This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
### The Dolphins learned Sunday night they will pick 12th in April's draft. San Diego, Miami, Tampa, Carolina and New Orleans all finished 7-9. The draft order among those five teams was determined on strength of schedule. The Chargers pick 11th, followed by Miami, Tampa, Carolina and the Saints.
The last time Miami picked 12th (in 2010), the Dolphins traded the pick to San Diego for the 28th pick (Jared Odrick) and the 40th choice (Koa Misi). Miami passed on Dez Bryant and Jason Pierre Paul, among others, at 12, that year. The last two players selected 12th were defensive lineman Fletcher Cox by the Eagles (2011) and quarterback Christian Ponder by the Vikings (2010).

Instead of staying put and taking Pierre Paul he traded down and took Odrick. Instead of taking Gronk he took Misi. He passed on Bryant. He has no clue to evaluate impact talent. Good luck this offseason. Were all gonna sit back and hope he takes a big time WR, pass rusher, or CB witht the 12th pick but I can see it now. Ireland will either stay put and take and OL or trade back to accumilate more picks and draft more scrubs.

two guys who contribute alot now. took a while...but, trade down get tyler eifert is in the cards. then extra pick for T. Cant lose. you can pass on a good player, but makes no diff if the player is not something we really need.

IMO, Kennan Allen is no better than Stedman Bailey and Bailey stock likely to rise after combine.

two guys who contribute alot now. took a while...but, trade down get tyler eifert is in the cards. then extra pick for T. Cant lose. you can pass on a good player, but makes no diff if the player is not something we really need.

two are extremely serviceable but that's all. I could care less if they contribute. So what john denny contributes. Odrick is a 3rd round talent that rarely flashes impact ability and misi is an extremely average LB. I would much rather have JPP or Gronk.

two are extremely serviceable but that's all. I could care less if they contribute. So what john denny contributes. Odrick is a 3rd round talent that rarely flashes impact ability and misi is an extremely average LB. I would much rather have JPP or Gronk.

so who do you want? quit badmouthing others while not giving insight please!!! Pierre Paul's name not mentioned much this year. notice that?

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

and gronk had injury issues. well documented. but hindsight is great thing you know? plus he plays for the best QB and system in the league. Its not just about talent.

I'm already worry about what Ireland might do. I hope he proves me wrong and has an awesome free agency and draft but I'm not holding my breath. I keep thinking we're gonna do great but I'm worry he's going to mess everything up.

Ozzy rules!!

We should take the best player available at 12. We need elite talent across the board. The pattern of plugging holes with 2 tier talent only goes so far. We have a solid team, but we need to grab great players.
At 12, usually there is an elite RB, LB, DE, TE, SS, or the 2nd best WR still on the board. Team usually make a run at QB's, LT's, CB, and WR so there should be a player we can use.

### The Dolphins learned Sunday night they will pick 12th in April's draft. San Diego, Miami, Tampa, Carolina and New Orleans all finished 7-9. The draft order among those five teams was determined on strength of schedule. The Chargers pick 11th, followed by Miami, Tampa, Carolina and the Saints.
The last time Miami picked 12th (in 2010), the Dolphins traded the pick to San Diego for the 28th pick (Jared Odrick) and the 40th choice (Koa Misi). Miami passed on Dez Bryant and Jason Pierre Paul, among others, at 12, that year. The last two players selected 12th were defensive lineman Fletcher Cox by the Eagles (2011) and quarterback Christian Ponder by the Vikings (2010).

Instead of staying put and taking Pierre Paul he traded down and took Odrick. Instead of taking Gronk he took Misi. He passed on Bryant. He has no clue to evaluate impact talent. Good luck this offseason. Were all gonna sit back and hope he takes a big time WR, pass rusher, or CB witht the 12th pick but I can see it now. Ireland will either stay put and take and OL or trade back to accumilate more picks and draft more scrubs.

The best organizations build through the draft and a lot will trade down to stock pile picks. Look at the Pats. The more picks you have the better. The success rate of hitting a draft pick is not good, so if you have more picks you increase the likelihood of success. Nothings a guarantee. Look at some drafts 5-6 years ago and half the first round picks are not on rosters.

Trading down can be a good philosophy if players on the board are over valued and you can still put yourself in the spot to get a player you want later in the draft.

I disagree about ODrick, he is just playing out of position. He is a 3-4 DT, not a DE. Misi is not a force at the LOS, but he is effective in coverage as a LB. That was his strength when he was drafted. He is a good player, but he is not the right part for this 4-3 defense. He was drafted to play OLB in the 3-4. He is still servicable, and maybe have some trade value if the team decides to go that way. Probably not this year though. .02

We should take the best player available at 12. We need elite talent across the board. The pattern of plugging holes with 2 tier talent only goes so far. We have a solid team, but we need to grab great players.
At 12, usually there is an elite RB, LB, DE, TE, SS, or the 2nd best WR still on the board. Team usually make a run at QB's, LT's, CB, and WR so there should be a player we can use.
What if there is not "elite talent" at a position of need at 12? "Elite Talent" is a very subjective term. Some would have said that Ted Ginn Jr was an "elite talent". Personally I'm not extremely impressed with this class of WR's. If we trade down it could be a good decision.

Also I think drafting a RB with the 12 pick is foolish. Its a passing league and Rb's are a dime a dozen and usually only last 5 years. I agree with the Parcels/Ireland philosophy, no RB at 12. For every top 5 RB selected anyone could name 5 later round picks that are very productive.

And what if nyg had missed on jpp???

Id be al for trading down again this year.
i think theres a good chance if we dont trade down, the board may dictate an ol pick at 12... im not confident a premiere edge rusher will be.there at 12.... trade down and get a 3rd, 2nd rounder???? Where there is a ungodly amount of good talent this year, many.of which can fill a need for us.... sign me up.

2 words... Cordarrelle. Patterson.

Either trade back and pick this guy up or take him where we are. Can you say PLAYMAKER?

I agree 100% best player available, this team needs playmakers at alot of positions that you mentioned.

We need studs on this team,

Manti Te'o would be nice after watching Danny Woodhead running on us yesterday

Hindsight is such an interesting/convenient tool used by fools.

Odrick and Misi are decent to solid picks, but neither is a play maker. We have very little of guys who can take over games. I understand "play makers" is a subjective term and the draft is a crap shoot, and yada yada yada..... but I see other teams find guys who make immediate impacts all the time. Decent starters are great to build with, but you also need play makers or you will have a mediocre team that will go 7-9 every year.

We're an average team. That's all. We draft average players. That's all I know Ireland for. He has yet to draft a big time play maker. His two play makers were traded for and a FA from Canada.

Back
Top Bottom