Thunder, Lightning, and Hail: A closer look at the Miami Dolphins’ running back situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thunder, Lightning, and Hail: A closer look at the Miami Dolphins’ running back situation

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami’s roster today boasts its own version of Thunder and Lightning in Jay Ajayi and Kenyan Drake, but the duo has a third member whom we shall call Hail for the sake of continuity, and the name actually fits for his role in the offensive scheme. Damien Williams is that sudden cold burst that pelts the opposition with a barrage of chilling opportunities and it shows in his eight total touchdowns last season.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2017/6/...-backs-jay-ajayi-damien-williams-kenyan-drake

So many potential play-makers. Do we have the offensive line to allow these pieces to click? Just like all the other parts of the team, we need health & continuity. Our top 5 lineman need to be determined sooner this year so they get the chance to become cohesive.

Up next, we move on to the lightning-in-a-bottle, Kenyan Drake. Not only did he show bursts of speed and an ability to make edge defenders miss, but he also showed us he can handle the workload by returning punts in an electrifying way

Drake never returned a punt. Must have meant to say K.O.
Drake and Williams both ran the exact same 40 at the combine at 4.45. Ajayi was 4.57

So many mistakes in that article. Not only did Drake not return punts, he scored two rushing TDs, not zero. And Williams only had 6 TDs, not eight.

So many mistakes in that article. Not only did Drake not return punts, he scored two rushing TDs, not zero. And Williams only had 6 TDs, not eight.

Plus, as unflattering a name as it may be, Ajayi makes better sense as "Hail", pummeling you into submission

What's the difference between an "article" and a "blog post?"

Neat name, nice article ... but I think it misses a few key elements. Like Lightning, Drake is a sudden strike that isn't really a dependable source of energy. His injury history is not good. But this should provide opportunities for Williams to shine in a contract year. The contract year motivation often brings out the best in a RB, and for Williams, this will be THE year.

I'm expecting our offense to make a good leap forward this year, with more touches available for all of the RB's. Adding Asiata and Fasano helps the run game. Healthy deep threats of Stills, Parker, Thomas, Drake, Grant ... that should prevent us from seeing so many stacked boxes, meaning more running this year. It also should mean more productivity from our runs, even against good fronts like the Jets and Bills. I guess adding Kony Ealy means I need to add the Patriots to that list ... ugh.

Williams benefitted a lot from being a distraction FB. While nobody sees him as a fullback, defenses regularly keyed on Ajayi near the goal line leaving the fullback Williams to get minimal resistance into the end zone. I suspect those opportunities will shrink this year, but he'll still get the snaps at FB, and will likely get a few more receiving TD's off play-action near the goal line. With Drake's health, all the hits Ajayi will take this year from an increased passing game role, and the sheer volume of more run plays (and more plays total), I'm expecting Williams to have ample opportunity to ball out in a contract year ... and I'm hoping he does just that.

Last year we were worried about the health of Albert, Maxwell, Misi, Alonso and Drake. This year, I think we're in a better position regarding all of their health situations with Albert gone, Maxwell healed, Misi replaced by Timmons and McMillan, Alonso healed up, and Drake showing decent durability. But, I'm still watching the health of Drake and Julius Thomas very closely. If those two guys can stay healthy ... it bodes very well for our offense.

Our offense will lead the way this year...we will be tough to defend with the game planning Gase will give us...

I'll play along...

Daniel Thomas = gail force wind

Dallas "The Glacier" Thomas

Joe Philbin = Tropical Depression

Subtract his health issues and I think Drake could be a starter right now for any team.

So many potential play-makers. Do we have the offensive line to allow these pieces to click? Just like all the other parts of the team, we need health & continuity. Our top 5 lineman need to be determined sooner this year so they get the chance to become cohesive.

I'm struggling with "lightning" - I don't see the speed to make that connection. I'd probably go with Shake and Quake. Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, but more accurate. I can't see 3 RBs getting significant snaps. THat said, if the OL holds up, this RB corp could be fun to watch, regardless of name.

I love the irony of pte-draft wishing for playmakers and the post draft concerns of our offensive line.

Maybe pay more attention to your house before you buy that dream car.

Back
Top Bottom