this would have been tannehill's breakout season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

CorduroyG

Rookie
Reaction score
2nd year under gase, and by the middle of last year he was really starting to play at a pro bowl level. starting with the steeler game in week 6 he only had 1 subpar game (baltimore). his average qb rating in the last 8 games he played was 103 (for a little perspective a 103 qb rating for the full year in 2016 would be a top 5 rating behind only ryan, brady, prescott, and rodgers). i remember making a post on here during the 49er game that hes been throwing absolute darts, and if you give him time hes gonna pick you apart. i really believe if he didnt get hurt that would have continued the last month of the season and this would be the year we see him make the leap from serviceable qb to at least a top 10 and possibly top 5 qb with these weapons.

too bad, this injury is gonna set him back a couple years, its not like hes gonna come back next year without missing a beat even if 100% healthy.

He's never been top 10 and likely never will be. Give me Lamar Jackson in the draft, him with Gase can be a match made in heaven

2nd year under gase, and by the middle of last year he was really starting to play at a pro bowl level. starting with the steeler game in week 6 he only had 1 subpar game (baltimore). his average qb rating in the last 8 games he played was 103 (for a little perspective a 103 qb rating for the full year in 2016 would be a top 5 rating behind only ryan, brady, prescott, and rodgers). i remember making a post on here during the 49er game that hes been throwing absolute darts, and if you give him time hes gonna pick you apart. i really believe if he didnt get hurt that would have continued the last month of the season and this would be the year we see him make the leap from serviceable qb to at least a top 10 and possibly top 5 qb with these weapons.

too bad, this injury is gonna set him back a couple years, its not like hes gonna come back next year without missing a beat even if 100% healthy.

I won't take a position either way on whether this would've been his breakout season, because nobody knows with any certainty. However, an important piece of information to consider with regard to the boldfaced portion above is that Tannehill had a similar upsurge in performance during his last 13 games of the season in his first year under Bill Lazor in 2014, only to decrease in that regard during 2015 as a whole.

So, he's had a similar upsurge in performance that wasn't sustained. We're not looking at a simple upward trajectory from his rookie year until now.

I think its possible he comes in next year and looks good, would not be the first guy. I suspect he'll still learn a thing or two being around the team and a true vet QB this year.

The flipside is he may never be the same again, but could go either way.

I won't take a position either way on whether this would've been his breakout season, because nobody knows with any certainty. However, an important piece of information to consider with regard to the boldfaced portion above is that Tannehill had a similar upsurge in performance during his last 13 games of the season in his first year under Bill Lazor in 2014, only to decrease in that regard during 2015 as a whole.

So, he's had a similar upsurge in performance that wasn't sustained. We're not looking at a simple upward trajectory from his rookie year until now.

Lazor was a horrible OC. Never improved upon or tweaked his scheme once defenses notified it's glaring weaknesses. Had nothing to do with our personnel, it was all system related.

I have no doubt this was going to be a special year for Tannehill, it's a big shame that he got hurt, and will miss the year.

To me Tannehill had a good chance of reaching the 30s in TDs this year, while probably continuing to keep his INTs in the low teens, with probably on the 4000 yard range.

This injury will now become a huge question mark, with a short window in the Offensive talent, so Miami will need to get a QB next year to take the back up position, and become insurance just in case Tannehill can't come back 100%.

The offense was at the bottom of the league in scoring, passing, and 3 and outs.... and this is a breakout season?

31st in total 3rd downs converted(69)....31st in the NFL

Total Overall first downs 278 (31st again)

Offensive plays per game ("LAST" in the NFL with 57)

Offensive time of possession (27th)

4TH downs converted (32nd last in the NFL)

Yards per game average (25th )

1ST quarter points per game (31st)

2nd Quarter Points/Game (24th)

1st quarter time of possession ( 32nd LAST in the NFL)

1st Half Time of Possession Share % (31st)

Team QB Sacked Percentage (23rd)

Passing First Downs per Game (27th)

Team Rushing First Downs per Game (22nd)

Back
Top Bottom