans)Josh KadduLB6'3"239Oregon68.5
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Kaddu is an athletic linebacker with speed and quickness. He excels in a "run and chase" scheme that allows him to use his speed to harass running backs at the second level.
Round 6, Pick 13 (183) (From Chargers)B.J. CunninghamWR6'1"211Michigan St.73.5
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Cunningham is an underrated pass catcher with skills. He is a good route runner with savvy and quickness and could make immediate contributions as a third or fourth receiver.
Round 7, Pick 8 (215)Kheeston RandallDT6'4"293Texas64.5
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Randall was once touted as an early-round prospect, but a disappointing final season leveled his draft stock. However, he possesses the size and strength to emerge as a quality interior defender as a pro.
Round 7, Pick 20 (227) (From Titans)Rishard MatthewsWR6'0"212Nevada73.5
Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Matthews is a productive pass catcher with sneaky skills. He could outplay his draft status quickly in Miami.

What has that to do with anything? Most of the players the Packers pick won't start in week 1, does that make any potential draft they could have made an automatic D?
?? What the crap does that have to do with anything?? This has nothing to do with whether or not a team starts it's draft picks, or needs to, for that matter. The NFL rated the college prospects before the draft, and if you use their OWN draft grades and add all of each teams draft picks up and get a average score per player per team then ours is the highest, according to the OP. This has nothing to do with if a team is better and has more talent so rookies probably won't be starting.

I am also sure that as the OP has stated there are obvious flaws in the absolute accuracy, such as worse teams draft earlier in every round so they SHOULD have a higher total draft grade, or was any credit given for teams with fewer draft picks in higher rounds etc. But I do agree it is funny how so many writers have our draft as terrible when we are the ones at the top of the list. Very interesting prospective.

our draft scores are low becaue we took a lot of prospects that are projects. there is no bias, we took a bunch of unoproven players, even for rookies. Tannehill only has a handful of starts at qb, vernon missed half the season last year, miller could have injury issues, egnew had a drop off after his quarterback left last year...

could all those picks end up being good? yeah but not likely.

there is no ****ing bias....lol our team just sucks, we havent been good since the 90's. when they start winning this all goes away!

the OP did a nice job in this thread though. props to you sir.

I have several friends who are Saints fans and they feel there is strong bias against the Saints. A couple of friends here are Giants fans and they feel there is a bias against the Giants. When I lived in Dallas, co-workers felt there was a bias against the Cowboys. Growing up in Phoenix, there was tremendous bias against the cards, according to the 5 fans they had before their SB run.

Amazing that there's so much bias out there.

If we went to message boards across the Internet and polled their users about a negative bias against their team, I guarantee all of them would feel that the media treats them unfairly. It's all a matter of what you pay attention to. We pay attention to the Dolphons because we're emotionally attached. If media talks about another team, we tune out.

I have friends who believe that the media hate the Miami Heat lol. Laughable.

Back
Top Bottom