Tim Bowens: Implications of retirement | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tim Bowens: Implications of retirement

DolfanDaveInMI

Active Roster
Reaction score
Given Bowens' age and back injury, it is safe to assume that he won't be back in a Dolphins uniform next year. (Which is a shame because he was such a good player for us for so many years.)

I think the cap page makes clear that releasing Bowens costs the team $2.1 million in dead cap next year but we would deduct the rest of his base salary (whatever that is) from our salary cap. Am I correct to understand that if he retires instead, there is no dead cap and we can deduct his entire base salary from our salary cap?

DolfanDaveInATX said:
Am I correct to understand that if he retires instead, there is no dead cap and we can deduct his entire base salary from our salary cap?

No, unamortized signing bonus money does not disappear. It is money that already has been paid and will all be charged to team salary as dead money if he retires or is released before 6/01.

All money due or correctly charged (signing bonus proration and incentives) to a player for the year is added to total team salary and that amount is compared to the salary cap for the year. This is actual procedure and will help make the rules make sense.

Back
Top Bottom