Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Best D ???

This is way overblown. Consider the competition:

A Jags team with a bad OL and a mistake ridden rookie QB

A Jets team with a rusty, slow QB.

A Giants team whose offense is self-destructing right and left (look at what the Pats did to it - with an injury riddled D!).

When we see them do this consistently against the good offenses (Like INDY in a couple of weeks), then we can start claiming they may be among the best.

I am pleased with their points allowed (that's ultimately the only stat that matters on D). And think they are potentially great. But, we need to consult your history a little better.

We fans have too many short term memories. How many times have we looked this good against mediocre competition early in the season? Oh, only about 12 out of the last 13 years!

This team and D hasn't proven anything! But, I do think if they play with the intensity of the Buffalo game - in every game; and if the offense doesn't put them in bad position, they can go a long way.

I would have dropped a thousand bucks if we could have had this same defense in the period of the mid 80's to the early 90's! I guarantee you we'd have gone to at least two more SB's and would have won one.

Re: This "D" Hasn't Proven Anything

this D cannot prove they are the best until they play well in Dec and win a first round playoff game; but they are easily and have been for years at top 5 or top 10 D

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Best D ???

A Giants team whose offense is self-destructing right and left (look at what the Pats did to it - with an injury riddled D!).

When we see them do this consistently against the good offenses (Like INDY in a couple of weeks), then we can start claiming they may be among the best.

I am pleased with their points allowed (that's ultimately the only stat that matters on D). And think they are potentially great. But, we need to consult your history a little better.

We fans have too many short term memories. How many times have we looked this good against mediocre competition early in the season? Oh, only about 12 out of the last 13 years!

This team and D hasn't proven anything! But, I do think if they play with the intensity of the Buffalo game - in every game; and if the offense doesn't put them in bad position, they can go a long way.

I would have dropped a thousand bucks if we could have had this same defense in the period of the mid 80's to the early 90's! I guarantee you we'd have gone to at least two more SB's and would have won one.

No they haven't, but they sure are playing well. They held TWO good offenses to 10 point in their homes. That's nothing not to be excited about!

Oliver...

Right now, they're among the best. And they have indeed proven something. They've proven....to this point.....that they do not melt down. They have that killer instinct to put teams away. If the offense was worth a damn, we would have dominated the last 3 games.

But I agree with the sentiment. If this offense doesn't improve, or at least start sustaining some drives, this defense will just plumb wear down and the team will collapse.

The defense has proved a lot. First, they proved they can play on the road. That Jacksonville offense is not a bad one.

In the last 4 games, we have allowed 30 points on defense. I don't care who you are playing, they have been consistently good week in and week out.

Best D ???

Maybe it was the Miami D that made them look bad????

I find it hard to believe that the last 4 games we won it was because the offenses on these teams just played bad, I can believe one maybe two games, but not four in a row, our D is doing things that is just taking these offenses out of sync, sure we give up some big plays.

You make a good point, DD. It's very interesting how every team we've beaten seems to get hammered the next week. I think our defense is giving each team's next opponent a blueprint on how to whoop 'em. CERTAINLY the case with Buffalo. :lol:

Buffalo isn't a dominant offense? NYG doesn't have Barber, Collins, Shockey & Toomer? Jaguars don't have Taylor, and Jimmy Smith?

This defense has done up against some of the best offenses in the league and has held each to 10 points or less. Not to mention all the take-aways we've put up.

I mean come on... look at our statistics from yesterday:
3 INT's, 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and a TD.

Ok our D has done just enought to get the win, and sometimes that is not enought. By that I mean that I want to see a game where we are constitinly halling down the QB, and throwing more than 5 yards is no option,

Yet this is a two sided sport, our offense needs to sack it up and blow up some teams, Jay has been doing a little better, and his recievers need to hold on to the ball, or make the extra effort.

WAR BLOW OUTS

our O has put lots of pressure on the D and they have responded with wins on the road...something sorely missing in the past. We (almost) never had games like yesterday on the road before, we saved those for Mia; and Jr and Tim Bo were out.

If our O starts clicking and getting TOP and 1st downs, our D can dominate. Seems like no one will believe til we shutdown Payton and Co on 11/2

P.S. but they have not proven anything until the season is over and they got us that elusive bye

Best D ???

All this and we're still ranked 11th overall on D?:confused: :confused: :confused:

And here I thought it was our defense that has one us four in a row (including an undefeated road record) and is consistently shutting teams down.

I guess it must be our offense. :lol:

This defense has done more than enough at this point to prove that they are indeed the best defense in the league with their closest competition being the Carolina Panthers.

At the time that Miami played the Bills and the Giants, they were two of the hottest offenses in the NFL. The Bills offense has been sucking ever since, but part of that can be traced to what Miami did to them on Prime Time television, showing the weaknesses of the Bills. Same with the Giants, they have a ton of weapons and Miami went out there and only let them have 10 points, showed how you can force Kerry Collins into throwing picks. Just because the Patriots did it too, doesn't take away from what we did.

The Patriots have an aweful good defense as well when they show up to play and have the right game plan.

The Dolphins have allowed 3 fewer touchdowns than any other team in the league. They give up, as a team, 11.6 points per game, and their closest competition the Panthers, give up 13.6 points a game.

Right now, they are the best defense in the league. Will they continue to be? Who knows. They face some stiff tests.

We are ranked 11th because of the yardage we give up. However, all that yardage isn't converting to points. Our takeaways the past few weeks are stunning and Taylor and Ogunleye are starting to become as stifliing a pair of DE's as you can get. This D has proven somethign if you ask me. Three drives were inside the ten yard line yesterday against the Jags. One Touchdown, one field goal and another possesion that garnered no points. To me, that is a heck of a ratio. Our red zone defense has only given up two touchdowns all year. At that pace, they will give up 7 or so for the year. That is outstanding.

I think this D has proved a lot, especially since we had all these qustions after week 1.

Back
Top Bottom