Thoughts on Brandin Cook? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Brandin Cook?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Brandin Cooks?

A year ago, the draft forum was flooded with Tavon Austin supporters. Many wanted Miami to take him in the draft. Brandin Cooks is a similar player, but I think better in many ways. Cooks is more like Steve Smith in that he can go up and get the ball and win some battle there despite being just 5-10. Cooks also adjusts to the ball well, runs good routes and is always seemingly open. He doesn't offer the running back option that Austin has, but plays with similar speed. Cooks in the slot for Miami would be fun to watch. I like Gibson there, but Cook could be really special.

My first choice for the Dolphins at #19 is CJ Mosley. I think he's the perfect fit for what this team needs on defense. I'm also fully aware the team needs offensive linemen so wouldn't be upset with Zach Martin or a trade down scenario to get another offensive lineman and more picks. But, if Mosley, Martin and Ebron are gone, Cooks starts looking pretty good.

What are some opinions on this player from people much more connected than I am?

He's a stud and should absolutely be in play at 19. I personally think Allen Robinson/Jordan Matthews fits Tannehills strengths better...but I agree on your assessment. He is better than Tavon Austin was coming out..just doesn't have quite the hype.

He's in the mix for me. He'd give us a weapon that could hurt teams for playing soft over the middle - which Wallace dictates, assuming Tannehill is able to hit a deep ball or two.

I watched a lot of Cooks and he is a tremendous talent. I'd love to add him, but see it as a luxury at the moment.

He's in the mix for me. He'd give us a weapon that could hurt teams for playing soft over the middle - which Wallace dictates, assuming Tannehill is able to hit a deep ball or two.

J - I agree with you conceptually in as far as attacking the weak middle, however - would you not prefer a bigger seam busting TE to do the damage over the middle, but also assist with Run game variations, either by blocking prowess, but from my standpoint, more importantly from a package/formation flexibility standpoint.

I still believe that our best formation/package is 11 as we really do put the defense in conflict by alignment/responsibility and with outside players such as Wallace [Speed] and Hartline [outside the numbers work] should enable players like Gibson/Matthews the ability to work the short/long inside/outside aspect which influences defenses into Nickel and then balanced with a seam busting/stretch the inside of the field while also being able to assist up front TE - really gives the Defense an awful lot to think about.

You bring in a Brandon Cooks, to me, means you have to remove one of your 3 Wide Set - unless you go 4 wide which I don't think they want to do.

Curious as to your thoughts?

Very deep WR class could push Cooks down a little bit further than in most drafts, although I have a feeling he gets swooped up before we're on the clock, he would def be a guy we would have to take serious considerations at 19. Can run all the routes with excellent hands, I would like to see us get a guy a bit bigger but there's no denying this kids talents

I like him and would be into him at 19. He reminds me more of Julian Edelman, just with added explosion as a homerun threat. So light on his feet.

I think people are leaning too much towards the Percy Harvin kind of comparison. He's not going to be that kind of player, imo, though admittedly I don't know if anyone will be the player Harvin is when he's healthy (just unreal). Anyways...Cooks is a much craftier route runner than Tavon Austin. So much so that I think he'll play on the outside a lot...Though not as much as Steve Smith does because Cooks isn't half as strong as Smith - this (strength) would be my only concern. But he gets consistent separation whether he's short or deep, phenomenal RAC guy obviously, and he seems to use his small body/frame as well as he can, getting position when the ball's in the air, getting low through contact, falling forward, things like that.

Completely different receiver than Tavon Austin stop comparing the two just because they are both quick.

J - I agree with you conceptually in as far as attacking the weak middle, however - would you not prefer a bigger seam busting TE to do the damage over the middle, but also assist with Run game variations, either by blocking prowess, but from my standpoint, more importantly from a package/formation flexibility standpoint.

I still believe that our best formation/package is 11 as we really do put the defense in conflict by alignment/responsibility and with outside players such as Wallace [Speed] and Hartline [outside the numbers work] should enable players like Gibson/Matthews the ability to work the short/long inside/outside aspect which influences defenses into Nickel and then balanced with a seam busting/stretch the inside of the field while also being able to assist up front TE - really gives the Defense an awful lot to think about.

You bring in a Brandon Cooks, to me, means you have to remove one of your 3 Wide Set - unless you go 4 wide which I don't think they want to do.

Curious as to your thoughts?

I wouldn't shed tears for any of Hartline, Gibson, or Matthews losing snaps. I wouldn't hate Ebron at 19, but I don't think he's as good as Cooks. I'd feel a little better about Amaro in the 2nd (I still maintain he's an underrated blocker) than Ebron at 19. But I think we're good enough at TE. Given the talent in this draft and what we're working with, I don't see any TE's that I need on my team.

I'd prefer to go D in RD 1 and RD 2. My perfect first two rounds would look like:

1. Shazier
2. Ward/Bucannon

But I don't know that any of those players will be available at those spots. I would consider both Ward and Bucannon at 19 - assuming Shazier is gone.

But Shazier is probably the only LB I'd like the fit for at 19 (not buying Mosley that high; Mack will be long gone, as will Barr, and it's not like we don't already have a SLB/DE hybrid in Jordan - though, he's not on their level as a prospect). I'm also not thrilled about Clinton-Dix (wouldn't take him at 19 and wouldn't love him in the 2nd), and I don't view Pryor as a great compliment to Jones (both ideally SS's).

So while guys like Lee, Moncrief, and Cooks (along with some CB's, DT's, Ebron, etc.) aren't my favorite options at 19, they're still legitimate options.

I think if we have a settled and well-performing ZBS o-line, full of fluid athletes with pulling ability and second-level blocking skills, then Brandin Cooks becomes really interesting. His real value to me is moving him around, hitting him with short passes, sweeps, swings. He's a motion guy and you want to work him into space where he can showcase his burst, his agility and his RAC potential.

Sure, he's an interesting downfield option too, but I think you can achieve what he would bring with players already on our roster. We lack a guy at either RB or WR who we can work a short passing game off.

But as long as our o-line is a total work in progress, I'm just not sure we could put together the blocking schemes needed to spring a guy like Cooks into the backfield. Our WRs as a group are horrible blockers also.

Therefore, if I'm taking him, there's a second layer of risk attached (the risk we're not ready for him as well as him not being ready for the NFL).

I will say that I believe we need to be pushing for guys with elite traits and playmaking abilities, to add to our solid but unspectacular roster. Cooks does fit that description, so I wouldn't rule him out even if we don't have a suitable o-line for him as yet.

One thing I love about Cooks is he is an active blocker. He'll really try to stick his face into a guy to break out the RB.

Back
Top Bottom