Thoughts on Rd1 and looking at Rd2-3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Rd1 and looking at Rd2-3

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for Jarrad Davis and I had a feeling that the Lions were going to take him. I would have rather had Watt or Lamp in that spot. I think Watt gives better effort and is a much better run defender. Lamp would have given us probably the best OG in the draft. With Harris, I am hoping he is going to become a better run defender-but that may be wishful thinking. My faith that Grier might actually be better at this than Tannenbaum has definitely taken a hit. We really have to hit a couple of home runs with picks 2 and 3 or this could turn into a train wreck. In round 2, I am thinking Dan Feeney. He is a technician and while not a mauler, I think he is a perfect fit for a zone system. When Ajayi was running his best, we were running zone. I think he will be there at 54. Of course it depends on who comes off the board before him. At 97, I think we have to get help on the back of the defense. So hard to project who will be available, but I think Ahkello Witherspoon, Jourdan Lewis, and Cameron Sutton might still be on the board. Tabor will probably still be there, but his lack of speed scares me. But if he plays off-man, I think his instincts and route recognition will help. Haden ran slow at the combine when he came out of UF and it has not hurt him. So who knows. We could go for a FS, maybe Marcus Maye or Tedric Thompson. But again, you do not know who is going to be available. But I think CB is a bigger need.

I wish we had more picks in rounds 2 and 3.

I think the obvious play is going best OG in round 2 and upgrading the slot cb in round 3 with corn elder. I love the tenacity Elder brings and his "don't give a ****" attitude when it comes to being physical and knocking people around

Lamp won't be there for our 2nd pick, I believe he will be an early pick in round 2.
Agree thou that we do need a guard on day 2, and an ILB/safety.

2 of those 3 spots will be satisfying.

The Harris pick is suspect because I'm not sure he sees the field full time. Will he beat out Branch or Hayes? What are these so-called adjustments to the scheme that Grier keeps mentioning that justify taking another DE that is weak at setting the edge?

I would have preferred Lamp (someone to help sustain the run game) or Foster (someone to help stop the run game) in the 1st round. I think there are other DE prospects that would have been available in the 2nd round to develop behind the starters.

In the 2nd round, I'm looking for players that will help stop the run (McDowell, Cunningham, McMillan) or players the sustain the run (Elflein, Feeney).

The way the picks are falling, we need Kizer and Webb, plus a couple of unexpected wide receivers/RBs to go in the first half of the second, in order to be sure we can get one of the good LBs, safeties or guards at #54.

Our next needs are Safety, Nickel Cornerback, Defensive Tackle, SAM Linebacker and Offensive Guard (in no designated order). I'm still hoping for a big Safety like Obi Melifonwu but there will be other good ones still on the board if he is gone. DT Malik McDowell also comes into play as do Offensive Guards like Dion Dawkins. This can a be a best player available selection for rounds 2 and 3 in any of these positions.

I think we can address slot corner later, or we can draft a hybrid SCB/S player like Awuzie, Baker or King and (to a degree) kill 2 birds with one stone, assuming you want Allen to start.

This is the round for safety, LB and maybe guard. One of Baker, Melifonwu, Williams, J Jones, McMillan and Cunningham, Lamp would be ideal. But I wouldn't rule out a BPA type pick that nets us a boundary corner, a TE, a tackle or a center.

Don't nothing about Charles Harris scream slow. He didn't rerun his forty, but he added 5 1/2 inches on his vert. I gotta believe him when he says his legs felt heavy on the day of the draft. Nobody gains that much vert in that short a time. Former basketball player, pfffft. He's another Wake and it will be a fool's errand to try to convince people otherwise til we see him play.

The styles of a lot of these players are so contrasting, it'll be interesting who we take on day 2.

Well....Harris wasnt my prefered pick, but now that hes a dolphin i will root for him to become better at playing the run. Hope we address the G, Lb, or Fs position during rounds 2 and 3

Dawkins & Elder sound good to me, hell even trade back for 2 3rds.... That wouldn't bother me either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeney, Moton, or Dawkins...in that order.

After that, do what you will....

I'd do a backflip if Lamp is available when we pick but even if he's not there's gonna be quality guys there but this organization is so terrible at drafting I fully expect us to take some guy out of left field that isn't worthy

Not happy we pass on Foster. Harris played well and has the best 1st step but my concern is that he didn't play well against LSU a top program. Bad move not taking Foster. We will regret it years to come. But my real opinion is that we should've traded down and got Foster and anther 3rd rounder. Tbum chit the bed.

Not happy we pass on Foster. Harris played well and has the best 1st step but my concern is that he didn't play well against LSU a top program. Bad move not taking Foster. We will regret it years to come. But my real opinion is that we should've traded down and got Foster and anther 3rd rounder. Tbum chit the bed.
Team after team after team all passed on Reuben Foster last night. Mike Mayock alluded to the big problem early in the evening and it's medical. The medical revisit he made to Indianapolis raised big red flags (maybe they were crimson) because of 2 bum shoulders. For all the obvious reasons why Reuben was identified as a likely top 10 Draft pick, irrespective of the diluted sample drug test and the altercation with the medical employee, the big reason why he dropped so dramatically appears to be his medical problems associated with both his shoulders. If the discussion Mayock had with an anonymous GM is accurate, I think the Dolphins did the right thing by passing on Foster.

People just because we did not take foster makes this a bad pick? None of you on here no the real story behind his injuries.you can't take a chance on a 1st round pick. Harris looks like a starter and guy who makes our D better day 1. I we would have signed Hankins it would have given us way more freedom in this draft. Rebuilding the defense is a process, I think they take a guard in rd 3 and go with a corner/safety in round 2. We spent money on LB this year so I believe next year they will focus more on lb and OL. This is pouncys last year as a dolphin and maxwells. The more corners and edge rushers they draft the better chance of hitting on them. You can't fail your team for taking a guy that was rated as the 2nd best edge rusher in the draft. It's who they wanted. I can't take all the criticism from people who know exactly what I left in my toilet bowl this morning

Back
Top Bottom