Thoughts on Pat Devlin?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Apr 17, 2014.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Devlin is now 26, and entering into his forth year, without ever playing a NFL snap. Philbin loves him but, has never played him.
    This is somewhat confusing for Phans who question Matt Moore's contract, as well as drafting a QB in the mid-late rounds.

I have no idea what to think, as he has played less than Dallas' 2 snaps, and has taken 3 years to do it. This is not an Aaron Rogers deal.

So, what do we do with him this year? Is he worth keeping? Can he replace Moore as a legit backup?

2. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

My thoughts on Pat Devlin are that he's a 3rd string qb and we don't really need to have a thread about him.

3. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Sorry you disagree but, he does affect Moore and the draft, which does make a difference. Mybe you should not have posted to make the thread go away sooner. lol

4. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

I suspect he isn't the answer (at backup) they paid Moore a ton of cash to sit on the bench last year and now they appear to be looking to bring in competition for the 3rd spot. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting cut at some point

5. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

as I've stated before, I would trade/cut Moore, make Devlin the #2 and draft a late round prospect at QB.

6. JTC111

You asked for my thoughts, so I gave you my thoughts. Our backup qb situation is the least of my concerns regarding this team. As far as I'm concerned, every starting position, including kicker, punter, a handful of the special teams players, and our long snapper is more important so that would put this somewhere around #30 if I were to make a list. Now if we were a Super Bowl contender, I'd deem it more important since a good backup qb could save a season in the event the starting qb goes down for a while.

7. JayFin327

JayFin327 Well-Known Member Donator

I think if Tannehill were ever hurt and Devlin was the #2 guy, I think we'd probably be screwed

8. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

He really didn't take the step I thought he would during training camp and preseason last year. Granted he did get hurt for a little bit which could have been the reason for it.

Here is the thing, I don't see Moore getting cut or traded, so he will likely be the #2 again this season. But Moore is a free agent after this season, so Miami really needs to plan ahead how they want to address the backups to Tannehill in 2015. I think they are doing that by looking at some of these mid round draft prospects. I am now on the fence on whether Devlin can ever become that 2nd string quarterback, I had hopes for it, but I didn't see the improvement I expected last offseason. I think it is possible that if they draft a guy in round 4 or 5 that Devlin could lose his job this season. At the very least, Devlin will face stiff competition this year.

9. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

I'll think he'll be gone once we draft Aaron Murray.

10. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I haven't a clue if he improved or not, as he has never taken a NFL snap. What is Philbin seeing in his praises of the guy?

11. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Agreed but, it's a very slow time, and thought this may be a bit better than Chad in the CFL, shutting down CJ, and Morris as a possible draft FA pickup for Phans to talk about.

12. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

He is 3rd string and sucks. If he was anything back-up worthy we would cut Moore before now. Look to upgrade the back up spot

13. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

I'd like that move.

14. FrostyFinFan

FrostyFinFan Well-Known Member

I think they need to look at another QB this year. Moore or Devlin most likely won't be with us next year so we need to look for another #2 or #3 QB. It probably isn't that big a deal, but sometimes QB drafted in the lower rounds just need time to develop into NFL ready QB's, like Brady etc... If we draft one before round 5 I have to think the decision makers don't plan on having one of the existing QB's around this year. Someone in the later rounds would have to fight Devlin for the third spot, and if they win, hopefully they have the potential to become a number two.

15. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Thats pretty much how I see it. I believe we will bring in a QB to compete for the 3rd string spot, and move into the 2nd string spot next year.

16. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

hes a nobody who is an odd space of not good enough to be a backup but good enough to be useful

pat devlin takes snaps in the second half of pre season games and isnt that impressive while doing so.

That is pat Devlins career in a sentence. He gets paid a fortune to do it and I am very jealous

17. justdon

justdon Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.Keep moore and let devlin fight for his spot.

18. GreenMts

GreenMts Seasoned Veteran

Delvin has to go. He is not the answer as long term backup. The team needs to find depth in the position beyond MM.

Draft a QB in any round when he's BPA. We need to draft a qb in mid rounds every 2-3 years regardless of BPA.

To those that think the thread is unimportant, talk to me after RT gets hurt and MM is gone.

19. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

The Phins just brought in Jordan Rodgers to push Devlin so having a plethora of arms in camp isn't a bad thing. Hopefully everything will sort itself out shortly.

20. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I thought taj Boyd was supposed to be a really good prospect at the start of the season what happened to Boyd

21. JTC111

I get that's it's a slow news period, especially with the draft in May this year, but this isn't an issue that should be or even could be decided before we see everyone perform in preseason.

22. KnifeOfTheDead

KnifeOfTheDead Starter

He's a 3rd string QB. That's all I've got. I don't want him as a back up. I'd rather have a developmental project there. I almost hope Philbin thinks he can do something with Jordan Rodgers. Or maybe we draft someone late (Boyd? Franklin? Pachall?) and let him study and get better for a couple years and groom him into a backup.

23. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

Man you guys are hard on Devlin. It's going to take a lot for him to unseat Moore at the 2nd position given Moore's actual game experience and knowledge. For now Devlin is the #3 no more no less. I think they will play him heavy in this preaseason to really evaluate what they have in terms of a potential #2 for 2015 or to create trade buzz if they don't want to keep him around.

24. uk_dolfan

Hard on a guy who has been in the nfl 3 years and has played as many snaps as I have?

joking aside, about the trade buzz thing? if your talking about devlin you need to see a doctor mate

25. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

Draft a kid to compete with Devlin and Moore, that way we'll get a rookie, with a rookie contract for 4 years. Then cut one of the two vets.

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think Moore being on the roster still shows all u need to know about the staff opinion of Devlin.
    He seems ok to me but if they thought he was good they would drop Moore. Moore has very little chance of bringing any return.

27. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

He is useless and is a waste of a roster spot...time to draft another late round QB to replace him.

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

not sure if he is anymore useless than any other third qb. He should know offense so not sure just any late round qb can easily replace him.
    He doesn't hurt our cap.

29. uk_dolfan

I do agree that under most circumstances any 3rd qb is a waste of space. If you have a starter that doesn't have recurring injury issues and an experienced/well paid backup then keep a young guy on the PS and add a wr or something

Devlin has been on the roster for 3 years now, what has he contributed? 0 snaps

30. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I do think by now he should be ready to backup and if he isn't maybe we should move on

31. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Dolphins would've gone 13-3 with him starting. Duh.

32. uk_dolfan

I dont really get what it is devlin has ever done that makes people conformable with him as the backup. All I see is a guy who comes on and looks very very average against third stringers, has a weak arm and always throws a late int In the endzone

Id genuinely love to hear from one of the people who want him as our backup qb.... just why? Pity?

33. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

We're already screwed with Tannehill as our starter.

34. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

yea imagine how much better it would be playing the third best qb on team

35. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Whenever Devlin's name comes up there are 2 - 3 people who come into the discussion with incredible faith in Pat. BG12DM13CP10 (the alphabet guy) is one. I haven't seen enough of Devlin to be able to make an objective assessment, but he must have something for Joe Philbin to want him to stick around. I have seen Devlin interviewed and he is a very classy guy. He's probably good as #3.
    However, if good QBs are dropping in the Draft, it could be prudent to select one. If a player like Aaron Murray is still there in the 4th round, he could be seen as good value as a future QB to develop. At a minimum he could be seen as a future backup QB to save the $5M/season we spend on Matt Moore. While I like Matt and believe he's a perfect backup for Tannehill, he's also not cheap but $5M will be needed in the future to help pay for Tannehill, not just go into insurance. If we draft a player like Murray or McCarron, we still have a year with Moore as the #2. There may also be upside, if he develops. Drafting a mid round QB is the smart strategic planning option.
    What this means is that if we draft a QB, Pat Devlin probably becomes expendable. He is inexpensive, but the drafted QB gets developed and maybe has upside potential. If we don't draft a QB, then we probably keep Devlin. He should be good enough to beat out Jordan Rodgers, but if he's not then his days in the NFL may be limited.

36. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I disagree that he is useless, but lets just say that he is....it would be nice to have that extra roster spot and only carry 2 QBs during the year.

37. So Be

So Be A True Fan

A few friends and I were talking about Devlin, and wondering what Philbin sees in him. I thought maybe someone here might know more but, everyone seems to have the same questions.

38. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Don't you mean 16-3?

39. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Maybe Philbin will hear about this thread, and post something to explain what he sees in him. lol I don't have a clue.

40. JTC111

Who knows? Maybe Devlin keeps the neatest locker Philbin has ever seen.