Time for the Fins to use "The Pistol" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Time for the Fins to use "The Pistol"

good change of pace, but isn't the best offense used for Tanny. I love using the pistol for the zone read bc u don't know where it is going. I would like to see the pistol zone read as another element to compliment what we are doing on offense for about 3-9 snaps a game. But I don't want Tannehill to get hurt bc the thought of Devlin entering a game right now scares me.

I want Tannehill to use his athleticism as a last resort measure. If the field is wide open or if he is trying to escape. I don't want us to rely on his mobility, because then he has a higher chance of getting hurt.

Again, who won the Superbowl. A dropback quarterback. These pistol offenses and athletic QBs win games but they dont win championships.

The Pistol will go by the wayside just like the Wild Cat did.

Defenses will figure it out. Baltimore had a pretty good plan in the Super Bowl. Teams will try to copy it.

Again, who won the Superbowl. A dropback quarterback. These pistol offenses and athletic QBs win games but they dont win championships.

SF was five yards away and a blatant defensive holding/pass interference non call from winning the Super Bowl. What are you talking about?

Use the pistol and get Tannehill killed, then wait another decade or so for a decent quarterback. No thank you.

And here I was recently told by a fellow FH poster, that the new fad was multiple TE sets. Hmmm.....

As for this cool idea. Are you kidding me? Seriously?

Getting your QB hit by design runs, on a normal basis, makes no ****ing sense. None. Give me a athletic pocket passer who can roll out, climb the pocket and scramble when needed. And we will have a quality QB for many years.

And here I was recently told by a fellow FH poster, that the new fad was multiple TE sets. Hmmm.....

As for this cool idea. Are you kidding me? Seriously?

Getting your QB hit by design runs, on a normal basis, makes no ****ing sense. None. Give me a athletic pocket passer who can roll out, climb the pocket and scramble when needed. And we will have a quality QB for many years.

Yeap. These Pistol offenses are all the rage early on but are short-lived.

People love RGIII now but soon won't be able to understand why he's not as successful as his rookie season going forward.

Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan on Serous NFL were talking about how you stop it before the Super Bowl
Almost the same as the Wildcat.

Run blitz and protect the strong side. Force the pass, same as the Wild cat.

And as passing plays go, the read option isn't best suited for a cerebral QB.

The QB has to hold the ball almost 2 seconds before he is ready to pass. Defenders can wait until the last second to show their defensive positioning and coverage.
They can actually wait until after the ball is snapped to move to zone. The read option cancels out any pre-snap reads if the D plays it right. Just watch what baltimore did to it.
Same thing they did to our Wild cat back in 2008. Shut it down.

RG3is exhibit 1, why i dont want it. Kaepernick while i believe is a better pocket passer, still was only subject to half a season worth of hits, plus he's bigger than Griffen. Let me see them be a full time pocket passer, who only runs when either avoidi.g a sack or occasionally on a designed play. You'd think coaches and fans would learn, stud pocket passers are the ones winning Super Bowls. Running QB, who are dependent on running for success just take too much abuse. This is why Shanahan should be fired, he ran his rookie head long into the NFL buzz saw. Which is why he was hurt like 3 times as a rookie.

Back
Top Bottom