time to look at our drafts under parcells | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

time to look at our drafts under parcells

Picked up some decent guys overall, but picking up a franchise QB is the most vital aspect for any new regime and unfortunately this regime did not hit on one.

We rebuilt the defense in 3 years . . . Incredible job.

Where we failed was with the OLine picks. The failure on the OLine is even more disappointing than the job done to the defense. Not only dont we have reliable starters . . . we dont have reliable depth. We haven't addressed the RB position . . . we haven't addressed the TE position . . . we look for hailmary's at WR and they don't pan out. Where we truly blew it was in 2009 . . . we should have been able to fix the defense then, instead of drafting 2 projects in the 2nd and 3rd round. Then in 2010 . . . we could have gotten a WR and a RB.

Oh well, it is spilt milk and we gotta move on with a new OC and maybe a new coach.

here is my evaluation

1 1 MIA Jake Long T Great Player
2 32 MIA Phillip Merling DE Not good
2 57 MIA Chad Henne abortion of a player
3 66 MIA Kendall Langford DE good
4 110 MIA Shawn Murphy T not on team
6 176 MIA Jalen Parmele RB sucks
6 195 MIA Donald Thomas G not on team
6 204 MIA Lex Hilliard RB not very good
7 245 MIA Lionel Dotson DT practice squad, not very good

1 25 MIA Vontae Davis DB good
2 44 MIA Pat White QB not on team
2 61 MIA Sean Smith DB good
3 87 MIA Patrick Turner WR not on team
4 108 MIA Brian Hartline WR good
5 161 MIA John Nalbone TE not on team
5 165 MIA Chris Clemons DB too early to tell
6 181 MIA Andrew Gardner T not on team
7 214 MIA J.D. Folsom LB doesn't play

1 28 MIA Jared Odrick DE injured 1st year, 3rd 3-4 DE taken in first 66 picks in last 3 years. They already have Randy Starks.
2 40 MIA Koa Misi LB ok so far. didn't need to use pick if moron ireland didn't trade matt roth for no reason.
3 73 MIA John Jerry T injured/ can't beat out pat ****ing mcquistan
4 119 MIA A.J. Edds LB injured
5 145 MIA Nolan Carroll DB too early
5 163 MIA Reshad Jones DB good special teamer/ fill in
7 212 MIA Chris McCoy DE
7 252 MIA Austin Spitler

outstanding analysis of the 2008 draft

Actually, I think they have done a good job in acquiring talent and building a young core. It is too easy to sit and judge missed pick, but the reality is EVERY team misses picks every year in the draft. Also, to only look at the draft with out looking at FA and trades is not understanding the context of building the team. Also, re-signing players from former regimes is important. We are much, much better off with the core intact than what was in place only three years ago.

As someone who wants Sparano and Henne out I have to say that I really don't think the drafts have been that bad. Compare these drafts to what we had the previous 5 years before Parcells and Ireland. As someone mentioned, the defense has been totally rebuilt.

That's like comparing YOUR MORNING BOWEL MOVEMENT TO YOUR EVENING BOWL MOVEMENT
THEY BOTH STINK

As far as the defense How much was due to the draft
versus free agency

Wake..not drafted
McDaniel...not drafted
Dansby...not drafted
Starks...not drafted
Sapp...not drated
Moses...not drafted
Dobbins...not drafted
Harris...not drafted
Bell...not drafted by this regime
Crowder...not drafted by this regime
Soliai...not drafted by this regime

Don't say the drafting is good or look at the defense
The defense has 2 players drafted making a difference
LANGFORD AND DAVIS...THE REST CAME BY TRADE,FREE AGENCY,OR WERE HERE

Did this regime rebuild this defense...yes
but not through the draft

That's like comparing YOUR MORNING BOWEL MOVEMENT TO YOUR EVENING BOWL MOVEMENT
THEY BOTH STINK

As far as the defense How much was due to the draft
versus free agency

Wake..not drafted
McDaniel...not drafted
Dansby...not drafted
Starks...not drafted
Sapp...not drated
Moses...not drafted
Dobbins...not drafted
Harris...not drafted
Bell...not drafted by this regime
Crowder...not drafted by this regime
Soliai...not drafted by this regime

Don't say the drafting is good or look at the defense
The defense has 2 players drafted making a difference
LANGFORD AND DAVIS...THE REST CAME BY TRADE,FREE AGENCY,OR WERE HERE

Did this regime rebuild this defense...yes
but not through the draft

I also said you have to compare our drafts to that of other teams. Everyone in this thread is going through our drafts and saying two or three starters from a draft isnt enough. But what have other teams gotten? It could be more, and if so then you can say Ireland and Parcells haven't done a good job drafting. But until you have something to compare it too this is all just an assumption.

Doom and Gloom, The drafts have been pretty solid..We will see how many will last,but the D is def much improved..The influx of young talent has helped.

The only draft pick that made you go WTF was Pat White..

Picking Turner and Hartline early, as most called it reaches was understandable cause we had no decent WR's

Hartline has been pretty good..Turner was a complete bust..You dont expect that from someone who was a 3rd rounder and most thought he was going to be picked in the 4th or 5 round..

no that isnt the only pick and while our defense is improved would it be any good if nolan wasnt here? would it be any good if he left? we dont have ANY PLAYMAKERS get it? and while wake was a great find the defenses turnaround this year is largely based on the play of Soliai (who randy mueller drafted btw), wake (who wasnt a "find" by this regime) and Dansby....all they had to do with him is offer the MOST MONEY WHICH THEY DID. so to talk about how the draft has turned around this defense somehow would be completely ridiculous. we HAVE NOT FOUND ONE IMPACT DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT IN 3 YEARS. NOT ONE. Jimmy Johnson found at LEAST 5 in 2 YEARS for perspective. so give me a break with this bs......and where is the impact on offense???

they HAVE NOT drafted WELL....have they been the worst drafts in the NFL? no....but keep in mind all the additonal picks weve had.....we simply have not come away with as much talent as we should have....havent come away with PLAYMAKERS....IMPACT players the way we should have

here is my evaluation

1 1 MIA Jake Long T Great Player
2 32 MIA Phillip Merling DE Not good
2 57 MIA Chad Henne abortion of a player
3 66 MIA Kendall Langford DE good
4 110 MIA Shawn Murphy T not on team
6 176 MIA Jalen Parmele RB sucks
6 195 MIA Donald Thomas G not on team
6 204 MIA Lex Hilliard RB not very good
7 245 MIA Lionel Dotson DT practice squad, not very good

1 25 MIA Vontae Davis DB good
2 44 MIA Pat White QB not on team
2 61 MIA Sean Smith DB good
3 87 MIA Patrick Turner WR not on team
4 108 MIA Brian Hartline WR good
5 161 MIA John Nalbone TE not on team
5 165 MIA Chris Clemons DB too early to tell
6 181 MIA Andrew Gardner T not on team
7 214 MIA J.D. Folsom LB doesn't play

1 28 MIA Jared Odrick DE injured 1st year, 3rd 3-4 DE taken in first 66 picks in last 3 years. They already have Randy Starks.
2 40 MIA Koa Misi LB ok so far. didn't need to use pick if moron ireland didn't trade matt roth for no reason.
3 73 MIA John Jerry T injured/ can't beat out pat ****ing mcquistan
4 119 MIA A.J. Edds LB injured
5 145 MIA Nolan Carroll DB too early
5 163 MIA Reshad Jones DB good special teamer/ fill in
7 212 MIA Chris McCoy DE
7 252 MIA Austin Spitler

so weve had 26 picks in 3 drafts that we were only ASSIGNED 21 draft picks... the additional picks mostly coming from Randy Muellers attempt at acquiring additonal picks and trading talent this regime inherited. so 26 picks including what amounts to 4 first rounders and 4 second rounders and weve had all of our 3rd and 4th round picks AND we picked first overall one year. in other words our drafts as a whole have been very top heavy and included an abundance of picks.

and we are left with 4 "good" players and 1 "great" player and a player who didnt need to be drafted because we cut matt roth for no reason. and this is ACCURATE i would agree with you nopoker as did another poster.

and even 2 of the "good" players are somewhat debatable smith was a second rounder cant catch a pass to save his life and got beat out by Jason Allen of all people who is BEYOND terrible. and Hartline who really is a 4th wide-out (or should be)....and the "great" player might have been the biggest mistake these guys EVER made in ANY of their picks cause they passed a franchise qb the only chance they had to get one.

this is roughly a 20% success rate and they have found absolutely ZERO guys that win ballgames. Jimmy by comparision found at least 4 in the same amount of time. there is no way to justify these drafts somehow and say these guys are doing a good job at bringing young sustainable talent to Miami. its just not happening any way u cut it. and i cant stress this enough ZERO PLAYMAKERS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BALL. ZERO. ZERO. get it? ZERO in three years.

you WIN in the NFL with GUYS THAT MAKE PLAYS. there is ABSOLUTELY no way to dispute this. and we have found NONE

well i was going to list all the players but that got screwed up when i posted......but in reality what we see above is what we have ANYWAYS after their first 2 drafts (ill give them a pass so far on this year....its too early to pass judgement)

despite the fact we had an additional first rounder that everybody seems to continue to forget about AS WELL AS an additonal 2nd rounder that RANDY MUELLER obtained for us in the fantastic chris chambers trade AND the NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT

we came away with Jake Long and Kendall Langford.....thats a complete joke folks for a team picking first in each round AND several additional picks in the draft!

in year two again with an additonal second rounder obtained by trading away our former DPOY Jason Taylor and several additonal 5 rounders we came away with Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Brian Hartline and Chris Clemons... i would say that Clemons and Hartline are very replaceable as they are average NFL players at best at this point. same could probably be said of Smith.

so thats not really saying much after two drafts that had MUCH MORE AMMUNITION going in than any normal draft....so neither of these drafts can be compared to an average year.....we simply had way more picks and were picking in very favorable postions. and essentially came away with nothing.

in addition they got rid of a guy that should have been the answer for us on the strongside at OLB in Matt Roth for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. and the guy most likely to make a big play and find his way to the end zone for this team despite all the hate among fans who were wrong about the guy (ted ginn) simply because he was picked ninth and we didnt draft brady quinn.....well that turned out to be the CORRECT CHOICE didnt it? in fact if you look at that draft there are only a few players that we should have taken in front of Ginn.....but we had so many holes we needed to create an identity...Ginn was to help in that new offensive philosophy by spreading the field vertically (which by the way would have been FAR MORE SUCCESSFUL then the current bull**** we watch). we got rid of him for nothing.

my contention would be that Randy Muellers ONLY draft in Miami was better than ANY of Parcells drafts have been....and that includes ****ing up with john beck.....but guess what...AT LEAST THEY TOOK A SHOT....at least we know they had him above brady quinn! ..... wel guess what....we didnt have Henne ABOVE matt ryan.....so it was a COMPLETE fail to take Long BEFORE you take your franchise QB.....in addition look at ALL the QBs in that Mueller draft NOBODY was any good.....nobody panned out.....so look at the rest of that draft. Mueller did a better job than these guys

When you started talking about Ginn, I lost all respect for your knowledge of the game and players. Ginn was nothing but speed. It takes more than that to make it in the NFL. Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but Ginn sucks and shouldn't even be mentioned.

When you started talking about Ginn, I lost all respect for your knowledge of the game and players. Ginn was nothing but speed. It takes more than that to make it in the NFL. Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but Ginn sucks and shouldn't even be mentioned.

well then you dont have a clue dude in limited action returning kicks and punts hes taken at least 7 to the house in what amounts to by my estimation less than 2 full years of return duty. several of them were called back.....three of them on terrible holding calls on miami that didnt affect the play ie he was already ten yards BEYOND where the call was made or there wasnt holing to begin with.

sorry dude ANYBODY that cant take that many returns and change field postion that quickly in that short a period of time IS A PLAYER

stop being clouded by your faulty expectations based on the fact you wanted brady quinn (who blows by the way) dude.

I'm sorry -- but why are we even evaluating players drafted in 6th and 7th rounds? Most don't pan out, regardless of the team. And please, don't reply back with the anomalies (Colston, etc) who DID pan out.

Here's my opinion:

They drafted arguably the best LT in the game.
They drafted arguably the most underrated corner in the game.
They drafted a cornerback who, if he could catch the ball, would have at least 5 interceptions so far this year.
I could keep going.

And for those who favor Clay Matthews over Vontae, please remember that the Dolphins had already signed Cameron Wake for as the rush linebacker. Cornerback was definitely a more needed position at the time.

Here are the only *stupid* picks they have made over the last 3 years:
Pat White
Patrick Turner
Shawn Murphy

Do I really need to spend my night proving to those who do not look beyond their team that EVERY team gets a bust or two in their drafts? Look at Jerry Hughes with the Colts this year. How about the myriad of 2nd round picks over the last couple of years who have been released or traded for nothing?

Sorry, but I can't help myself here:

CaptainHindsight-1.png

Attachments

• Captain-Hindsight.png
    Captain-Hindsight.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
Compare to Pats drafts then

As someone who wants Sparano and Henne out I have to say that I really don't think the drafts have been that bad. Compare these drafts to what we had the previous 5 years before Parcells and Ireland. As someone mentioned, the defense has been totally rebuilt. There were a few misses, but if you look at other team's drafts I'm betting that they aren't much better in rounds 4+. We have landed a lot of good players late and as FAs (Wake, Carpenter, Bess, Hartline, Carroll, Jones, Clemons) that have really contributed to the team. Are they all superstars? No. But in past regimes we got nothing of value late.
Truthfully, NE's FA are better than the folks we drafted.
They are unfortunately smarter where it counts...MGT.
I would be willing to wager there are 10 teams that, if considered with an unbiased mind, have done far better than us.
Personally, the Long over Ryan is Parcell's legacy. If you have no breakaway Rb or franchise QB, what the heck difference does it make to have a stud O-Lineman?
It's been shown that an average line will block like madmen for a stud RB that rewards them for opening a whole, and a QB that gets rid of it successfully more often than not.

I ran a poll on a Herald forum asking who we should draft with our overall #1, and a HUGE majority (many of you folks, I'm sure..LOL) voted Long.
Not me.
Does anyone seriously think the "Hogs" of Redskins fame would be as celebrated if they weren't blocking for the likes of Riggins, Theisman, and such. I'll readily admit it's a 2 way street, and neither Riggins nor Joe would have been as good without that huge O-Line.
The Dolphins have been cursed for a decade, due to the lack of a 1st class GM.
Till we get that problem ameliorated, I'm afraid it will be more of the same.

Just my thoughts. BTW, I miss this place, and with the Herald forums now such a mess, I hope to contribute (and learn) a bit more around here.
Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom