This Guy Reminds Me of Brady... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Guy Reminds Me of Brady...

Blitz

The Big Zonk
Reaction score
I hate Brady as much as the next Dolfan, but we have to be honest with ourselves: He is one of the greatest QBs of all-time, and certainly the best QB since Marino's retirement. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a shower...

Is it not true that we would KILL to have a QB like him on our team? (And let's face it: The odds of there ever being another QB like Marino are much slimmer than the odds of us finding our version of Brady). So what I am getting at is that I feel like Ricky Stanzi of Iowa has a Brady-esque swagger and style of play (i.e., coolly manages the pocket with his mind and feet, can thread the needle or put the right amount of touch on it, etc.):

[video=youtube;4x2UUWgv1NQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ&feature=related[/video]

What do you guys think?

Sure does throw off his back foot quite a bit. Alot of those throws are floaters and rely on the receiver to be in the right position. Not sure I saw great decision making anywhere in that video.

Sure does throw off his back foot quite a bit.

Yeah, but that is something that he can be coached on at the next level.

Alot of those throws are floaters and rely on the receiver to be in the right position.

Really? I only see him putting touch on the ball, not throwing any floaters. He's not Marino or Elway, but he's not Fiedler either. He can zing it just as well as Brady or Montana, for example.

Not sure I saw great decision making anywhere in that video.

25 TDs to 6 INTs, so a 4:1 TD/INT ratio, in his senior season. 64.1% completion percentage. Played four years in a pro-style offense and a competitive conference. Apparently he led quite a few comebacks in the fourth quarter, too. Seems like he's either a really lucky guy on a great team, or somebody who usually made great decisions. I'd bet on the latter.

If he can translate those type of numbers and play into the pros, I'll take him.

He looks good to me. If the Dolphins could get this guy in the 3rd Rd it would be a great pickup.

He works with Tom Martinez... who is Tom Brady's personal quarterback tutor...

Yeah, well Graham Harrell worked pretty darn hard to look like Tom Brady too (even started looking like him), and some thought he succeeded to an extent.

I barely even consider Stanzi to be draftable.

I have the top two guys Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton, then Ryan Mallett, then T.J. Yates, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, and Jake Locker, then after that is when I have guys like Pat Devlin, Andy Dalton, Ricky Stanzi and Ben Chappell, kind of in a beauty is in the eye of the beholder free-for-all as far as getting drafted in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. I would leave Greg McElroy undrafted but if I had a spot open for a career backup I would bring him to camp and see if I could make him into that. I would leave Tyrod Taylor and Josh Portis undrafted as well and if I'm one of those teams that has two QBs on roster and feel comfortable only rostering two guys (there are a handful of teams that do this) then I would have Portis/Taylor be guys that run my scout team from the practice squad, see if either of them starts to 'get it' at some point.

Yeah, well Graham Harrell worked pretty darn hard to look like Tom Brady too (even started looking like him), and some thought he succeeded to an extent.

I barely even consider Stanzi to be draftable.
I don't know CK. I value your opinion on quarterbacks a great deal, but I think you are underrating Stanzi. Not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but he definitely looks like someone who has the skills to develop. I know it's a highlight film but it shows that he can do all the things you want at the next level IMO.

I don't know CK. I value your opinion on quarterbacks a great deal, but I think you are underrating Stanzi. Not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but he definitely looks like someone who has the skills to develop. I know it's a highlight film but it shows that he can do all the things you want at the next level IMO.

As things stand, I have T.J. Yates valued pretty highly. But I recognize how far he would need to climb in order to get to where he's going to get. I've just seen some very specific and very hopeful signs that he could climb that mountain. Ricky Stanzi is like a poor man's T.J. Yates, to me. The climb is just too difficult, too unlikely.

CK, I have seen many other places regard Yates as a quarterback that will be taken no earlier than the 4th or 5th round. Personally, my favorite 2nd or 3rd round option is Christian Ponder. If Ponder shows that he can fully recover from his throwing arm injuries, he has the smarts and the football IQ to do great things in the NFL.

I think Stanzi has the potential to be a very solid starter.. He doesn't throw off his back foot, but he also does not generate enough power with the throwing motion he has (which can be coached).. Most if not all his passes are touch passes or floaters but he is very accurate with them. I would like his throwing motion to be changed up a little in the bigs if it's at all possible would give him more velocity, just watch his back leg in the video they fairy out lessoning his momentum on the ball.. Overall a late round steal for someone.

CK, I have seen many other places regard Yates as a quarterback that will be taken no earlier than the 4th or 5th round. Personally, my favorite 2nd or 3rd round option is Christian Ponder. If Ponder shows that he can fully recover from his throwing arm injuries, he has the smarts and the football IQ to do great things in the NFL.
Being a UF fan, I have seen alot of Ponder. I remember when I first saw him I was thinking this guy is going to make it to the NFL. Ability wise, I do not think that anything has dissuaded me from that view. But here is the thing, his injury history is scary. He has been injured alot. The last injury to his throwing shoulder gives me more than a little pause. I have read reports that as long as he gets the rest he should be fine, but I do not like guys that have multiple injuries-especially at that position.

Yeah. Well, there were many places that considered Jake Locker for shoe-in for top QB status, until they caught up to me. And there were many places that considered Cam Newton a borderline 1st/2nd rounder, until they caught up to me on that one. So what are they going to catch up to me on next?

Listen, if I wasn't comfortable making evaluations on my own that can stand quite apart from the rest of the crowd, I wouldn't do so. I'm pretty comfortable with that. So when someone comes at me on one of my opinions and says yeah but so and so rates the guy this way, I don't know what you expect me to say. You expect me to change my mind? If I change my mind, it's for my reasons, like I recently began changing my mind on Nate Enderle, because I'm tired of the bad decision making which keeps showing up over and over and over again.

Hey CK, have you ever kept record of your hits and misses over the past couple of years???

I'd be curious to see what your success rate has been.. as I really enjoy reading your perspective.

Back
Top Bottom