This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick

I think the Dolphins could really benefit from a power back. Would you give any consideration to Montee Ball, especially since 1) Daniel Thomas is looking like a bust and 2) WR could be addressed in free agency?

Hindsight is such an interesting/convenient tool used by fools.

Leading up and during these drafts, people here were SCREAMING for guys like Earl Thomas, TY Hilton, Gronk, Michael Wallace, Jimmy Graham. Its not hindsight.

Ireland's style is clear: invest heavily in the trenches(which apparently are still a mess), then pluck "acorns" at the skill positions, then wonder in front of a national audience why he only has 4's, 5's, and 6's at WR.

Leading up and during these drafts, people here were SCREAMING for guys like Earl Thomas, TY Hilton, Gronk, Michael Wallace, Jimmy Graham. Its not hindsight.

Ireland's style is clear: invest heavily in the trenches(which apparently are still a mess), then pluck "acorns" at the skill positions, then wonder in front of a national audience why he only has 4's, 5's, and 6's at WR.

Agreed. A lot of us wanted those guys at the time. It's homerish for someone to say it's hindsight to excuse Ireland.

Completely agree.

I think everyone here would love for our general manager to display alittle foresight. Sadly, Ireland uses hindsight and only worries about yesterdays holes. Its that type of foolishness which leads to Marc Colombo being signed then having to spend a second round pick on Jonathan Martin.

Completely agree.

I think everyone here would love for our general manager to display alittle foresight. Sadly, Ireland uses hindsight and only worries about yesterdays holes. Its that type of foolishness which leads to Marc Colombo being signed then having to spend a second round pick on Jonathan Martin.

The 2012 draft was mainly a foresight draft. Many key free agents in 2012 had replacements drafted. Now, it's a different story if those picks worked out, but the intent is plainly visible.

Jake Long... drafted Jonathan Martin
Anthony Fasano... drafted Michael Egnew
Reggie Bush... drafted Lamar Miller
Brian Harline... drafted Rishard Matthews and BJ Cunningham
Randy Starks... drafted Kheeston Randall.

Lol I agree that we missed on a lot of great talent throughout the years. I also think if we pass on Patterson we will be watching him in highlight reels for another team every Sunday wondering why we took a Ginn-esque receiver instead of him.

Somebody email Jeff a youtube video of C. Patterson and J. Hunter :lol:

Ty Hilton was a third round draft pick which means he was passed by twice by each team, so everyone who needs a WR was a fool not to draft a guy with one good season? If that is the case than you are saying that the people on this board would be better NFL GM's than most everyone in the league.

Let look at who's playing well right now......ya, that's the guy we should have drafted. I can be a GM in the NFL too!!!

Ty Hilton was a third round draft pick which means he was passed by twice by each team, so everyone who needs a WR was a fool not to draft a guy with one good season? If that is the case than you are saying that the people on this board would be better NFL GM's than most everyone in the league.

Yup.

I asked you this in another thread and you avoided it, but do 2 wrongs make a right?

General managers should be held accountable for their mistakes. If they pass on a player they could need, they should be held responsible. The excuse of "everyone else did it to!!!!" is laughable. Its high schoolish.

And i'll say it outright: there is a good number of posters on here that could absolutely be better general managers than Jeff Ireland. They have publically proven to be vastly more accurate in their predictions than our paid GM. The "armchair general manager" snide comments are also hilarious. If these "armchair GM's" are more accurate than Ireland, doesnt that say more about the guy who is actually the general manager than the people on this forum?

The guy played in our backyard for Pete's sake. We should have at least as much info on the guy than other teams. Ireland may or may not have wanted him in the draft, but he asked for him as part of the Vontae trade and got rejected. I wonder if he was targeting Hilton in the 4th just like he targeted Graham a round later than he was taken. Day late and a dollar short.

Oh interesting. Because I clearly remember screaming for Dez at 12, and begging for Hernandez in the 3rd during the 2010 draft. I guess I'm a fool cuz I'd rather have explosive playmakers than plodding bums that wouldn't start on good teams. Odrick is pretty good, but Misi and Jerry are both awful. Given what we SHOULD have had from that draft, the 2010 draft was an embarrassment and the fact that Ireland is still our GM is a joke.

Completely different scenario from what OP is mentioning. We traded down because we didn't have a 2nd round pick. This year we have 2 2nds so the need to trade down isn't as a great. In fact I would say trading up is a more likely scenario

Hindsight is twenty twenty...jpp was seen as a project...and the team that took him took him as a luxury because they had so much talent at de...gronk was coming off an injury...its not like everyone thought he was going to be great...oh yea and tom brady is his qb...that helps a bit...

Jeff ireland does not get a pass but most of irelands top picks were players that tony coached that year in the senior bowl...

Oddrick at one time was actually thought to be a top ten pick...so we when everything shook out those players we got were great value...we also got dobbins in the trade..a player who has not worked out for us..but was pretty good for sd and the texans...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

two guys who contribute alot now. took a while...but, trade down get tyler eifert is in the cards. then extra pick for T. Cant lose. you can pass on a good player, but makes no diff if the player is not something we really need.

IMO, Kennan Allen is no better than Stedman Bailey and Bailey stock likely to rise after combine.
Typical Jeff Ireland logic right here. Keenan Allen is 6'3, 220 and plays similar to Brandon Marshall without the attitude problem, yet he's just marginally better than Bailey, a 5'10 guy who we could probably get in the 2nd round anyway.

Additionally, nobody else besides yourself would trade Earl Thomas, who's made 2 pro bowls already, for 2 "serviceable" (mediocre) players in Misi and Odrick.

They had already squandered a second for Brandon Marshall in that draft. Then they drafted Odrick who was redundant to a solid player in Kendall Langford. Misi is an average player. In the 3rd they drafted John Jerry over Jimmy Graham.

They should not have traded for Marshall.

They should have stayed at 12 and taken Earl Thomas or Dez Bryant.

Instead of redundancy in Odrick, they could have resigned Langford.

Geez, this isn't brain surgery, Ginger. None of the foregoing requires any hindsight. Marshall was a known malcontent but Miami made the mistake to trade for a guy with emotional problems. They squandered two 2's. Then Odrick was a luxury when they already had Langford. You get no where when you draft redundancies. They had holes they needed to fill. Ireland was obviously looking heavily into Dez. If Dez isn't your cup of tea, Earl Thomas would have filled a tremendous need. Redundancy plus an average linebacker with off the field problems (Misi) for the 12th pick.

Back
Top Bottom