Thoughts on sites such as Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DuderinoN703, Sep 6, 2015.

1. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

You've heard the commercials. Has anyone had experience on this site and made any money? I'm curious to hear your stories.

2. Dolfan81

Dolfan81 Pro Bowler

A guy I do a league with on yahoo did it last season on fanduel, a 5 dollar league he won 700 in one week

3. DuderinoN703

Did he play any other times? Or got lucky once and then said **** it?

4. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

It is fun, but easy to get carried away. Remember, don't bet more than you are comfortable losing..One tip if you decide to play is to target guys with the lowest salary cost per projected point.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

5. susser2000

susser2000 A True Fan

I played and lost money last season, but I had a friend make a bunch of money last season. He kept playing each week between $150-$300 per week and ended the season up about $1500. It's like any gambling site, you have to spend money to make money if you are playing consistently.

6. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

I play too, haven't won or lost any significant amount of money. I will say this its mainly about matchups and getting lucky on having one guy having a career day. But if you do your research you usually can finish in the top 3 most leagues give a taste to the top 3 guys. The first 3-4 weeks are little shaky because teams are still figuring themselves out so its harder to judge matchups, but some teams just have bad defenses and you kind of focus on those teams. So i try to matchup the worst run defenses with a good RB and same with WR vs. worst Pass def. etc. I am definitely taking the Dolphins defense week one lol, but I usually stay away from the Dolphin players if I can because of my innate bias but if the matchup is obvious like week 1 I'll use them. Kickers for me have always been hit or miss but the logic I use if the team is facing a good top 5 defense and they are weak in general on offense i'll use that kicker, I tend to hover around KC, Oak, SD for their kickers they seem to use them the most but that is anecdotal on my part. Anyway i would love if more one day fantasy guys got together, started weekly threads and compared notes on what players to spotlight. Stat-heads are usually good sources of info

7. DuderinoN703

I'd like to get into it for sure. I'd never throw down $150-300 a week though. I'd probably only try a $20-25 week once and see how I like it. I don't want to lose money monthly as if it's just another bill to pay.

8. Amish Pirate

Amish Pirate Well-Known Member

I got into playing on Fanduel last year. Put $100 in my account and said that is what I was comfortable losing, ended the year with just over $300. I mostly play the NFL but dabble in MLB and NBA. I hate college football and basketball on there. I played like $15 to $25 a week until I started to win and build up a system, then I played more.

9. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

Also Thursday games are friggin poison too UGH so hit or miss

10. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I deposited $25 just to see what it was like. Entered the PGA Championship Millionaire maker several weeks ago for $20. You have to be in the top 25% to win your money back. You pick six golfers and watch your rating rise and drop throughout the weekend with every putt made or missed. It was well worth the entertainment even though I didn't win. At one point I was in the top 1% on Friday morning and my winnings would have been $125. But then 5 of my 6 golfers sucked it out the rest of the tournament and I ended up in the 30% range just out of the money.

I am entered in an NFL contest this week so it will be my first time trying the site for Football. Might be more interesting than the golf. Would recommend just don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

11. DuderinoN703

From what I've read so far it seems like it really isn't worth it. I may burn $50 at some point just to say I did it. We'll see. Thanks all.

12. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

The payouts are pretty lame depending how much you lay out per league, There are $1 leagues and $5 leagues all the way to 1K leagues etc. I usually stick to the $5 and $10 leagues. I used to do fantasy but its such a PITA, doing it every week constantly looking for injuries and waiver wire transactions. If I miss a week its not like my team is F'ed for the season

13. DuderinoN703

Ideally I'd like to play $25 and win $50 that week. I don't even give a **** about a million bucks b/c I'd never expect to get that. The one thing I don't understand yet is, say you're in a league with 24 other people. What if 5 of those folks, including you, have the same exact lineup (player by player) and it's the winning lineup. Do they split it up by 5 people?

It's probably unlikely to have a matching lineup like that but I'm sure it's not impossible.

14. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

They have all kinds of options for play. They have a Double your money contest this week for $25 entry. It is limited to the first 1356 entries. If you finish in the top 600 you win $50. No big payout just double your money if you are in the top 50%. Sounds like that one is exactly what you were asking for. If you have the same lineup as someone else then you both get the same points and share the same place. In this contest it wouldn't matter. You would both win $50 if your scores were in top 600. They also have leagues where you play with as little as 1 opponent. Winner takes all except a small cut for Draft Kings. They have leagues with 100 of thousand of entries that pay giant prizes. Lots of options.

15. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

i tried it out recently myself.... its been fun. i am not a gambler but something to do once in a while.

i been basically only playing the MLB ones... i once in a while do the 3 dollar moonshot ones when i can put together a roster i really like. once in a long time i also do the multipliers 3x, for 5 dollars, when i REALLY like my line-up i have. so far i am up like 35 bucks.

its sometimes lose a few bucks.. .win a few bucks. its not like you build massively i guess unless you hit big. but its fun once again.

lots of free ones to play too for tickets... i do that to mess around with other sports, but not sure what the tickets you could win do!!! lol

16. DuderinoN703

I filled out 4 different rosters last night. We'll see what happens tonight and after MNF :)

17. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

FinYank and I were just talking about this on twitter, in light of the DOJ now looking into both Draft Kings and FanDuel.

I hadn't even heard of weekly money leagues until last offseason. When I saw the proliferation of commercials starting this season, my first thought was that this has to be an EXTREMELY profitable business to afford that much advertising. I mean, they're buying up 2-3X the commercial time of anyone else. That's A LOT of money.

So, if they're making that much money, a lot of people are losing money on these leagues. It's not rocket science.

Also: we keep hearing about these big winners, but...does anyone actually know a guy who has won big; a thousand, or thousands, let alone a million bucks? We're all sports fans here...anyone?

What occurs to me is that the sports book in Vegas is SO tightly regulated, and still some smart guys find ways around the rules to cheat. Not a lot, and mostly it benefits the houses, or believe me, it wouldn't happen. But these companies...they aren't regulated AT ALL. It's an environment ripe for fraud.

The DOJ is talking to average Joes who use the sites, to get a take on their experiences. But if I was investigating, I'd be looking at the tops of the lists; are the companies actually making big payouts? Are there real deposits being made into bank accounts...of REAL people? And how many are real versus shills?

Because they aren't selling these sites on a basis of, "hey, deposit a few bucks and have some fun, maybe win a couple hundred bucks," like the slot machines in Nevada. They're selling the idea that an average guy can just make a deposit, choose a roster and get thousands, even a million.

From what I'm seeing, it's a lot of bull****; a lot of guys losing a little or a lot, and more advertising budget for the sites. Which, again, comes from somewhere.

18. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

I won 57 bucks off of a 5 dollar investment on Sunday...thanks Marcel Reese!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

19. DuderinoN703

I like the commercial where the dude says he put in $20 and has won 2 million. My ****ing ***.

20. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Well my $25 is gone after this past weekend. Played about 10 times and only won once and that was on a PGA event. After losing this past weekend my funds are gone. Just too many players to keep track of. I'm going to stick to betting on the team outcomes at Topbet.com

But I could definitely see where this would be interesting if you were into following all the different players. Just too much work for me.

21. DuderinoN703

I was in 3 leagues this weekend (NFL) and didn't do ****. I only put up $7 but that's besides the point.

22. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Sounds like they might be trying to shut these down. New York is starting the movement.

23. DuderinoN703

Can I get a refund then? :lol:

24. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

No doubt, I want my $25 back to lay on the Dolphins.

Oh wait never mind....

25. DuderinoN703

Keys to winning bets: Bet against Miami, and bet for New England. GOLD.

26. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

I have played both Fanduel and Draftkings.

Started with Fanduel.Put 50$ in and would play 3 games a week.I did win 250$ the week Fanduel play for NYers was suspended.Got a check for 279$ and some change when I cashed out that next week.

That same week I started on Draftkings.Deposited 50 and am at 30$ atm.

I really only limit myself to $6-7 per week of play.A much bigger fan of Fanduel as of last week NYers were allowed back to playing on that site.Love fantasy,helps cure my Sunday Dolphin downer.Love Football more than any other sport.

27. MILLERTIME31

MILLERTIME31 New Member

I started out in 2011 playing FanDuel once and a while for a couple of years. Early on I was doing head to head and some multiplayer leagues. Kept the original $ in there for the next football season. Tried MLB and NBA and actually beat CSURAM88 once in a head to head NBA game. In the 2014 football season FanDuel and DraftKings were advertising on ALL the sports channels that they would match your deposit up to $200. I decided to add $200 to my account thinking I would have a total of $400 added....WRONG!!!! It wasn't until I played a $25.00 game that $1.00 was "released" to my account. Here is how the game worked. I did a head to head game @ $25.00 buy in. The person I was going against paid the $25.00 buy in. The winner wins $45.00 total. That means FanDuel(owned by NBC), the house, gets to keep the $5.00 for the one game. These guys are making boo coo bucks!!!! That is why they advertise SOOOO much!!!! The $5 head to head games will net the winner $9.00 with the "house" making $1.00. There are THOUSANDS of games each week just check the Lobby on their site. I was really pissed that the $200 match wasn't dumped into my account that at the end of the NFL season I cashed out w/$238.00. I did receive a check and put it in the bank. For me to get the "promised" $200 match dollars...I would have to gamble/spend $5,000 at their website......No thanks!!! I play 2 different FFL's and my kids actually were the ones whom brought up playing FanDuel this season. It took about 3 weeks before I decided to play. I only put $50.00 in this time and it showed I still have an available credit potential of $195 or so dollars. I've switched to playing 50/50 games....those are stacked too. You have $25 entry per player and a pool of 344 players. The top 150 players with the most points will win $50.00. My math shows 150 winners/150 losers = 300 players.....again, the house is making $25.00 X 44 player of the 344 in the game. That's $1,100.00 for the house to host just that one daily league. The leagues range from $1 - $5,300. It is entertainment for myself, but after playing for a while now...I've noticed some of the same screen names and it looks like a job for most of these guys. I referenced beating CSURAM88 above as I have continually seen his name throughout multiple games and multiple entries. You can click on the screen name and see their record. He has over 171K wins!!!! I use 4for4.com for my Fantasy League info and his screen name was mentioned....hmmmm. I remember playing that guy before....clicked on his name and saw his icon "Fantasy Labs". I googled that and he actually has a website www.fantasylabs.com that shows a picture of him holding one of those oversized checks for $1,000,000.00!!!! We'll I can say I beat a Million $ winner in Fantasy Sports once!!! Anyway, unless you have an awesome lineup and luck on your side....you won't win much in the BIG Tourneys....stick the 50/50's and if you know a little bit....you can win weekly. I started out w/$50.00 and am up to $150.00 by playing $5-25 games. These are common people that might get in to "try it out"....take their money. If you start getting into the $50.00 and higher games....these are the professionals that crunch #'s and have formulas for this stuff!! Anyway, only gamble/play what you can afford to lose. Good Luck!!!

28. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

What you're talking about is rake, and its the norm when gambling... Its the same as betting on a game in vegas, if you bet a 100 and win, you only get 90 while if you lose you lose the whole 100... The reality is that maybe 10-15% of the regulars player pool are long run winners... You have to understand that some people do this for a living, so while you're at work doong whatever it is that you do, they are studying the game and create edges for themselves... Its just the way it is, the good news is, that just like poker, there's alot of luck involved so anyone still has a shot at winning big, its just lotto for sports fans....