this would have been tannehill's breakout season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CorduroyG, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CorduroyG

CorduroyG Rookie

2nd year under gase, and by the middle of last year he was really starting to play at a pro bowl level. starting with the steeler game in week 6 he only had 1 subpar game (baltimore). his average qb rating in the last 8 games he played was 103 (for a little perspective a 103 qb rating for the full year in 2016 would be a top 5 rating behind only ryan, brady, prescott, and rodgers). i remember making a post on here during the 49er game that hes been throwing absolute darts, and if you give him time hes gonna pick you apart. i really believe if he didnt get hurt that would have continued the last month of the season and this would be the year we see him make the leap from serviceable qb to at least a top 10 and possibly top 5 qb with these weapons.

too bad, this injury is gonna set him back a couple years, its not like hes gonna come back next year without missing a beat even if 100% healthy.

2. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

Last season was his breakout season.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  3. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

More like a break-away season, Queasy Joe held him and this entire team back for far too long imho.

4. CorduroyG

CorduroyG Rookie

breakout half a season

josephreese likes this.
  5. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

It was the season during which I think we saw his potential realized, but I see where you're going with this, and I agree that it would have been so sweet to see him play like that all year. Cheers.

CorduroyG likes this.
  6. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

He's never been top 10 and likely never will be. Give me Lamar Jackson in the draft, him with Gase can be a match made in heaven

Elle Clouds and DANTODUPER like this.
  7. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The offense was at the bottom of the league in scoring, passing, and 3 and outs.... and this is a breakout season?

Dolph N.Fan, Martel13, gunn34 and 6 others like this.
  8. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

I won't take a position either way on whether this would've been his breakout season, because nobody knows with any certainty. However, an important piece of information to consider with regard to the boldfaced portion above is that Tannehill had a similar upsurge in performance during his last 13 games of the season in his first year under Bill Lazor in 2014, only to decrease in that regard during 2015 as a whole.

So, he's had a similar upsurge in performance that wasn't sustained. We're not looking at a simple upward trajectory from his rookie year until now.

DANTODUPER likes this.
  9. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

I think its possible he comes in next year and looks good, would not be the first guy. I suspect he'll still learn a thing or two being around the team and a true vet QB this year.

The flipside is he may never be the same again, but could go either way.

gunn34 likes this.
  10. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

To be continued 2018 :)

damaster21 likes this.
  11. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Lazor was a horrible OC. Never improved upon or tweaked his scheme once defenses notified it's glaring weaknesses. Had nothing to do with our personnel, it was all system related.

mnphinfan and Spiff like this.
  12. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Pretty much

By then he will be at least 5 months removed from surgery and well into rehab.

damaster21 likes this.
  13. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I have no doubt this was going to be a special year for Tannehill, it's a big shame that he got hurt, and will miss the year.

To me Tannehill had a good chance of reaching the 30s in TDs this year, while probably continuing to keep his INTs in the low teens, with probably on the 4000 yard range.

This injury will now become a huge question mark, with a short window in the Offensive talent, so Miami will need to get a QB next year to take the back up position, and become insurance just in case Tannehill can't come back 100%.

damaster21 likes this.
  14. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

31st in total 3rd downs converted(69)....31st in the NFL

Total Overall first downs 278 (31st again)

Offensive plays per game ("LAST" in the NFL with 57)

Offensive time of possession (27th)

4TH downs converted (32nd last in the NFL)

Yards per game average (25th )

1ST quarter points per game (31st)

2nd Quarter Points/Game (24th)

1st quarter time of possession ( 32nd LAST in the NFL)

1st Half Time of Possession Share % (31st)

Team QB Sacked Percentage (23rd)

Passing First Downs per Game (27th)

Team Rushing First Downs per Game (22nd)

15. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

except his equivalent last half of a season he was top 8

mnphinfan likes this.
  16. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

I've been saying this but PPL on this board are acting like Gase turned us into an offensive Juggernaut last year SMH.

miamiron likes this.
  17. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

he broke out last year

fishfanmiami and josephreese like this.
  18. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

TH was bad in the most important QB stats, 3rd down & 4th quarter. He would def have taken a leap forward, but he was not about to light it up. To me his ceiling was a game manager basically.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Cutler. All things considered, Cutler's best is better than TH's best. Now lets see if Gase gets that out of him.

Casas9425, gunn34 and Yessir like this.
  19. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

His own fault for not getting surgery.

MiamiDolfan85 and Goin` Deep like this.
  20. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

What the working definition of "breakout?' Did Dalton or Cousins ever "breakout?" At what moment did Wilson or Luck "breakout?"

21. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Give me Tannehill and Mason Rudolph to groom and I'm a happy camper.

22. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In this case it probably means bad skin or acne.

23. PhinsAAA

PhinsAAA Well-Known Member

I'll take the sliver lining here with Tannehill missing this season. Two things I can see as potential pluses. First RT has taken a beating thus far in his career so maybe the year off will be good for his body and possibly prolong his career. Second and this one may be out there but I think being around a guy like Cutler hopefully could rub off just a smudge of that gunslinger mentality which I think he could use a bit more of honestly.

24. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

He is 100% our starter next year. It don't matter how good Cutler plays.

FinfanInBuffalo and damaster21 like this.
  25. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

True.(Dwight voice)

26. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

I like Ryan and I support him. But, let's be honest. Every year for the last 6 years was going to be his "breakout season". The Tammy we saw last year is the Tanny we will see for the rest of his career IMO. Pretty good but not great. Can win a SB.

27. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'm sorry but can't get on this theoretical hype train about how his half a season plays out in a full 16 scenario.

What's ifs and could have beens don't do much for me. I'm rooting for a Cutler breakout season (half joking half serious) and ready for a 2018 Tannehill in my pocket.

Yessir likes this.
  28. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

If you felt that Tannehill was on the verge of some 35+ passing TD All-Pro season, you were just setting yourself up for major disappointment to be honest lol.

You were going to see much of the same as last year in terms of his individual production. And a good balance between run/pass.

Rugged Man likes this.
  29. DANTODUPER

DANTODUPER Scout Team

Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton and Eli Manning. Tanny is on that group. QBs with long solid careers that would never make you feel they can win it by themselves, not top 10. But if you surround them with lots of talent AND a top defense they can make a push for a deep playoff run or even a Super Bowl.

gunn34 likes this.
  30. Sons Of Shula

A jump in overall production was to be expected due to the first 6-8 games of the regular season being slowed by the adjustment period to a new system.

31. Sons Of Shula

You just described every QB on every team in the NFL.

32. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Unless Cutler beasts out I don't believe for a second that we'll move on from Tannehill because Gase seems to be loyal to a fault (if reports are true he's reached out to every QB he's ever worked with since being here, including Kyle Orton), but the QB market will be very interesting with the likes of Dalton, Cousins, Alex Smith, Garapolo, AJ McCarren, Teddy Bridgewater, maybe even Drew Brees and probably a few other high draft pick reclamation projects like Bortles all out there. Plus Cutler will look at least decent statistically, so he'll likely get some interest as well.

33. Sons Of Shula

There's no saving Bortles.

34. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

After watching all that bad QB play in week 1, Ill take Tannehill all day. Made me appreciate him that much more. He is definitely top 10 material. He already was in last years stretch. Stats out the window he was playing clutch and dropping dimes last year. Youre gonna need a solid D and stop the run regardless of who your QB is.

35. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

A lot of these negative stats I am seeing have a lot to do with how we started the season due to offensive line issues, including up to and during the Titans game when we had Thomas at Guard and freaking Turner at LT. After they were let go and the OL got healthy, we went on a run and things got a lot better. During the first 5 games we averaged 16 points per game during the rest of Tannehill's games we averaged 24 points per game. To put that in perspective, we averaged just over 21 points per game when we won the AFC East with Pennington. All the Tanne bashers like to leave the facts out. Anyone who has even a slight clue about football knows Tanne is definitely a top 10 QB and this team's main issue since 2012 has been the OL. Tannehill's win record when Pouncey, James, and Albert were playing is amazing....when those players get hurt, especially 2 or 3 of them....you can put Tom Brady back there and he ain't doing crap! Same issue for 6 years now and people still bashing Tanne, SMH!

FinfanInBuffalo and damaster21 like this.
  36. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

What would it tell you if there are a good number of QBs in the league who perform significantly better than Tannehill with poorer offensive lines, or with similar numbers of injuries on their offensive lines?

The problem with the sort of perspective above is that it doesn't explore the customary functioning of offensive lines throughout the league, and the relationship between that functioning and QB play. One simply assumes that "the norm" in the league is a good offensive line with no injuries, and that the best QBs in the league simply benefit from those surroundings. Therefore if we can get the Dolphins' offensive line to stay healthy and play in such a way, Tannehill will become one of the league's best QBs.

What if the reality instead is that the league's best QBs play as well as they do with offensive lines that aren't the league's best, and that have relatively frequent injuries to their players? What if you gave the best QBs in the league the "healthy" version of the Dolphins' line Tannehill has enjoyed at times during the past few years, and it vaulted their play to a level that made Tannehill's better play with those healthy lines look comparatively average?

37. Sons Of Shula

I would need to know who their coaches were at the time.

38. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I would tell you the only person that this applies to is Russell Wilson and the BIGGEST difference with him is how he is receiving pressure, typically from one side, not multiple angles like Tannehill has. Tannehill's entire career has been marked by an OL that ranks in the very bottom of the league. Even with all starters in they are still mid 20's. Despite that, he was like 3rd or 4th in the league in yards passed in his first 4 years behind the likes of Manning and Marino. Your post makes it sound like there are a lot of QBs out there who play well behind bad O Lines which is absolutely not even remotely in the realm of reality!

39. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Again, isn't Tannehill something like 11-1 or 2 with all the OL healthy and starting.. and that includes slugs like Turner, Clabo and Thomas. I don't care who you sub for Tannehill, with the exception of only Brady, any other QB would be hard-pressed to surpass that percentage!!

And in '14 and '15, considering the fins OLs were respectively ranked #32 and #31, you'd be challenged to find QBs with worse front line support anywhere.

mnphinfan and 67Stang like this.
  40. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

that's the problem with these Qwinz gurus, they think a quarterback can win by themselves, no defense, no running game, second rate receivers, they should be able to overcome all those deficiencies.