Thoughts on Pat Devlin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Pat Devlin?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Devlin is now 26, and entering into his forth year, without ever playing a NFL snap. Philbin loves him but, has never played him.
This is somewhat confusing for Phans who question Matt Moore's contract, as well as drafting a QB in the mid-late rounds.

I have no idea what to think, as he has played less than Dallas' 2 snaps, and has taken 3 years to do it. This is not an Aaron Rogers deal.

So, what do we do with him this year? Is he worth keeping? Can he replace Moore as a legit backup?

My thoughts on Pat Devlin are that he's a 3rd string qb and we don't really need to have a thread about him.

Sorry you disagree but, he does affect Moore and the draft, which does make a difference. Mybe you should not have posted to make the thread go away sooner. lol

I suspect he isn't the answer (at backup) they paid Moore a ton of cash to sit on the bench last year and now they appear to be looking to bring in competition for the 3rd spot. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting cut at some point

as I've stated before, I would trade/cut Moore, make Devlin the #2 and draft a late round prospect at QB.

Sorry you disagree but, he does affect Moore and the draft, which does make a difference. Mybe you should not have posted to make the thread go away sooner. lol

You asked for my thoughts, so I gave you my thoughts. Our backup qb situation is the least of my concerns regarding this team. As far as I'm concerned, every starting position, including kicker, punter, a handful of the special teams players, and our long snapper is more important so that would put this somewhere around #30 if I were to make a list. Now if we were a Super Bowl contender, I'd deem it more important since a good backup qb could save a season in the event the starting qb goes down for a while.

I think if Tannehill were ever hurt and Devlin was the #2 guy, I think we'd probably be screwed

He really didn't take the step I thought he would during training camp and preseason last year. Granted he did get hurt for a little bit which could have been the reason for it.

Here is the thing, I don't see Moore getting cut or traded, so he will likely be the #2 again this season. But Moore is a free agent after this season, so Miami really needs to plan ahead how they want to address the backups to Tannehill in 2015. I think they are doing that by looking at some of these mid round draft prospects. I am now on the fence on whether Devlin can ever become that 2nd string quarterback, I had hopes for it, but I didn't see the improvement I expected last offseason. I think it is possible that if they draft a guy in round 4 or 5 that Devlin could lose his job this season. At the very least, Devlin will face stiff competition this year.

He really didn't take the step I thought he would during training camp and preseason last year. Granted he did get hurt for a little bit which could have been the reason for it.

Here is the thing, I don't see Moore getting cut or traded, so he will likely be the #2 again this season. But Moore is a free agent after this season, so Miami really needs to plan ahead how they want to address the backups to Tannehill in 2015. I think they are doing that by looking at some of these mid round draft prospects. I am now on the fence on whether Devlin can ever become that 2nd string quarterback, I had hopes for it, but I didn't see the improvement I expected last offseason. I think it is possible that if they draft a guy in round 4 or 5 that Devlin could lose his job this season. At the very least, Devlin will face stiff competition this year.

I haven't a clue if he improved or not, as he has never taken a NFL snap. What is Philbin seeing in his praises of the guy?

You asked for my thoughts, so I gave you my thoughts. Our backup qb situation is the least of my concerns regarding this team. As far as I'm concerned, every starting position, including kicker, punter, a handful of the special teams players, and our long snapper is more important so that would put this somewhere around #30 if I were to make a list. Now if we were a Super Bowl contender, I'd deem it more important since a good backup qb could save a season in the event the starting qb goes down for a while.

Agreed but, it's a very slow time, and thought this may be a bit better than Chad in the CFL, shutting down CJ, and Morris as a possible draft FA pickup for Phans to talk about.

He is 3rd string and sucks. If he was anything back-up worthy we would cut Moore before now. Look to upgrade the back up spot

I think they need to look at another QB this year. Moore or Devlin most likely won't be with us next year so we need to look for another #2 or #3 QB. It probably isn't that big a deal, but sometimes QB drafted in the lower rounds just need time to develop into NFL ready QB's, like Brady etc... If we draft one before round 5 I have to think the decision makers don't plan on having one of the existing QB's around this year. Someone in the later rounds would have to fight Devlin for the third spot, and if they win, hopefully they have the potential to become a number two.

Thats pretty much how I see it. I believe we will bring in a QB to compete for the 3rd string spot, and move into the 2nd string spot next year.

Back
Top Bottom